spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MikeJrod
join:2001-03-14
Milwaukee, WI

MikeJrod

Home network movie streaming?

What is the minimum needed bandwidth to stream bluray from computer to computer in a home network? I have AT&T DSL, and the speed is 12/2. Any movie that is 720 or 1080 will generally have a number of burps and video blurs. I'm guessing that the upstream is not enough to handle the resolution.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Inside the house, you're not using your DSL connection, so it's not relevant that your DSL connection is 12/2.

Are you using wireless or wired connections inside the house, and at what speed?

It seems to me that the most likely cause of your woes is that either or both of the endpoints aren't up to the job. Maybe the 'sending' system is failing to buffer sufficient info, so the burps are where it had to read the disk?

As far as the actual question about bandwidth needed: well, the problem is to view an 'N gigabyte' movie in real time: so take the size of the movie file, divide by the running time of the movie, multiply by 8 to convert bytes to bits, and double it to allow sufficient headroom for protocol overhead.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen to MikeJrod

to MikeJrod
As Dave said, your home network speed is not related to your Internet connection. Network speeds vary depending on what you are using but typically the slowest you will have will be 11 Mbps if you are using a very old wireless router or if your network is wired it likely runs at 100 Mbps. Both are plenty for what you want to do. Modern wireless routers operate at 54 Mbps or more depending on the protocol it uses. I have a cheap Belkin router that connects my computer to the wireless network at 150 Mbps. Note that this is speed INSIDE the home network, not related to Internet speed.