spc
Search similar:

uniqs
maxmonty
join:2004-06-18
Oakville, ON

maxmonty

Fixed wireless question....

I have Xplornet wireless (they bought out Hummingbird Wireless). The service is really bad and Xplornet won't do anything about it (they want me to switch to the sat service). My question is, what source is the wireless tower using? It's less than 1 km from me and I'm curious what is running to the tower? Fiber?
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith

Premium Member

It depends. The connections to the tower would depend on what's available from the normal wired-line providers (cable, DSL, etc). Where there is none, they do a wireless backhaul to the next tower. In extreme cases there may be several hops back to a tower that has a wired connection.

Are you on Xplornet's WiMax? What's your definition of "really bad"? Depending on your expectations, satellite most likely won't be a viable option either.

Brad.
maxmonty
join:2004-06-18
Oakville, ON

maxmonty

There's no cable or dsl anywhere nearby. Not that I've been able to find anyway. Right now, I can't even browse reliably. And no, I'm not looking forward to the sat bandwidth caps.
Was hoping maybe there was something I might be able to tap into
jett
join:2003-06-28
Kitchener, ON

jett to maxmonty

to maxmonty
you wont like sat service.... its terrible... check for other wireless ISPS in the area.

they are all pretty bad and dont care about their customers, but here is a list of isps that my beable to help you better.
»www.wellington.ca/en/bus ··· rnet.asp