spc
Search similar:

uniqs

just lou
join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY
Arcadyan FiOS-G3100

just lou

[Networking] "The FiOS Advanced WiFi Router" ?

I don't know if it's been discussed yet, but I just received an email from Verizon suggesting I "upgrade" my router to their Advanced Router. Anyone else receive this and /or upgrade?

If you connect wirelessly to the Internet, we recommend our top-grade 802.11n FiOS™ Advanced Wi-Fi Router.

When you get our new router, you’ll enjoy:

• Greater Wi-Fi reach in and around your home
• Higher Wi-Fi speed—up to 3X faster than our old routers
• Optimal signal strength—our best choice when multiple users are surfing, streaming and gaming

The FiOS Advanced Wi-Fi Router is a great value at just $99.99 (plus taxes & $5.99 shipping) — similar routers can cost up to $195! Plus, it’s FiOS-approved and designed to work seamlessly with the FiOSĀ® Network, so it’s easy to set up and no technician visit is needed.

Order Online or tune to FiOSĀ® TV channel 692 to order. Or, call 1.888.297.1988.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

[Networking] Re: "The FiOS Advanced WiFi Router" ?

Is 99.99 yours to keep?

I haven't received the offer, yet.

just lou
Staten Island, NY

just lou

said by SparkChaser:

Is 99.99 yours to keep?

I haven't received the offer, yet.

I would hope so.

TedD
@verizon.net

TedD to just lou

Anon

to just lou

If this is a one time charge, it seems reasonable. We just purchased a laptop that supports 802.11n wifi. I think as we replace our wireless devices, we will see that they too support the faster 802.11n standard. About two years ago, we had to replace our 802.11g ActionTec router. It was easy. We connected it and all we had to do was reprogram all our wireless devices with the new network name and password. I also find Verizon support in my area very good. I live in Poughkeepsie in the Mid-Hudson Valley. Verizon lists us as in the "downstate New York" area. I haven't received the offer, but I hope I do.

just lou
Staten Island, NY
Arcadyan FiOS-G3100

just lou

They have a website where you can order it. I'm thinking it isn't worth it for me since I'm only at 35/35, and my Rev. F works quite well.
»www.verizon.com/home/MLP ··· ter.html

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to just lou

MVM,

to just lou
Isn't this just the same router that has been available for over a year, but now it costs $20 more?
»FiOS GigE Wireless "N" Router $79.99
»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· Products

They give these out for "free" to new customers, too (depending on availability).

As for their claim that it's an "advanced" router.. it really isn't that advanced on the WiFi side of things. "$195" routers do not have 2x2 802.11n. My $50 router has 3x3 802.11n.
»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· hure.pdf

just lou
Staten Island, NY
Arcadyan FiOS-G3100

just lou

said by Thinkdiff:

Isn't this just the same router that has been available for over a year, but now it costs $20 more?
»FiOS GigE Wireless "N" Router $79.99
»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· Products

They give these out for "free" to new customers, too (depending on availability).

As for their claim that it's an "advanced" router.. it really isn't that advanced on the WiFi side of things. "$195" routers do not have 2x2 802.11n. My $50 router has 3x3 802.11n.
»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· hure.pdf

Thanks for the info. I guess this "advanced WiFi router" isn't so advanced.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to TedD

MVM,

to TedD
said by TedD :

If this is a one time charge, it seems reasonable.

The router Verizon gives you when you start service is actually a loaner - it's their property. Somehow they've convinced customers to pay for upgrades to equipment that belongs to Verizon, not the customer. What I'd consider reasonable is Verizon upgrading their equipment to fit the services being provided. I guess their thinking is they promised you a WiFi router with service, not a fully capable WiFi router.

I would hope you could keep the router if you lay out $99 for it, but with Verizon's billing system, I wouldn't be surprised if that turned into a fight when you cancel - make sure you keep the receipt/paperwork if you buy one.

just lou
Staten Island, NY
Arcadyan FiOS-G3100

just lou

Verizon is going all out with offers to me tonight. Just now I received an email offering me the premium movie channels for 50% off for 1 year. The problem is that I already have the Ultimate Package which includes them for no extra charge in my area.

TedD
@verizon.net

TedD to just lou

Anon

to just lou
Thanks for the link. I will consider it. My speed is 50/25 connected in to the router, but I often get greater speeds. My wireless speeds are about 24/22. I have a Ref. F Verizon ActionTec router, too. But, as I mentioned one of our newest laptops can use 802.11n to connect wirelessly. My other laptop and wireless devices connect at 802.11g, but it is most important to connect computers at the fastest wireless speed possible.
TedD

TedD to Thinkdiff

Anon

to Thinkdiff
That is good advice. Verizon does seem to own the router. When my old one failed, they had me mail it back and replace it with the one they sent me. It seems we must be renting the router each month because I do not remember paying a one time charge for it. If I buy the new router, i truly believe that they will take back the one I am renting. Before I order a 802.11n router, I must find out if I pay $99.99 (plus taxes & $5.99 shipping), if they will credit me each month. I tend to doubt it. I suspect that my monthly charges will remain the same as if I was still renting a router. I think the charge will be considered a one time upgrade fee. I have to admit that their support in my area (downstate New York) is very good. Maybe, that is a large part of our monthly charge.

Youkalikat
@verizon.net

Youkalikat to Thinkdiff

Anon

to Thinkdiff
Don't buy this router for $99. Why? Because when you buy it, you own it and the thing will likely be out of date and have to be replaced within a few years. Also it won't make any difference now unless you were an early adopter of FIOS (which I am). Also it's very sneaky of Verizon, to get us to buy equipment which will break or get out of date rather than rent it.
I called FIOS tech support and had a long talk. Since my router is 6 or 7 years old, they are sending me a free new, more powerful modem which will have the bigger range, etc. I'm running Windows 7 and learned that if I owned a Windows 8 computer, my current modem would have had to be changed already. The Tech guy said buying this new FIOS router for $99 wouldn't make any more difference in benefits.

If you need more info, call Tech support at FIOS.
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to just lou

to just lou
This is a ripoff.

I use the Trendnet Wireless Access Point and I get great coverage and I paid $35 for it when it was on sale on Newegg awhile back.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Youkalikat

MVM,

to Youkalikat
said by Youkalikat :

I'm running Windows 7 and learned that if I owned a Windows 8 computer, my current modem would have had to be changed already.

Just to clarify the terminology, the Verizon equipment we're talking about is a router, not a modem. None of the FiOS equipment is referred to as a "modem". Just the ONT and the router.

And there's nothing about Windows 8 that would require you to replace your router.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to just lou

to just lou

This GigE rev. I Wireless N router was about $80 bucks in the store for many months now, if not a year. I can not believe they would up its price to $100, and make their customers believe that this is a good deal. Even with a 3 payment plan.

They should've just advertised what it was going for, and not upped its price. Same "old" technology, but this time, more money.

just lou
Staten Island, NY

just lou

Wow. Pretty low of Verizon pulling something like this.

Youkalikat
@onavo.com

Youkalikat to Thinkdiff

Anon

to Thinkdiff

Sorry. I must have a hybrid modem/router from Verizon to support my VOIP home phone, internet access, and wireless. It's been many years since I had a separate modem and router.
banshee
join:2013-06-17
Albany, NY

banshee to TedD

to TedD
This is the router I got when I got FIOS 4 months ago, I'm on the 50/25, my wireless speed is 48/38.

TedD
@verizon.net

TedD

Anon

Is that plugged into the ethernet port or going wireless? That is really fast if it is just over wireless.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Youkalikat

MVM

to Youkalikat
said by Youkalikat :

I must have a hybrid modem/router from Verizon

VZ at one time used the Westell 9100VM which is a combined VDSL2 modem and router for MDU installations. If you live in an MDU and have the Westell 9100VM, then yes, you have a combined modem and router.

If you have an Actiontec router or the Westell 9100EM you have a MOCA capable router, not a modem/router combination. Just because it connects to the coax dors NOT make it a modem. People forget that the original 10BASE5 ethernet networks were RG8 coax.
banshee
join:2013-06-17
Albany, NY

banshee to TedD

to TedD
That's wireless on my Macbook Pro.

TedD
@verizon.net

TedD

Anon

Re: "The FiOS Advanced WiFi Router" ?

Our mid-2013 MacBook Air supports 802.11n wifi. I just looked up wifi information on my older mid-2009 MacBook Pro and it supports 802.11n wifi, too. It's beginning to look like it would make sense to upgrade my Verizon ActionTec Rev. 5 (which supports up to 802.11g wifi) with the newer offered Verizon router.

Tonice2007
Premium Member
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

Tonice2007

Premium Member

said by TedD :

Our mid-2013 MacBook Air supports 802.11n wifi. I just looked up wifi information on my older mid-2009 MacBook Pro and it supports 802.11n wifi, too. It's beginning to look like it would make sense to upgrade my Verizon ActionTec Rev. 5 (which supports up to 802.11g wifi) with the newer offered Verizon router.

First off I don't have FiOS, been trying to get it since it came out in 05 but that is a different story; but why are you going to upgrade to 802.11n, when your internet speed only is so fast? Meaning, if you have the 15Mbps or 50Mbps plans it doesn't really make sense to upgrade to 802.11n which does support those speeds, but in theory 802.11n could support 600Mbps with duplexing, which is nice but you won't be able to use that much bandwidth, since your limit is your outgoing connection which would be your internet connection.

But on the other hand, if you like some of the individuals on this forum that are IT people, you might find use for this for your internal network, but most IT people, that I know including myself, prefer Wired over wireless, it's "easier" to manage...

Just my two cents...

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to just lou

Premium Member

to just lou

Re: [Networking] "The FiOS Advanced WiFi Router" ?

Verizon has always had crappy routers. So why pay for one that is still crappy when you can get a better one elsewhere for the same price or less.

TedD
@verizon.net

TedD to Tonice2007

Anon

to Tonice2007

Re: "The FiOS Advanced WiFi Router" ?

I have been talking this over with my wife. We do have FIOS (50/25) and like it. Our Verizon ActionTec Rev. F router has been working fine. I only plug into the ethernet ports on the router when I have a large file transfer to do. Wireless is 24/22 and very convenient for us and that is the way we use the Internet the vast majority of the time. We also have our printer and backup drive wirelessly connected. Maybe, 24/22 is fast enough. They say, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!" It is nice to know that Verizon is moving ahead with 802.11n compatible routers.
arc2v
join:2013-09-30
USA

arc2v

I had a Rev C that was very slow. They were supposed to send me a Rev F or other 2nd gen router that had the better NAT, which was acceptable.

When the box got to my house it was a GigE, Rev I. Pleasant surprise. Verizon tried to get me to buy it the first round of troubleshooting, but I declined. Tech Support put in the request for a free replacement router (which wasn't supposed to be the nice new one) and I got lucky, I guess.

Much faster than my Rev. C, but that was a low bar to clear. Wireless was much better than the older rev, but seems on par with the D-Link I was using (also an N).

Worth the upgrade: probably no. Nice to get as a free surprise: yes.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood to Tonice2007

Premium Member

to Tonice2007
Your theory may be correct but all that is going on here is VZ trying to drum up business and VZ is finally catching up to the existing standard. So what's next, N will become the old standard when 802.11ac routers go mainstream. I agree that wired is superior to wireless and is also more secure but keep on mind some locations are best served with Wireless since doing a run to every location in a home is not achievable.

Tonice2007
Premium Member
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

Tonice2007

Premium Member

said by Pureblood:

Your theory may be correct but all that is going on here is VZ trying to drum up business and VZ is finally catching up to the existing standard. So what's next, N will become the old standard when 802.11ac routers go mainstream. I agree that wired is superior to wireless and is also more secure but keep on mind some locations are best served with Wireless since doing a run to every location in a home is not achievable.

What your saying is very correct, about it's not always feasible wiring everywhere you need internet access, but I don't think n is going to be retired anytime soon, like g standard is still being used (hey where I work, they're using b standard and that came out in the late 90s) so I don't know...
Expand your moderator at work
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to just lou

Premium Member

to just lou

Re: [Networking] "The FiOS Advanced WiFi Router" ?

For what it's worth, I saw the ad listed on my on screen guide. Just like they have the VOD 'channels', they have channels that have special offers (upgrade to Quantum, e.g.). I saw one of those channels for a special offer to upgrade your router. So if you want to go through with it, I'm guessing you can order from your TV too.