Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Time Machine/Capsule

I had chronic problem with my MBA waking after >24 sleep to a non-working state
Screen scrambled and unresponsive to any input

Dropped it off at Apple Store for a few days where they discovered they could not reproduce when running from their external drive, suggesting I had something incompatible lurking in my hd

So after clean install, I reinstalled the few apps I use on that machine rather than migrating from my MBP as I originally had done
No problems now - but I made an observation during this process that leaves me with a different question:

I had this MBA on my TC from day 1
When I initially connected back on my network after setting up the Air to the state I wanted, TC reported I had no previous backups - ok I guess
Then I ran the big initial backup overnight
Next morning I checked TM and it showed my oldest backup was Dec '12, the first backup I ever did after purchasing/migrating

TC/TM didn't know I had earlier backups until I did another full backup
Somehow doesn't seem right
What am I missing?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Part of the first backup is scanning existing backups to determine if they came from the same machine. If it finds one, it merges the old backups with the new backup. I believe if you watch the status during the first backup, you'll see something that says "scanning existing backup" or similar.

Until it runs that scan, TM doesn't know that backup set "belongs" to the computer.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Thanks for that
I understand better now, however

What if I had of wanted to restore my Air instead?
Sounds like I would have needed to burn ~20 gigs of TC space doing a full backup to gain access to a previous backup, that I would then have to wait again for that to transfer over

Is that how it plays out?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

No.. "Restore from Time Machine" inside the OS X installer and Migration Assistant (on first boot of a new system) handle it differently. It will present a list of the backups, even from other computers, and you have to pick the one you want. It will then perform the restore/migration from the backup you selected immediately.

On first backup after restoring/migrating, Time Machine will run the same scan I mentioned earlier to find the existing backup and pick up from where it left off.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Liberty

Tucson, AZ

Got it
Thanks