join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to Jemkim0

MVM

to Jemkim0

Re: [Roofing] Downspout drain pipe question

Do you mean corrugated or perforated pipe ?

Basically what I'm trying to understand is whether you want all of the water that is coming down from the gutter to exit at the 10" vertical spot or is the intend for much/most of the water to drain into the soil along the 45ft horizontal run (the 10" riser only to provide an escape for excess water).

The main concern I would have is possible clogging of the horizontal run from anything entering the gutter (leaves, fine gravel from roof shingles). Depending on the climate freezing of water remaining in the horizontal run might also be an issue.

Jemkim0
@comcast.net

Jemkim0

Anon

said by leibold:

Do you mean corrugated or perforated pipe ?

Basically what I'm trying to understand is whether you want all of the water that is coming down from the gutter to exit at the 10" vertical spot or is the intend for much/most of the water to drain into the soil along the 45ft horizontal run (the 10" riser only to provide an escape for excess water).

I mean corrugated, non-perforated pipe. I want the water to go down the downspout and exit at the end of the corrugated pipe run. Freezing weather is not an issue; the pipe will be run in the flower bed and barely underground so if it gets clogged after a few years I can easily disconnect it from the house, pull it out of the inch or so it will be underground, flush it out, or replace it if necessary. it will be going slightly uphill for the 45' but only about 10". Ultimately I think this is a question about water pressure and how the down+pipe will perform on heavy flow days (and will it drain properly)?

Thanks.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken

MVM

said by Jemkim0 :

it will be going slightly uphill for the 45' but only about 10".

Wait so the end of the pipe is going to be higher than the start of the pipe? I thought you meant originally that the pipe would go downhill and at the end turn uphill 10" but still be lower than the start.

The end of the pipe must be lower than the start. Somewhere in the middle you can have an uphill run, but it must always stay below the level of the start.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Jemkim0

MVM

to Jemkim0
said by Jemkim0 :

it will be underground, flush it out, or replace it if necessary. it will be going slightly uphill for the 45' but only about 10"

Dig out that 10" span so that it's NOT higher.

Jemkim0
@comcast.net

Jemkim0 to Ken

Anon

to Ken
Click for full size
Click for full size
down
Click for full size
down
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Ken:

Wait so the end of the pipe is going to be higher than the start of the pipe? I thought you meant originally that the pipe would go downhill and at the end turn uphill 10" but still be lower than the start.

Sorry for the confusion. The downspout goes down ~12'. Then it connects to the pipe that flows slightly uphill about 45'. The vertical difference between where the down connects to the pipe and where the pipe exits is ~10-12".

Maybe this will help (not drawn to scale).
Jemkim0

Jemkim0

Anon

Click for full size
Trying again with the pic