uniqs
share rss forum feed

scottct1

join:2002-01-28
Newington, CT
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

[CT] New Internet Speeds LIVE in Connecticut

Looks like the new speeds are live here in Connecticut!

I just did a Speedtest and here is what I get now.

Yippie!
--
Scott Greczkowski
- SatelliteGuys.US
- MultiChannel News

scottct1

Newington, CT
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
The new speeds are now listed on the Cox Website for Connecticut.

»ww2.cox.com/residential/connecti···referred

relayer35

join:2010-01-01
I have a Zoom DOCSIS 3.0 modem, model 5341. I'm in South Windsor and am maxing out at about 90 Mb/s. Prior to the upgrade the highest was around 65, but it seems like I should be getting better speeds now. I looked at the specs of my modem and it should handle up to 172.

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10
said by relayer35:

I have a Zoom DOCSIS 3.0 modem, model 5341. I'm in South Windsor and am maxing out at about 90 Mb/s. Prior to the upgrade the highest was around 65, but it seems like I should be getting better speeds now. I looked at the specs of my modem and it should handle up to 172.

That modem is only 4 channel downstreams. 172 is a marketing number and includes DOCSIS and all other overhead, and you MIGHT get near that if you were the only customer on a node... directly connected to the CMTS.... with perfect cabling.

With only 4 downstreams, 90-100Mb is as good as you're really going to get in the wild. You'll need to upgrade to an 8 downstream modem if you want to get more.

relayer35

Thanks for the information.

relayer35

1 recommendation

reply to scottct1
Would you recommend a Motorola Surfboard SB6141. It looks like it has 8 channels.

scottct1

Newington, CT

relayer35

Picked up a Motorola SB6141 and it's all installed. My speed only increased slightly, though all 8 channels are active.

Seems odd to be complaining about 100 megabit, but I'm curious why I'm not as fast as others. I called Cox, and they said everything looks good, no packet loss or anything. I thought maybe my router didn't support faster than 100 megabit connections on the WAN port, it's a NetGear WNR3500L Gigabit router w. Tomato firmware, but it's been confirmed that it does support a gigabit connection on the WAN port and the link light on the modem is blue indicating a gigabit connection. Computers are all support Gigabit connections too.

This isn't a huge deal. It's still twice as fast as it was yesterday, but I just spent some money on a new router and I'd like to know why others in the area are faster.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
When does the Gulf Coast get our speed increases?
Congrats!

-Rob

scottct1

Newington, CT
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to relayer35
Just as a test try plugging your computer directly in the modem and doing a speed test. This will help you find out where the issue is.

If its slow there too then there could be a line issue. If its fast there then its a router issue.

relayer35

Yes, I was definitely going to try that...just had to wait for a time that I could take the internet down without the family getting too upset!

So, I was able to connect a PC directly to the cable modem last night and when I tested I got 177, indicating that the problem was within my router (or other equipment, such as switches). I updated the firmware on my WNR3500L (using Tomato), and I got up to 127. So, I know it's not my wiring to the house or anything, the issue has to be with my router. I'm not sure there is anything I can do to increase it any further, short of replacing my router, which I don't really want to do (Hard to find routers this stable with this much functionality, and I like the Tomato firmware). But 127 is still much faster than the 50 or 60 I was getting before the Cox upgrade! Thanks for your help.

Ender3rd

join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
reply to scottct1
Nice! I noticed that my modem rebooted yesterday with a DOCSIS message in the log. Never thought to check the speed! Looks like the speed for my "premier" connection has doubled from around 32/10 and is now delivering +60/+20. Thanks also for the link to the new speed tiers Scott. Very nice!
--
"The dog days are over... The dog days are done..."

scottct1

Newington, CT
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to scottct1
Got to admit, while its cool to be able to do speedtests of 177 Mbps it for the most part is useless. All the web sites I go to still load at the same speed, and all the downloads I do are still taking the same amount of time.

I download iOS 7 last night for my wifes iPhone and it took 8 minutes to download.

So while we have faster speeds most sites out there are locked down so we will never be notice the faster speeds.
--
Scott Greczkowski
- SatelliteGuys.US
- MultiChannel News

Ender3rd

join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
Yes, that will probably be true for many sites when browsing, but it's nice to have all the overhead for gaming. I already find that I am usually the first one on a server to be up and running on a new mission when we all launch in Arma 3. Same thing with COD Black Ops. The pipe between me and the news server provider I subscribe to also fills up very nicely. Sweet!
--
"The dog days are over... The dog days are done..."

relayer35

reply to scottct1
I've been able to download a couple things at really fast speeds (13.1 MB/s, or 104 mbps if you want), but the real benefit to the added speed is for multiple users. My daughter can face time her friends, my wife can stream HD Amazon Prime, and I can VPN into work and everyone has great speeds for what they're doing.

whiteazn

join:2005-02-10
Henderson, NV
reply to scottct1
said by scottct1:

Got to admit, while its cool to be able to do speedtests of 177 Mbps it for the most part is useless. All the web sites I go to still load at the same speed, and all the downloads I do are still taking the same amount of time.

I download iOS 7 last night for my wifes iPhone and it took 8 minutes to download.

So while we have faster speeds most sites out there are locked down so we will never be notice the faster speeds.

you can only download and display a ~100kb so fast. Speeds come in handy when it comes to downloading/streaming

scottct1

Newington, CT
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to scottct1
Click for full size
Just got this in my email a few minutes ago.

BTW SamKnows is sending me a new whitebox as my current SamKnows router is not fast enough to handle the new speeds from COX.

gblythe

join:2001-06-19
Vail, AZ
reply to scottct1
Humming right along in AZ