rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

[E-mail] Transferring email

Ive been a comcast customer for 20 years. The rates are just to high. Problem is that my wife doesnt want to give up her comcast email. Fios will give me triple play service for 79 a month and im presently paying 155 for double play with comcast. I have many relations that have comcast that would be willing to add my wifes email to there account. Has anyone had luck keeping a email address active while canceling the comcast service. Im going to call comcast and see if they will do anything but something tells me we are not coming to a happy ending. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Re: Transferring email

Rody-
Unfortunately, the Comcast address will get cancelled - albeit it'll take a few months. Since you know me and my tendancy to jump providers - I finally moved to Gmail 3 years ago. Never have to worry about it anymore.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Ya just move to gmail, I never use ISP provided e-mail (its just silly)
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
Well if i can get a few months wee hee as i probably will end up back about that time anyway. Will it last a few months? Two months is about all i would need.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I wouldn't count on it.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Any reason to say that. Jeep changes providers like most people change socks. Wife has a lot of shit tied to her email. Gonna make the plunge and strangle jeep if he comes back and says his info is three years old. Gonna call comcast tonight and most likely verizon tomorrow.
rody_44

rody_44

Premium Member

Everything is good, didnt have to cancel as comcast gave me everything i had plus phone and knocked 35 dollars off the bill. Pretty dam painless actually and the modem is included in the 117. They are sending a SIK out. guess my doxsis 2 modem finally gets retired.
dstathop
join:2013-09-04
Madison, AL

dstathop to rody_44

to rody_44
I had to do that when I was on Time Warner and they told me that when you cancel your account your email address will take up to 24 hours to be shut off.

Stop using an ISP's email address and switch to a dedicated email provider. It isn't easy, but it can be done. Back in April I switched from a Time Warner email address I had since 1996 to an outlook.com email address, because I was moving states. It isn't easy, but it isn't as hard as splitting the atom for the first time.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
since your promo will eventually end, and you'll be back in the same position, start talking to your wife about transitioning to a different email, something service independent. she'll have plenty of time to find a new name or the same name with a "vanity" domain and inform everyone to change or CC both addy's
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

I have been trying to get her to do that for years. She is stubborn and insists to much is involved with the amount of people that have it. The promo is for a year so i will worry about it than. Im really surprised they did anything for me since i was still on a promotion. I guess adding the phone did the trick. Either that or the fact i started the call with asking either drop the price or schedule me for disconnection in 2 weeks. They have always been good at putting me on promotions but i really didnt think they would since i was still on a promotion. Glad i was wrong tho as i didnt really want to leave them. But no way was i paying 150 plus for internet and tv.

On a side note i have to say comcast is pretty slick the way they run the promos now. I still had three months left on my two year promo which started at 79 a month and eventually graduated to the new 153 i ended up with. when you consider it would have gone up again in three months to regular rate. That means my double play is regulary 173. Wow when will these prices stop.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

start talking to your wife about transitioning to a different email, something service independent.

Yup. Take this opportunity to remove some of the claws Comcast has in you. ("you" referring to the OP, not tshirt)
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
It was nice find out that the modem is included now at least for the promotion period. problem is going to be i use a doxsis2 modem and i dont think my signal is going to support a doxsis3 modem. They are sending a self install kit out but am i correct in assuming my levels wont work out following is my levels.
Frequency 657000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
QAM QAM256
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level -8 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 22000000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 201
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 45 dBmV
rody_44

rody_44 to camper

Premium Member

to camper
talking to myself is what i feel like when im taklking to my wife about changing her email address. lol

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

....The promo is for a year so i will worry about it than.

At that point, you will find yourself in the same situation you are currently in. And there may not be a Comcast special price available because at that point Comcast knows they have you.

I've been through this type of email transition. Based upon my experience, I suggest the following:

- create a new ISP-independent email address.

- start transitioning NOW. Yes, it will be a bit of an inconvenience in the short term, but use that inconvenience as the rocket fuel to get the transition done sooner than later.

- keep in mind: short term pain, long term gain.
camper

camper to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
quote:
talking to myself is what i feel like when im taklking to my wife about changing her email address. lol
 I understand ...

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Rody-
You should be fine w/ those signals..
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Cool i dont feel like running a new drop. Getting lazy in my old age.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

I have been trying to get her to do that for years. She is stubborn and insists

Make her stop being lazy.

As I said its one reason I never use ISP provided E-mail
though I'll say this AOL will let you keep your e-mail forever (I haven't had AOL since 2002 maybe 2003, but last I tried I can still log into that mailbox)

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44

Re: [E-mail] Transferring email

Chance you just call Comcast and see if they will match Fios? They have been doing that in competitive areas.