signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

[Chat] Unusual aircraft sighting?

Now, I've been to numerous aircraft museums (4 I think) and the Houston air shows. I have some idea what a craft is and have some understanding of what each craft's baliwick is.

Last night, in a rural area of Western CT, I saw the lights of an aircraft that I've never seen before in such a rural setting. By the lights, the craft was banking (I was a passenger in a car driving through forested land) a very hard bank. I thought, "gee, is that a jet that's gonna crash?" then it disappeared from sight. A minute later a SILENT craft that looked like maybe an F-18 flew by, slowly, overhead and flew out of view.

I am still like "WTH?" The nearest airport was a rural airport that some small jets can land on.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

[Chat] Re: Unusual aircraft sighting?

Just for the sake of discussion maybe the F-18 was accompanying the other craft? Where I live in cornfields between two military Reserve units and 7 hospitals there are all kinds of maneuvers from lifeflight chopper to jet flyovers.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

What was particularly wondersome was the altitude of both craft, they couldn't have been 1000 feet up, maybe even half of that. The tail lights of the F-18 looking craft was strange also, there were 3 white lights on the tail? I watched it fly directly overhead through the moon roof of the car I was in. What is a military jet and another weird aircraft doing over Rural Western Connecticut? We have no military bases here that I know of. When I lived in TN I lived close to a base and was used to seeing all sorts of craft, but not here.

The other thing was that the stereo was playing in the car, but not so loud that I wouldn't hear a jet like that so close to the ground, and I heard nothing. I looked straight up at it, that's why I think it was a Hornet, but how could it be so quiet and so slow? Something must've been going on there.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94

You expected less than this?

A B-17, B-24 and P-51 were in the neighborhood last week. My house is in the approach to Hyannis and also flying down the beach.

One of these flew over last month about 1:30 am.
VERY LOUD!

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Those are so freaking cool. It took them a long time to work out the bugs on those, they are still dangerous to fly.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

Icarus to signmeuptoo94

Mod

to signmeuptoo94
Theres a thing going on at the airport this weekend involving WWII era aircraft I think. They do rides and such. Yearly event thats been going on for years now.
Also,that airport has grown quite big by comparison to its earlier days and has a longer runway now, Can take some very large jets supposedly.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

OOH! AH! I remember riding my bike there as a kid. My sister took me to that restaurant there a few months ago, yeah, it's bigger now. Now I want to go there and see the craft! FiFi isn't there, is she?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FI ··· craft%29

I've seen and touched her a few times.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
Off Center

1 edit

Icarus

Mod

Not sure whats going to be there and Im not 100% certain I have the correct weekend. I live quite close and theres always an odd assortment of planes,jets,copters going in and out of there all the time. Sikorsky tests there on a regular basis also. Busy place these days.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
I just read an article about a pilot-less stealth fighter being tested. There is usually a pilot with a remote to control it in a plane nearby. It is promising technology. It makes perfect landings, too.
bennor
Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

bennor to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Maybe the plane was flying into Newberg (NY Air National Guard base is or was there) or Westover in MA.

Saw a C-130 flying north a week or so ago in the New Haven area. Haven't see one of those flying around in the area for years. See various helicopters from Sikorsky all the time. People don't believe me when I tell them I really do see black helicopters.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
Off Center

1 edit

Icarus to signmeuptoo94

Mod

to signmeuptoo94
From this mornings paper.......

Only 13 of the more than 12,000 B-17 bombers from the World War II era re­main airworthy.

That’s just one reason why people need to come and see this iconic warbird, said George Daubner, B-17 operations manager for the Experimental Air­craft Association, based in Wisconsin.

“It was so important to our country,” said Daubn­er, captain of the B-17 on this tour spot.

From Friday to Sunday, the nonprofit organization will display and fly its re­stored B-17 bomber called the Aluminum Overcast. People can tour or take a flight of the aircraft, also known as The Flying Fortress.

The visit is part of the nonprofit’s Ex­perience History national tour. The aircraft’s next visit is Caldwell, N.J., on Oct. 11-13.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
The old planes were on Cape last week. The sound of a B-17 is distinct. A squadron/flight of them must have been a thing. B-24s sound different.

POP was in the 451st Bombardment Group (H)

Pix from the Cape Cod Times:
»www.capecodonline.com/ap ··· p#img-14

POP flew to Europe on 42-50930. It was later shot down and the crew were Guests of the Luftwaffe.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Did it look like this?

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA