uniqs

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter to Maxo

to Maxo

Re: Lubuntu 13.04 Flash Player

Chrome presents a message, "Could not load flash plugin." Flash must be conflicting with a driver some how.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by Rexter:

Chrome presents a message, "Could not load flash plugin." Flash must be conflicting with a driver some how.

And now you know why everyone hates flash.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
Interesting... Flash works in Mint here, even the live cd. If you see the screen blank for a few seconds, and assumed it crashed wait a minute.

fedorauser
@frontiernet.net

fedorauser to Maxo

Anon

to Maxo
A brand new install of Fedora was easy to make flash working too. I downloaded the rpm from the adobe website, and that was it.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter to BlitzenZeus

to BlitzenZeus
Very strange, yes. Mint 13 xfce works as a life CD. Maybe that's where I need to focus my efforts. Perhaps you guys can help me get it installed. During the install process, the install window disapears right about the end, and the mouse cursor turned into the spiny wheel forever. I've left if for more that 5 hours, and it was still spinning. What might be the problem?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Mint 13? Mint 15 has been out, but it sounds like it found something it didn't like, otherwise the installer was corrupted.
»www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

15 is only supported for 9 months, and can't be upgraded. 13 is LTS. There appears to be a bug in the installer, a lot of people have seen this freezing. the solution involves killing a certian process whenever it hangs. It happened 3 times for me. I was successfull at getting it installed. Flash Player worked perfectly until I did the system updates. Now no flash again. I'm going to try to completely remove foash, and reinstall it. On the adobe site it looks l like you should be able to download an ubuntu version, but the browser askes me to choose an externl application to handel the download. Would I use gdebi for this, and how do I find it?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I'll try to see if I can get flash working from a fresh install on 13, but no promises on a timeline as I might have to deal with other issues first.

The apt from the website didn't work for me either as it assumes you use a direct ubuntu distro, I had to install it via apt.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
sudo dpkg -i flash.deb

Of course, replace flash.deb with whatever the file is named.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

2 edits

BlitzenZeus to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
Click for full size
What I did.... after having to deal with my screen flickering constantly which was excessively annoying.

synaptic
Installed adobe-flashplugin
removed mint-flashplayer-11
I also removed the virtualbox-guest-utils it's not a vm install

Edit: I also have to say with the changes I can't consider it a LTS, they changed how the setting applets are laid out in a central location, and it feels like they don't care about maintaining it, which is kind of sad. I had to dig to find the mouse settings the all applications, and if you expand that back to all settings you see a second system settings panel. It was the same for the display properties, no longer available from the panel other settings.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

Ok so I reinstalled the system again. Flash is working but there are 439MB of updates available. Any idea how to sort out what update is going to kill flash?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I didn't have that problem on my Mint 15 install, and this 13 is up to date also so I can only guess you won't have problems in the immediate future, but we all know how that goes sometimes.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

It installed with Flash 11.0. I told the updater to ignore the 11.2 that it wanted to install. I'm going to do the othe 600..some odd number of updates without that one. Firefox is also updating from version 12, but I don't think it's a Firefox issue sinse flash doesn't work in chrome either.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

If you're going to do your own thing fine, but after you install adobe flash there's no reason to leave behind any of the outdated mint packaged flash, and that is the update you're ignoring. I removed it.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

I'm not understanding. Are you saying ther is a mint-flash, and an Adobe-flash that are different?
Rexter

Rexter to BlitzenZeus

to BlitzenZeus
New problem. You can't update Firefox, and not update flash, becasue Firefox blocks the older version of flash player.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Other than downloading a ton of updates, and fixing my video issue first it took no time for me to install the latest adobe flash without any problems. You made this more complicated than it had to be. I'm also far from a linux guru.

Yes they are different, and if you paid attention to the version numbers you would have seen the mint packages were all outdated. For a while mint was repackaging flash for their own repositories, but they had to stop so now you have to use adobe's. After adobe's is installed the mint-flashplayer-11 remains behind, all you had to do was remove it with apt, or synaptic.

You didn't install the latest version of adobe's flash then.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

said by BlitzenZeus:

You made this more complicated than it had to be.

Lol, No look over the forum. Other than the fact that I've tried everything possible under just about every freak'n situation, there's nothing complicated about what I've done:

Let me refresh where I started:
I installed Lubuntu 13.04, I needed flash player so I did:

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras

I went through the install process, approved the EULA, and this is where this story should have ended. Flash player should have worked, and I never would have started this thread. Simple right? This is what I've done on every ubuntu type machine I've ever installed, and it always worked. Well, on this machine, that didn't work, so I tried something else, something else, something else, and yet something else. What I have discovered through all this trial & error, is Flash Player 11.2 just will not work on this machine. Period. Linux Mint 13 has flash player 11.0 already installed, and though I had some other issues with the installer flash player 11.0 worked perfectly. The problem is, as soon as you update to 11.2, BAM! It no longer works. I though, fine, I just won't update Flash Player. I'll stick with 11.0, but that doesn't work either, becaseu when Firefox updates from the version 12 that is installed with LM13, it blocks the old version of flash player, and demands that you upgrage to the newer version that simply won't work on this machine, 11.2.

Lol, that's where we are... got it... nothing complicated about it.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

It's not just 11.2, you need to pay attention to the minor version numbers, and if these other packages are also giving you the latest updates as they can fall out of date. If their restricted extras are like mints they repacked flash, but as I said Mint had to stop doing that. I knew this ahead of time, and simply killed their redistribution of flash while installing the one from adobe, no problems.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

So can you think of anything else I should try? What do you suppose the oldest version of flash that the new versions of Firefox won't block. I can't use chrome, becaseu it has the latest build of Flash built in.

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary to fedorauser

Premium Member

to fedorauser
said by fedorauser :

A brand new install of Fedora was easy to make flash working too. I downloaded the rpm from the adobe website, and that was it.

It you install the YUM repo file instead of the .rpm, Flash will update automatically any time you do a yum update.

»fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

This is still an outdated version of Flash though isn't it? Aren't there no more update for flash on Linux?

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX

rexbinary

Premium Member

It stays at 11.2.x, but is still receives security updates regularly.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
No, 11.2 for linux continues to be updated for security updates, and the version included with Chrome is the same major version as the other operating systems. 11.2 was updated just last month, but it didn't get an update this month. The major version of flash in Chrome was updated this month.

I have two linux operating systems running, and both have working flash with the latest version. Both have no problem running flash content on the latest browsers.