Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel to Gold7181

Premium Member

to Gold7181

Re: Unclear: What speed can I really expect from U-Verse

ALSO, U-Verse uses, "Transmissions use digital H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) encoding, compared to the existing deployments of MPEG-2 codec on cable and the discontinued analog cable TV system."
LONG story short, HD is better on U-Verse!

There's a wealth of info here: »AT&T U-Verse FAQ

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by whamel:

LONG story short, HD is better on U-Verse!

Not so sure about that, unless there has been an update since I left.

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel

Premium Member

I'm going off what is in the white papers. And the current codec is better than Comcast's codec. At least in my opinion. Compare a Comcast HD channel to its counterpart on U-Verse and I can even see the differences on my 7 yr old 42" Panasonic plasma

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

Hmm, that old "up to" qualifier. Has been talk that "up to" meant a vague minimum around 70%. (One for the FAQ if not already there). That they just drop your tier down if you call them on it and they can't correct your line to get your speedtest up to about 12.6M (70% of 18M in this case).

But... maybe that's only on lower speed tiers? On a TV-capable tier, you have a greater profile speed (24M for the 18M HSI tier), with the excess 6M usable only by TV/voice. And believe posts (NormanS See Profile comes to mind, in comparisons with Sonic) have implied profile MUST sustain full 24M: it's a *hard* threshold (else you don't qualify for that tier; no 70% minimum comes into play)?

But folks until only two week ago *always* still fell short by 5-10% of their rated HSI tier (even though the profile MUST by definition sustain the full 24M profile). I gather ATT *was* indeed just being a dick and shorting us on our HSI because they could, justified by their ever present "up to" weasel-room language.

Anyone know if the TOS clarifies or defines what "up to" means? (FAQ needs link to the TOS too if not already there).

my thoughts

Anon

from the ATT Uverse Internet TOS
AT&T High Speed Internet Service a. Speed. The Service is composed of narrow band or broadband access to the Internet provided by AT&T. The Site, provided by AT&T and Yahoo!, is composed of a broad selection of on-line resources including email, communication tools, forums, shopping services, search services and personalized content and branded programming. AT&T offers many broadband service options, each of which has a unique Service Capability Speed range. The current speed ranges may be found at

The speeds identified at

»att.com/speedtiers

network interface device at your home, office or apartment building to the first piece of routing equipment in AT&T’s network. Service Capability Speeds should not be confused with Throughput Speed, which is the speed at which your modem receives and sends Internet access data (“Throughput Speed”). These speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Throughput speed depends upon many factors including customer location, destination and traffic on the Internet, interference with high frequency spectrum on your telephone line, wiring inside your home, office or apartment, the capacity or performance of your computer or modem, the server with which you are communicating, internal network factors, and the networks you and others are using when communicating. In order to provide a consistently high-quality video service, AT&T Uverse High Speed Internet throughput speeds may be temporarily reduced when a customer is using other U-verse services in a manner that requires high bandwidth. This could occur more often with higher speed Internet access products. AT&T may periodically introduce new speed ranges or revise the existing speed ranges. Because these new speed ranges may become available before this Agreement is updated, you should check www.att.com for the most current product information. For purposes of clarity, this Agreement applies to all speed ranges offered by AT&T, even those which are not specifically identified above.