uniqs
share rss forum feed

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
kudos:1

How Good is BHN's Spam filters?

Click for full size
Love it, they catch their own e-mails as JUNK!

Why? No way to tell though? Wish there was, I could then know why?

Link takes you here and the other is the 'normal' traffic banner:

»mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews ··· breaking
--
Irv Spalten

WinstonFl

join:2003-11-01
Deltona, FL
I am 50/50 on the spam filter. I had to turn it off because it was junking a lot of legitimate emails... It is weird that I receive emails from a lot of the same places and it will mark important emails as spam for no reason... I have it just mark SPAM in the subject but not auto delete anything because of the large amount of legit emails it was dumping on me! With that said it does catch a lot of the actual spam too.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:161
reply to ispalten
The two common reasons for this are...

1) The mail server (meaning the sending server) is misconfigured which causes the delivered mail to be treated like spam. There are several checks that must pass including but not limited to cross check against known spammer databases, RDNS, content and formand a couple of others. Any combination of the above not passing and the email will not be delievered as normal if at all.

2) Instead of using the opt-out feature several recipients reported the email as spam. Spam databases don't know the difference between somebody just being lame and reporting legit mail as spam and real spam requests. The domain then gets temporarily blacklisted because of the reports and anyone who uses the same database then handles the email that domain appropriately.

TWC does not maintain the spam database, this is external to the company. In this case the email may have been malformed, missing proper SMTP information described above or just the victim of somebody elses lameness.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

bighorn1
Premium
join:2004-06-19
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
said by BHNtechXpert:

TWC does not maintain the spam database, this is external to the company. In this case the email may have been malformed, missing proper SMTP information described above or just the victim of somebody elses lameness.

TWC is using 4 blacklists
Cloudmark
Spamhaus
RNBL (senderscore)
and TWC internal