Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

1 edit

6 recommendations

rocca

Premium Member

CNOC Submission

As we alluded to several times over the past few weeks we had been working on something big in the background to help permanently address the issues experienced over the past few months in terms of installation and service delays, bizarre tech behaviour and bunch of back-office problems we had been dealing with. After much effort in trying to co-operatively resolve issues we ended up filing a substantial 'part 1' with the Commission on Friday and today they tweeted about it - using a specific ISP hash tag instead of #CNOC, but hey, no one is perfect. They have invited comments, so if you have something to tell them - now's probably a good time.

The CRTC English twitter feed is »twitter.com/crtceng and the submission and comments section is available on the CRTC web site at »services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/ ··· Lang=eng or direct link to download our file at »services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/ ··· 3113.zip

In a nutshell our submission is simply asking for a level playing field for competitors using the TPIA platform and helping to mature the product with proper support tools, the same response time they provide their retail customers, an effective escalation process and accurate billing. The proposed framework builds on an existing framework used for ILEC services called QoS Indicators that helps create delivery expectations and then can be used to report on any disparities between retail and wholesale services.

Sorry for the delay in getting this out here, it seemed to be getting attention in other forums so I didn't want to duplicate it but many people have reached out to me privately to ask about it so probably best to post it here now.

If you have any questions, fire away.

edit: grammar fix

ilLoveStart
@start.ca

ilLoveStart

Anon

--- (as my nickname says).

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

HiVolt to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
Its an amazingly comprehensive submission, and spells out all the shit that's wrong with TPIA...

Start's been somewhat lucky not to have gone thru the bullshit that other ISP's have gone thru with the non-aggregated POI setups before... months and months of waiting for Rogers to upgrade the links, with peak hour speeds sometimes approaching dialup...

But the latest display of incompetence just pushed everyone to the breaking point I guess, where everyone involved agreed that it had to be put in front of the CRTC...

Lets see what the CRTC thinks and what the incumbents cry wolf about.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by HiVolt:

Its an amazingly comprehensive submission, and spells out all the shit that's wrong with TPIA...

Start's been somewhat lucky not to have gone thru the bullshit that other ISP's have gone thru with the non-aggregated POI setups before... months and months of waiting for Rogers to upgrade the links, with peak hour speeds sometimes approaching dialup...

But the latest display of incompetence just pushed everyone to the breaking point I guess, where everyone involved agreed that it had to be put in front of the CRTC...

Lets see what the CRTC thinks and what the incumbents cry wolf about.

the "cry wolf" would be that if iisp's what better service then they should pay us(the incumbents) more money.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to rocca

to rocca
It is weird, I worked for a 3rd party call center in the early 2000's and did support for cogeco, and Comcast and time warner in the usa. For all of those we had access to their systems, we could provision modems, and book techs directly (wonder if they still use that old app, cabledata).
If they could do that 13 years ago, I don't buy the incumbents argument they can't give tpia's access.
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot

said by GreenEnvy22:

I don't buy the incumbents argument they can't give tpia's access.

They can, they don't want to.

One thing is for sure, the incumbents don't want TPIA, and are making it as hard as they can for TPIA to thrive.

Great job Rocca! Wow...that's a complicated read. Hopefully someone can translate it for us non-lawyers.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22

Thats the point, they say they "can't" but in reality they do it all the time with 3rd party call centers. So they just don't want to.

GR_M
@start.ca

GR_M to rocca

Anon

to rocca
How do you provide comments? I didn't see the process in the documentation.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

If you go to »services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/ ··· Lang=eng and beside the CNOC file click on Submit, the after accepting their terms you'll want to select 'Option 1' for the type of submission, from there you can submit a comment or register your support (or opposition) to the application. Thanks for being part of the process!
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee to rocca

to rocca
Filed my complaint. lol

ilLoveStart
@start.ca

ilLoveStart

Anon

same
deafmonkey
Premium Member
join:2013-04-16
·Start.ca
SmartRG SR505N
Asus GT-AC2900

deafmonkey to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
I don't usually read comprehensive documents in English, However I did read 50%
of the document, I kind of got bored when It got to the topic of the billing
hassles, however It seems to mention a lot of the problems that has plagued
TPIA service nationwide for years.

I can only think maybe things will get better after they read something like
this.

It's an informative read, It helps me understand that TPIA is really at the mercy
of the incumbents so I probably should not be too hard on the TPIA's who are actually trying to provide us service, Like you know this company.

Thanks for posting.

-DM
khronlk
join:2009-10-26
Sarnia, ON

khronlk to rocca

to rocca
You might wanna bring up this too....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -TeMHys0