frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to brn2rn

Re: Multi-Room DVR questions

I believe the difference is that you are recording something in your own house and possess the recording, while with multi-room DVR Cablevision is recording it for you and possesses the recording. I don't know what makes that an important legal distinction, but I like other here recall reading that about how they won their case.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
They wanted to make it harder for Cablevision to implement dvr+ by requiring a one to one recording instead of using a master recording.

The buffer thing really has nothing to do with that
Forgetting about rewinding live tv, having a physical buffer on our end to provide a better service would have been nice.

I see of no other way to fix the lag
The engineer I spoke to a while back said they were working on algorithms to improve fast forwarding and resuming play

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

2 edits
reply to frdrizzt
With the network DVR they would be Buffering the material on their premises, which would actually be them making a copy. While they do buffer it now, one of the things the court opinion discussed thoroughly was the amount of time any particular bit remained in the buffer and the court ruled that the buffer time was so short it was not considered making a copy.

They concluded
said by decision :

Given that the data reside in no buffer for more than 1.2 seconds before being automatically overwritten, and in the absence of compelling arguments to the contrary, we believe that the copyrighted works here are not “embodied” in the buffers for a period of more than transitory duration, and are therefore not “fixed” in the buffers.

So if they were to Buffer it or send it to the hard drive for any length of time before you told them to record,(their argument was you are doing the recording on their premises), they would be making the copy.

dm145 See Profile's point that a box in the home with enough RAM could buffer the material is, at a guess and I am not a lawyer, a legitimate one. The problem is that CV went with the network DVR for several reasons, one being that you could use it on all the boxes you already had and not need a new box, also that it would cost less without specialized equipment and they did not have to have a service call to install the new box. So while his suggestion probably would be OK from a legal perspective since the equipment would be in your home, it likely does not make a lot of sense from a financial perspective at this point. At some point if they were able to get boxes with the memory capacity at a price point they could accept and they were in wide spread usage, they probably would be able to allow you to rewind live TV.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
Does a box with a RAM buffer exist?

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
No idea. I doubt that it would be a problem to order one, since I suspect ti would not be a complicated upgrade but it certainly would add to the cost. Remember there was no box with downloadable security before CV asked for one. Of course since that eliminated the need to have a cablecard module in the box, it was actually a cheaper design.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.