PrymeMover

join:2000-11-22
Olathe, KS
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

1 edit

[Speed] Extreme 250?

I was looking at my bill this month and noticed a bunch of text in the "Important Account information" section. Most of it is detailing new packages/bundles and prices, but there was one item at the end that was especially interesting:
Extreme 250 Internet will replace Extreme 105 Internet in above packages when available.

I currently use Comcast just for Internet, and do have the Extreme 105 package. This area is set to get Google fiber soon, so I suspect it will be among the first to get upgrades.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

2 recommendations

Re: Extreme 250?

Sounds similar to what Comcast had announced a month ago for Provo, Utah, to also compete with Google Fiber there:

Comcast to Light Up 250-Meg Broadband Service in Provo
MSO To Uncork Its Fastest DOCSIS 3.0 Tier Yet As It Preps for Showdown with Google Fiber

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - August 28, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···o/145182

Also the DSLR news item: »Comcast Offering 250 Mbps in Provo for $80

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to PrymeMover
said by PrymeMover:

I was looking at my bill this month and noticed a bunch of text in the "Important Account information" section. Most of it is detailing new packages/bundles and prices, but there was one item at the end that was especially interesting:

Extreme 250 Internet will replace Extreme 105 Internet in above packages when available.

I currently use Comcast just for Internet, and do have the Extreme 105 package. This area is set to get Google fiber soon, so I suspect it will be among the first to get upgrades.

Lucky man. I do believe Comcast will spread 250/50 beyond GFiber areas, but for us mere mortals, It'll probably be another 2 years or more.

What modem do you have? And when you get that upgrade, do come back and let us know. I wanna drool over the 250 goodness.

PrymeMover

join:2000-11-22
Olathe, KS
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
Moto 6141, 8x3 channel configuration. They went to 3 bonded upstream channels (each 5.12MSym/s) a month or two ago, so perhaps preparing for the boosted upstream...

They've been pretty aggressive. One of the new packages is a double play with Limited Basic, DVR, and HD with Extreme 105 for $45/mo less than I'm paying now just for Internet. Had a visit last week from a field sales rep offering a very attractive triple play for only a few bucks more than I'm paying now, and almost jumped until I saw how many premium HD channels I'd be losing compared to my current DISH.

It's perhaps the first time in history that a flyover state has been the tech envy of the country.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by PrymeMover:

Moto 6141, 8x3 channel configuration. They went to 3 bonded upstream channels (each 5.12MSym/s) a month or two ago, so perhaps preparing for the boosted upstream...

They've been pretty aggressive. One of the new packages is a double play with Limited Basic, DVR, and HD with Extreme 105 for $45/mo less than I'm paying now just for Internet. Had a visit last week from a field sales rep offering a very attractive triple play for only a few bucks more than I'm paying now, and almost jumped until I saw how many premium HD channels I'd be losing compared to my current DISH.

It's perhaps the first time in history that a flyover state has been the tech envy of the country.

Yeah, I have one of those too, in a 8/2 config. And Comcast has to be aggressive where GFiber is concerned. They're getting their balls squeezed by a currently superior product. Comcast can't do 1G/1G on a production DOCSIS system yet, or else they'd have cranked those systems to 1 Gig already. So they have to do the fastest they can without reaching total capacity. (I believe 250 out of the 300 the 6141 is rated for, is all they'll do on the 8 channel modems. Anything more then that on Docsis and you need a modem that will do 16/24/32 channels. And while they have 24x8 units out there, I don't think we'll see anything more until Docsis 3.1 comes out in 2 years or so)

And I envy you much. I'm paying 72.95 for Blast and Extreme 105 would be 115 for me. Having that upped to 250/50 would certainly be worth that 115 a month in my eyes.

Tech envy indeed. I was watching Austin, Tx if memory serves, since that's a supposed GFiber deployment too.

Ain't real competition grand?