spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wondering49

@137.122.31.x

[Cable] Rogers telling us Tek Savvy offers slowing speed

So we called Rogers to cancel our internet service. We tell the lady that we're looking into tek savvy's services (though we're not sure yet seeing as there seems to be a lot of outages...).

Anyway, this lady says that in between 7pm and 12am, the internet speed gets dropped from 25 mpbs (what we want) to 10 mpbs. Is that true? I mean it's their cable line, why would it be so crappy between those busy hours, but not for Rogers?

Is this just an idiot who doesn't understand the concept of defamation or is it actually slower between those hours?

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
No, it's not true.. its called being anti competitive. 100% false, hoping you're uneducated enough to buy the propaganda they are selling.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Wondering49
said by [Wondering49 :

]Is this just an idiot who doesn't understand the concept of defamation

Dead on.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to Wondering49
said by [Wondering49 :

]So we called Rogers to cancel our internet service. We tell the lady that we're looking into tek savvy's services (though we're not sure yet seeing as there seems to be a lot of outages...).

Anyway, this lady says that in between 7pm and 12am, the internet speed gets dropped from 25 mpbs (what we want) to 10 mpbs. Is that true? I mean it's their cable line, why would it be so crappy between those busy hours, but not for Rogers?

Is this just an idiot who doesn't understand the concept of defamation or is it actually slower between those hours?

It's a lie based on the fact that Acanac does this. TekSavvy does not.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2
said by The Mongoose:

Acanac has never done this. It is in their terms of use should they need to in order to keep network congestion under control while still offering unlimited service for less than the price of competitors capped service. They have never had to implement it.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:25
reply to Wondering49
Not true at all.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to Samgee
said by Samgee:

said by The Mongoose:

Acanac has never done this. It is in their terms of use should they need to in order to keep network congestion under control while still offering unlimited service for less than the price of competitors capped service. They have never had to implement it.

They advertise it on the main page of their service, as such it would be fair game for Rogers (or anyone else) to say they do it. TekSavvy, as mentioned, has nothing to do with this practice.

»www.acanac.com/cable.html

lij

@78.129.148.x
reply to Wondering49
Same thing happened last week to one of my friends. She was calling to get cable tv and when the CSR tried to upsell internet she mentioned teksavvy and the CSR told her all about how they go down all the time, are unreliable, slow down at night etc.

Perhaps some TSI staff should be calling in as customers and take recordings as for the upcoming CRTC proceedings. Seems like it's more widespread than just one CSR trying to make a sale.

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
reply to Wondering49
TSI would never intentionally throttle you. TSI instead goes out and buys more bandwidth. That said Rogers might not have enough bandwidth, which may slow in peak.

You may get capacity choking on the local cable node in peak. But that is entirely a Rogers issue. And 'SHOULD' be equally effecting the Rogers users as well. And that is just a maintenance/upgrade issue on the cable plant.

It is also 'possible' that TSI maybe able to reach capacity in peak on the link they have. But last I read TSI isn't running % wise anything near capacity. They got lots of room.

One of the TSI maybe able to clarify for us what capacity TSI run at as a maintained target on their links?

Is it possible that speed will drop between 7-12. YES.

Is TSI throttling you. NO

If congested at Peak. Would/should the congestion causing speed drop be present on another TPIA or the Incumbent (ROGERS). YES.

The CSR's are just trying to fear you into staying a Rogers customer, and hoping you are not informed.

Rogersnomore

@teksavvy.com

2 recommendations

reply to Wondering49
When I called to cancel my Rogers service, the salesman told me Teksavvy gets whatever bandwidth is left over, after Rogers customers (I took that to mean QOS priority to Rogers customers).

A total lie, but it appears Rogers will lie, cheat and steal to keep their stranglehold on cable.

Here's how it works:

Rog beats you like an abusive spouse for years on end (but only when you "deserve it"... i.e. going over 60GB a month

You are nearing the end of your contract (their stranglehold), and so you call to advise you may switch to someone else (that's it Rog, I'm leaving you!.. I can't take it anymore!)

Rog says, "Awe come on baby - I've changed... look... I can give you 300gb a month, 35/3.. and all for $39 a month... plus, you wouldn't want to switch... no one will love you the way I love you... do you really think you can do better than me anyway?"

You stick to your guns, swearing you won't fall for the lies and deceit again.. you wonder if Rog means it.. could Rog have really changed? Could things be.. "Different this time"?

You give your notice and walk out to door... good for you! Guess what? Best decision you ever made.. you find a new partner.. and... though you new partner is sometimes late to fix glitches, they don't beat you on fees, overages and insane contracts.

.. Sometimes the grass really IS greener

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
reply to Wondering49
I wonder how they'd respond if someone would tell them "Hey, I'm recording this and will send it to the Competition Bureau".

That can't be legal of them to do since they're the supplier for TPIAs.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to Wondering49
It seems TSI has to refer to Rogers as "our supplier" when it comes to access issues, yet Rogers has no problem smearing Teksavvy by name when they lie to their customers that are leaving them. Hardly seems fair.
--
BHell... A Public Futility. When life throws you lemons, make lemonade.

robbers

@velcom.ca
Rogers does even better than what's mentioned in this thread. When Rogers calls to confirm an setup appointment, I know someone who was offered by Rogers to cancel the Teksavvy installation and install Rogers service instead.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Wondering49
Just like Bell has Fibre to my house, which must be a miracle of technology,since nobody strung any lines, or dug up my front lawn.

kimks3

join:2012-12-01
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to Wondering49
They're not entirely wrong. My 25/2 mbps connection has been running at 0/0 mbps for 6 days now.

akmeikle

join:2013-01-28
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Andre
said by koreyb:

No, it's not true.. its called being anti competitive. 100% false, hoping you're uneducated enough to buy the propaganda they are selling.

You guys should sue Rogers for saying crap like this. Seriously.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
They cop it out to 'That one guy shouldn't have said that, and we fired him'.

Then you have this huge lawsuit, where the burden of proof is on you to prove that Rogers the company is out to do bad things

amonster

join:2013-09-05
reply to Wondering49
Years ago, I had rogers. They typically got pretty slow during peak times, down to roughly HALF of advertised speed. With teksavvy (currently 28/1, order for upgrade to 45/4 somewhere in the queue), it is RARE that I get less than about 26.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Wondering49
said by Wondering49 :

So we called Rogers to cancel our internet service. We tell the lady that we're looking into tek savvy's services (though we're not sure yet seeing as there seems to be a lot of outages...).

Good to see they are still doing this. Did it with us as well. I believe i even created a thread about it back then too. It should be criminal as it's 100% false. Far as i'm concerned, the employees over at Rogers saying this garbage should be fired. The employees sometimes are no better then the company itself.

lillypad_339

join:2008-09-24
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to kimks3
said by kimks3:

They're not entirely wrong. My 25/2 mbps connection has been running at 0/0 mbps for 6 days now.

i was going to post something similar
what are our options after 2 or 3 days of no internet? changing service?

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by lillypad_339:

said by kimks3:

i was going to post something similar
what are our options after 2 or 3 days of no internet? changing service?

They are wrong actually, they (Rogers) are capitalizing on the issues Rogers is having right now and feeding it as a Teksavvy issue to current and prospective customers. It's a dirty trick.

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
reply to lillypad_339
They have Wind Sticks available.

gotak

join:2011-05-17
L6G 0C5
reply to Tx
I don't see any complains about outages on the start.ca forum.... is Rogers being that selective?

lillypad_339

join:2008-09-24
Kitchener, ON
reply to franklyong
Yes.. If things aren't fixed by tomorrow, I'll have to look into getting one of these sticks...Not 100% sure if I'm in the wind zone though.

Edit.... looks like I am.