share rss forum feed

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Get rid of this screen?

Hi guys,

My cat walked on my remote and now I have this screen everytime I turn it on. How do I get it back to normal?

--
"While you can teach an old dog new tricks, you simply can't teach him to be a cat."

"Are you my Mummy?"

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:14

1 recommendation

Menu -> Settings -> Television -> Promotions -> Disable

That screen will not display when you power on the box once you disable Promotions.

FIOS4cable

join:2009-05-08
NYC
reply to Sweet Witch

Just click on the exit button on your remote or scroll down to turn off this screen .

PaulyIzGod

join:2008-02-18
Tampa, FL
reply to Sweet Witch

Bottom right of the screen it tells you how to remove it.

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
reply to Sweet Witch

Your cat hit a rather elaborate combination of buttons on its stroll.

skohly

join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

said by blue_trooper:

Your cat hit a rather elaborate combination of buttons on its stroll.

I thought the same thing. Great Cat!

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

My cat is not permitted to walk on the remote. And so far he has been very good about that...

Sweet Witch
Premium,MVM
Gallifrey
reply to blue_trooper

He quite loved the remote when he first got here! Walked on it, slept on it, tried to 'kill' it, etc. He's grown up now.
--
"While you can teach an old dog new tricks, you simply can't teach him to be a cat."

"Are you my Mummy?"

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to Sweet Witch

Back in the early 1990's I had a screensaver that was an animated aquarium - where the cat tried to fish. It required many "delete cat from keyboard" clicks before she discovered she could not catch any. After that she sleep in the chair, slept on the desk, played with the mouse(s), kneaded the bright red mouse pad, but never again walked on the keyboard. Instead, she sat in my lap and swatted the spacer bar to help me edit. It was a daily ritual. At $4 for a new keyboard it was cheap enough. One day she stopped "helping" me, and a month later she was gone. Cancer. She was 17. Her buddy the dog died a year earlier; he was 16.

Good luck with your cat-pal.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Sweet Witch
Premium,MVM
Gallifrey
reply to nycdave

said by nycdave:

That screen will not display when you power on the box once you disable Promotions.
That worked , thanks
--

"Are you my Mummy?"

shadowcaster1

join:2008-04-21
Huntington Station, NY
reply to linicx

Click for full size
said by linicx:

Back in the early 1990's I had a screensaver that was an animated aquarium - where the cat tried to fish. It required many "delete cat from keyboard" clicks before she discovered she could not catch any.

You mean like this .

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

Yes! Very similar. Mine was made by Russians and the cat was on the keyboard. My desk was never as neat as yours.

Cats are great entertainers. Thanks for the memory.
--

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by linicx:

Mine was made by Russians

Slightly OT, but remember the original TETRIS, made by Russians? My cat would chase the blocks down the screen!
--
"Obscurity and a competence—that is the life that is best worth living." –Mark Twain

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to shadowcaster1

said by shadowcaster1:

You mean like this .

I had that same Compaq monitor back in the days and remember bragging about its high DPI and how gorgeous it was...

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
reply to miataman

I've seen pictures of TETRIS, but I never played it. Cats are easily entertained. My old cat likes the 3 C's cars, cartoons, cooking, and watching the trains go by the house.
--

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
reply to nycdave

said by nycdave:

Heh yea, at least until the next update rolls out that disables it again just to annoy the hell out of all of us.

shadowcaster1

join:2008-04-21
Huntington Station, NY
reply to linicx

said by linicx:

Cats are great entertainers. Thanks for the memory.

You're welcome BTW, that photo was from 2005.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to Sweet Witch

On a sidenote, it seems you need to UN-zoom your TV as well. Youre cutting off all sides of the screen.

GeekGirl1
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA
kudos:2
reply to nycdave

said by nycdave:

Thanks! I thought this was a permanent upgrade. I was getting annoyed at Verizon every time I turned on the box. It's gone.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to shadowcaster1

Cool. I picked up the floppy software in 1996-97 for $10 at ALCO. The internet was young with Win95a and no idea what layers or rendering was. I was fascinated by the color, animation, and realistic detail. So was the cat.
--