All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich

Anti-SPAM Appliances

There was an old topic: »Anti-SPAM Appliances... Barracuda, IronPort, Etc that I cant reply to anymore but is there any other ones out there is better because I tried:

Mailborder-- it doesnt have what I am looking for
Untangle- doesnt have customer login so they can manage there settings
Mailcleaner- really didnt work.

So is there any other good open source ones out there?
Mike_27
Premium Member
join:2004-05-15
Gardiner, MT

Mike_27

Premium Member

»spamassassin.apache.org/

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to treich

Premium Member

to treich
Ive been running my own in house mail server for years, somewhere around 2006 I brought it online. And for years I fought spam. I use postfix as a MTA, and combined with amavis and spamassassin, the one small program that made all the difference to the point where I might only get 1 spam every 6-7 weeks was a program called postgrey.

»postgrey.schweikert.ch

Its very simple, it greylists senders, for a configured time, on the assumption that a spammer or virus will only try to send a spam message to your MTA only once, then move on, it doesn't retry, but a real MTA has to retry as per RFC.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to treich

to treich
I'll still chime in and add a thumbs up for Barracuda.

For lack of better words, that box is insane. Worth its weight in gold.
Honestly, you forget it exists, and you forget about spam.

I've had ONE case of a false positive lately, and only because the sender was being pretty stupid and pissed it off.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

Ditto on the barracuda

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich

yea see for 2k idk for barracuda....
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin to treich

to treich
I've been using a service called SpamHero. Only incoming filtering right now, but it's really affordable compared to any of the others I've checked out, and it does do a very good job.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to treich

to treich
It's a little pricey yes, but trust me it's worth every cent.

It also depends how much email traffic you're dealing with. If you have a couple dozen email clients, it's not bad. Get up into the hundreds and you'll be constantly chasing spam problems.

If you shop around, the VMware "300" version appliance can be had for around 1400$ if memory serves me correctly.