All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Youkalikat
@verizon.net

Youkalikat to Thinkdiff

Anon

to Thinkdiff

[Networking] Re: "The FiOS Advanced WiFi Router" ?

Don't buy this router for $99. Why? Because when you buy it, you own it and the thing will likely be out of date and have to be replaced within a few years. Also it won't make any difference now unless you were an early adopter of FIOS (which I am). Also it's very sneaky of Verizon, to get us to buy equipment which will break or get out of date rather than rent it.
I called FIOS tech support and had a long talk. Since my router is 6 or 7 years old, they are sending me a free new, more powerful modem which will have the bigger range, etc. I'm running Windows 7 and learned that if I owned a Windows 8 computer, my current modem would have had to be changed already. The Tech guy said buying this new FIOS router for $99 wouldn't make any more difference in benefits.

If you need more info, call Tech support at FIOS.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Youkalikat :

I'm running Windows 7 and learned that if I owned a Windows 8 computer, my current modem would have had to be changed already.

Just to clarify the terminology, the Verizon equipment we're talking about is a router, not a modem. None of the FiOS equipment is referred to as a "modem". Just the ONT and the router.

And there's nothing about Windows 8 that would require you to replace your router.

Youkalikat
@onavo.com

Youkalikat

Anon

Sorry. I must have a hybrid modem/router from Verizon to support my VOIP home phone, internet access, and wireless. It's been many years since I had a separate modem and router.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Youkalikat :

I must have a hybrid modem/router from Verizon

VZ at one time used the Westell 9100VM which is a combined VDSL2 modem and router for MDU installations. If you live in an MDU and have the Westell 9100VM, then yes, you have a combined modem and router.

If you have an Actiontec router or the Westell 9100EM you have a MOCA capable router, not a modem/router combination. Just because it connects to the coax dors NOT make it a modem. People forget that the original 10BASE5 ethernet networks were RG8 coax.