spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jwilliams
@comcastbusiness.net

jwilliams

Anon

Comcast internet for motel room

I live in a motel, the motel has Comcast business internet and TV, however the wifi towards the back of the motel where I live is extremely spotty and unusable. So I am unable to use the motels internet.

Since I have lived here for a long time and will continue to do so, I decided to see if I could order a separate Comcast service for only my hotel room.

I figure if I can get Comcast tv in my room I should be able to get a separate Comcast service right? Will there be any issues with the wiring?

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

I dont think you will be able to do this. Comcast doesnt normally give residential services at a business adress, unless there is a seperate meter.

You may want to try a mifi, or another wireless device.

Or, just go to Starbucks to surf!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to jwilliams

Premium Member

to jwilliams
Just talk to the motel owner to resolve it.

Maybe some higher gain antennas, or maybe you can workout something to get some cat5 run.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to jwilliams

Premium Member

to jwilliams
Unfortunately its a no-go. Many hotels have private cable headend systems where either a satellite or cable television service comes in to a central point and is split between 50-60 receivers (1 for each channel) on a rack since most Comcast systems are digital and satellite requires an IRD to get the signal and then is combined to an unencrypted analog signal so they don't have to put a set-top/IRD in each guest room. It also allows them to offer channels to their guest that would normally be encrypted anyways like HBO.

So there is a 95 percent chance that cable signal coming in your room is NOT coming off of the Comcast system. I would either talk to hotel management about fixing the Wi-Fi or I would get a cellular broadband card.

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam to jwilliams

to jwilliams
I don't have experience with these but a Yagi antenna may help you. Here's one with good reviews. »www.amazon.com/USB-Yagi- ··· duct_top
theisonews
join:2013-09-19
Miami, FL

theisonews to jwilliams

to jwilliams
this will fix your problem. it has a 5 dbi antenna, you can also upgrade to a 10dbi attena. It has long range. if you have low signal strength, this will give you 6 green lights.

»www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS ··· 02WCEWU8

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

then get this
»www.radiolabs.com/produc ··· enna.php

15bd ant, you'll be sure to get a signal then.