spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Radioboywv
join:2013-10-03
Moatsville, WV

Radioboywv

Frontier 7550 Bridging

I have tried every instruction guide I can find to put my 7550 modem into bridge mode, but it NEVER works. I wind up with no Internet connection. I've done the Vc to bridge----turned off DHCP---- tried different tricks I've seen listed and I wind up with nothing. The Internet light is ON after putting unit into bridge mode. It has to be something simple I'm over-looking. I figure I've gone through this and done a master-reset of the modem about 20 times now. HELP ME!

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

I believe you are not choosing the active connection when placing the unit in bridge mode. Once in bridge mode the internet light will be out. Make sure that the router you are trying to bridge the connection to can handle a PPPoE connection. Your log in credentials will go into the router behind the 7550. The procedure is below is for the 7500 but the 7550 is very similar and the information in the document applies.

www22.verizon.com/Support/Reside···9175.htm

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to Radioboywv

MVM

to Radioboywv
Note, don't ignore the warning that the 7550 needs to be rebooted for the settings to apply. Make sure you are changing the VC (normally the first VC connection) with the VPI/VCI Settings of 0/35. It should be set to PPPoE, PPPoA or Routed Bridge when you find it.

Bridge > Bridge is the mode you want for a pure bridge. If you're using PPPoA and need to bridge that (Frontier should have just about removed PPPoA from their service area), it will need to wind up as a PPPoE connection as the end result on your own router.

Anyways, here's Hank's link, which the forum appeared to eat:
»www.verizon.com/Support/ ··· 3709.htm

Here's my own guide for a Westell 6100. The process should be very similar on a 7550. »seansite.dyndns.org/fron ··· dge.html

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

Hi Smith6612 - I think the forum didn't validate the link because it appears that the link is no longer active at that address.

I believe there may be some slight changes in the various 7550 firmware version. On both of mine I do not have to reboot once I change to any mode and then click the apply button. But having learned from experience it is always best to reboot the modem when changes are made because you often do not know if the configuration updated as it should and may cause residual problems down the road.
Radioboywv
Moatsville, WV

Radioboywv to Smith6612

to Smith6612
I'm thinking now it might be a problem with the router I'm going to......maybe I don't have it set right. I've tried everything you both have mentioned....but I do remember that at first I wound up with the Internet light being off----which I thought was wrong at first-----so I didn't explore much from that point onward.
atigerman
join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI

atigerman

What type of router are you using that sits between the 7550 and your network?
atigerman

atigerman to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Not sure about rebooting. But if i switch the power off and turn it back on, the modem slips from bridge mode back to PPPoE mode for some reason.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

2 edits

Hank

Premium Member

atigerman - It should remain in bridge mode until you actually go in and change the mode back to PPPoE. What version is your firmware and what is the modem revision series? Make sure you are applying the changes.

Additional information: If you go into Advanced>Configuration>Save Configuration File this will save the configuration to the modem. There are also several other options one that I always do is save it to my PC. I then keep the configuration files by date and place them on a Thumb drive.
Radioboywv
Moatsville, WV

Radioboywv to Smith6612

to Smith6612
It's a Netgear cheapo----- WNR 1000v2. I was just now reading documentation concerning the PPPoE thing when I saw your post. I know it's something simple I'm over looking, but now I'm so engulfed in it, I can't see the forest for the trees.
Radioboywv

Radioboywv

YAY!----- I got it after going into the actual router. I guess I thought it would just magically work after bridging the modem/router. Duh. Thanks guys!!! You gave me the kick I needed!

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Very good, happy to hear that you have resolved the problem and was able to accomplish your goal.