PToN
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

1 edit

HDDs for HP EVA

Click for full size
Ok,

We are thinking about expanding our storage by adding a new tray with 8 FC drives and 4 FATA drives. We have 2 disk groups: 1 with all 450GB 15K FC drives and the other one with all 1TB FATA drives. We kinda do 1st and 2nd tier. Anyways.

I got my quote back and my rep is charging me:
$2,079 per each 450GB 15K FC drive and
$1,875 per each 1TB FATA drive.

I am sure this is way too much, as a quick google for M6412A yielded cheaper prices. Now my question is, are these cheaper drives any different than the ones she wants to sell me? They all claim to be new HDDs, but given the nature of these systems, i somewhat feel a bit uneasy buying the drives from one of these sites..

Any comments?

Any sites that you have bought these kind of drives from?

Thanks.

EDIT:
Ok, seems like when looking at the big picture i am "Getting the 8x450gb for free"...

It just seems like a lot FOR just 1 tray... I think that with another $10k i can get an entry level Compellent...

Thanks.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

If you have the actual disk drive part number, order from anyone you would like. This is one of the biggest money makers for resellers as most don't have a clue about hardware

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Ask for HP remarketed drives ... That'll save a bunch of $$

(And yes, 15k drives are
Expen$ive.)

FATA drives are EVA-specific.

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
reply to PToN
Looks like about a 48% discount off list -
That's pretty good for upgrade parts ...

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PToN
I looked up the part number, you can buy them starting at 88 bucks for refurbs

»www.supplysale.com/Item.aspx?sku···odO0YAYA

For $108, they have 300 in stock, buy 12 for half the price of a single new drive and have 4 spares

Also they look like there generic ATA drives, so if for no other reason you can use the trays an install the drives of your choice?

Here is a eBay selling the drives brand new for those trays for 220

»www.ebay.com/itm/HP-AG803B-45441···36078583

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40
reply to PToN
7.25% sales tax in Houston??

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to PToN
how does the warranty work if you don't buy it from them?

we buy from an IBM partner and i can't imagine IBM would honor the warranty if we bought the drives off of ebay.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Who cares about a warranty when your only paying 5% of new pricing? These are 450GB drives that aren't even manufactured anymore and haven't been for a couple of years. Hard drive failures will happen new or old, if you have a bucket of spares and are running raid its a big saving for the company. Internally, these are just plain Jane SATA drives, to pay 2K for a 6 year old drive is nuts, buy from newegg a 4TB enterprise drive for $300 and reuse the shell is what I would do

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
gotcha. i guess i missed that part.

i wouldn't have to worry about that, we would never put anything that old in a production environment.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to tomdlgns
said by tomdlgns:

how does the warranty work if you don't buy it from them?

we buy from an IBM partner and i can't imagine IBM would honor the warranty if we bought the drives off of ebay.

In my experience HP warranties the server not the drive, so as long as its an HP drive then when you give the server's serial number HP sends you the new drive if the chassis its in is under warranty.

In theory I could use the serial number off our P2000 to get an old 72gb 10k single port drive replaced (that be a stretch but I'm fairly sure it'd work) even though all of the drives in our P2000 are at least 300GB 10K dual port, and most are 900GB 10K dual port. (soon to be all 900GB)

but we have some 72GB SP 10k and 15k drives around

Ya I agree its a little dishonest and I haven't done that (furthest I've done is use a DL380G6 to get some 146GB drive replaced, same model as was in the G6 but the drive was actually being used in a G5.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to removed
said by removed:

Thought it was 8.125%
--
semper idem

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to DarkLogix
i have only worked with IBM. if i call in for a bad drive, i give the serial number of the unit, that is how they check the warranty status (obviously). once i get the replacement drive i need to send the defective one back to them. at that point they would realize that it was not an IBM drive and charge us for the new drive and possibly get in contact with us to tell us that the warranty is void because of us not using their drives.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Oh ya it'd have to still be an HP drive

with HP I call them up give them the serial of the server and part number of the drive and get a replacement the next day then send them the bad drive and alls good

normally we'll have a cold spare on a shelf and the replacement will become the new cold spare.
--
semper idem

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Who cares about a warranty when your only paying 5% of new pricing? These are 450GB drives that aren't even manufactured anymore and haven't been for a couple of years. Hard drive failures will happen new or old, if you have a bucket of spares and are running raid its a big saving for the company. Internally, these are just plain Jane SATA drives, to pay 2K for a 6 year old drive is nuts, buy from newegg a 4TB enterprise drive for $300 and reuse the shell is what I would do

How well do you know the EVA? There are very specific firmware requirements for the drives - can't just slap some 4TB disks in there. The FATA drives especially are very different. And finicky.

The EVA is a very different beast than most arrays. It works well but you HAVE to play by the rules or Very Bad Things happen.

Been there, done that, got the scars.

PToN
Premium
Houston, TX
This is true. I would not even think about putting non HP drives in a production EVA.

And EVA is not one of those JBD array, you have guidelines to follow when adding drives to a disk groups. In fact, i would kill one of those drive in no time if i add a 1TB drive to the disk group with 450GB...

This is mainly why we have 2 Disk groups. HP does not recommend using drives with too much difference in capacity within the same group. 450GB is the highest recommended drive to place in this group, which is mostly populated with 400GB HDDs.

Yes, sadly, this HDDs have been discontinued. HP has been sending me 450GB HDDs instead of 400's because of it.

I guess we might have to eat it as getting a new SAN is very unrealistic at this time.

Thanks.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
OK, so why not buy the used / refurbs for 1/20th the cost? They are the exact same drive you looking to order?

PToN
Premium
Houston, TX
Yeah, i am not opposed to that, just the off brand idea.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by removed:

Thought it was 8.125%

Same here.

PToN
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to PToN
In case anyone was wondering. Drives were 10K and not 15K, this brought down the total price to around $10k.

Thanks.

PS: yeah, i am not sure about the tax thing either...