Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

avze

join:2013-08-19

Hardrive opinions before changing

I have a workstation that has the following Internal HDD specs:
500GB SATA 7200 rpm 3Gb/s 3.5" HDD 16Mb

I want to purchase another HDD like this one in case this one starts to die, but according to the catalog, it only lists SATA3 or SATAIII or SATAII. But I do not see just only SATA listed.
Will this be an issue?

Will these below be compatible if I only have just SATA?
500GB Seagate 3.5" 7200rpm 16MB SATAIII

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

SATA 3Gb/s IS SATA II
However, you can use a SATA III HDD without a problem. It will just run at SATA II speeds.

avze

1 edit

so i can indeed use the following HDD below?

Also i have a win7 image, if i get this new HDD, will it conflict with the image i have?
Or when it comes to hardrives, it does not care what image you have?
If I would change out the whole motherboard, then YES, the image will not be compatible with the drivers of the new motherboard, but as for the HDD, will this matter?

thanks

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

said by avze:

so i can indeed use the following HDD below?

thanks

Yes. And you can read more about it if you wish here: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA#SATA_···0_MB.2Fs

avze

Also i have a win7 image which was created from the current HDD, if i get this new HDD, will it conflict with the image i have?
If I would change out the whole motherboard, then YES, the image will not be compatible with the drivers of the new motherboard, but as for the HDD, will this matter?

bbear2
Premium

said by avze:

Also i have a win7 image which was created from the current HDD, if i get this new HDD, will it conflict with the image i have?

When adding additional drives, you can do so it several ways. I will assume you are not going to RAID them. With the second and subsequent drives, they can simply be drives attached to your system in the for or user partitions. Mount as many as you wish and use them as you will (w/o an OS). The other way is to load an OS on your second drive too, then you can boot from either the 1st or 2nd drive. This way you need to be a little careful about because strange things can happen when you hibernate / sleep or change system files on one that is not the boot OS. but it can be done and there are reasons people do so.

When you purchase a new drive, it often asks you how do you want to use it; do you want to clone your existing one or do you want to start with the new one blank and go from there.

avze

No, i am trying to make this simple.
I will get this new HDD and if my current HDD fails on me, then i can replace it. Thats that. No additional drives in the machine. Only one physical drive. And I am not planning on adding another HDD.
So in case this one fails, then I can just grab the new HDD replace it, and then restoring my image on that.

But one thing i was thought, that first i have to go into the BIOS to make sure the new HDD is recognized. And then proceed from there.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

To answer it correctly, it depends on the motherboard, some like to enforce the sata150 rule via the jumper on the HDD.

Otherwise any standard commercial HDD is absolutely fine.

avze

So would this be fine as per my PC specs?

I need to make sure before getting it.

bbear2
Premium
reply to avze

said by avze:

No, i am trying to make this simple.
I will get this new HDD and if my current HDD fails on me, then i can replace it. Thats that. No additional drives in the machine. Only one physical drive. And I am not planning on adding another HDD.
So in case this one fails, then I can just grab the new HDD replace it, and then restoring my image on that.

But one thing i was thought, that first i have to go into the BIOS to make sure the new HDD is recognized. And then proceed from there.

There's a problem in your logic. You say:
1. if case this one fails.
2. can just grab the new HDD replace it.
3. restoring my image on that.

If #1 happens, how do you expect to do #3 "after" it fails, assuming the failure is such that you can no longer read from it? Do you have a backup image that you maintain regularly somewhere else?

avze

1 edit

1. If my current drive fails then I can just swap it out and swap in the new one.
2. Then i would go into the BIOS to make sure the new drive is recognized.
3. Then, i would restore the OS image from an external USB flash drive onto the new drive.

I already have a "master" image or "base" install image that I keep handy on my USb flash drive.
And plus I have files backed up as well.

The base installation OS image has been already done from this or current drive. So i am not worried. And I keep it on my USB pen drive. Hope this makes sense.

bbear2
Premium

If all you are wanting to do is to get back up and running if your SATA II HDD fails and replace it with SATA III; you should be fine. The wiki article I referenced above explains they are compatible. And generally regardless of your Windows OS image. And most BIOS' these days will simply recognize the SATA III HDD without issue. Since you haven't said what type of MB or system it is, it would be difficult to state 100% yes.

Here's what I would, buy the SATA III HDD. Install it along with your existing only to do an image copy and a little burn-in. Then if you need it, you at least know it already has an image from that day and that it works to some extent. HDDs like other devices tend to have infant mortality, so having a new HDD sitting on your shelf will not necessarily guarantee it's a good one. Hence why I say to use it for a while before storing it on the shelf.