spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

spewak

Premium Member

[FireFox] Videos muted by default

Ever since the upgrade to FF24, whenever I go to youtube all videos are muted. Any help in undoing this? I already uninstalled and reinstalled both FF24 and Flash.
No joy!

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I hope this helps, but it also does the same thing with the latest version of Chrome on my iMac.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to spewak

Premium Member

to spewak
»[Rant] Flash requires cookies to save volume settings

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

3 edits

GeekGirl1 to spewak

Premium Member

to spewak
I had the same problem in Linux. No youtube audio in spite of everything I could do. Other audio sources OK. I manually unmuted the youtube audio and all is OK.

Then, I found this post in the Adobe forum: no YouTube Flash sound (exc Chrome), other flash sites ok

Update: I reproduced the problem as described in Blitzen's thread. It's the flash cookies. Thanks.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
Elk Grove, CA

spewak to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
Thanks blitzen
That link and the thread helped me to fix it.

M_
join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

M_ to spewak

to spewak
And here I was just trying to resolve this very issue....

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to spewak

Premium Member

to spewak
its not the flash cookies....I had no issue till yesterday with the volume muted, does it on IE too.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

It is the flash cookies, it's already been confirmed.

Darth Bane
@bellaliant.net

Darth Bane

Anon

YouTube is aware and are on it: »productforums.google.com ··· CgHO4MhU

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
Elk Grove, CA

spewak to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Let's put it this way Cartel, BlitzenZeus' post fixed the issue I was having.

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show
join:2000-01-05
Lynn, MA
·DSL EXTREME

Madness to spewak

to spewak
Yeah, I've been having that trouble, too. Seems to be the case after I open a browser for the first time. Load one video, turn the volume up, all subsequent videos keep the same setting. Close & reopen the browser, back to no volume. My cookies are set in the manner described in BZ's link.

Cartel
Premium Member
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

said by BlitzenZeus:

It is the flash cookies, it's already been confirmed.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR COMPUTER

This has nothing to do with your Flash Player settings, Windows, Chrome, Firefox, Linux, Android, or whatever device or program your are using.

This is a Youtube issue. Only they can fix it.

So don't waste time like I (and many others) did re-installing Flash or Firefox. We must Youtube to fix it.

To get sound you must put your mouse pointer over the speaker icon and adjust the volume level.

Again. Do not fiddle with your computer.

»answers.yahoo.com/questi ··· 7AAlMQIa

Thanks for your patience, all. We have been aware of this issue. It should be resolved soon.

While this issue is live, please try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or the workaround that rdhuston posted:

The mute will keep coming back for each video you watch, but you can get your sound back each time by pausing the video, right clicking the little X by the speaker symbol and then clicking the speaker symbol itself. Then start the video again. Kind of a pain, but at least you can hear the videos until the problem is fixed.

»productforums.google.com ··· 25-true]
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I never claimed it was the browser, operating system, or you had to reinstall anything. You're the one being a spaz over all of that.
said by BlitzenZeus:

I clear them in my browser so they are cleared on opening, and exit. it's not a big deal, just a minor annoyance. It's either a bug, or done to annoy those who throw off their marketing tracking.

If you completely block flash cookies, as in not letting flash save them, every youtube video is muted when loaded. Therefore is it the cookies their applet is expecting. So those people who were fine blocking all flash cookies, and wanted to watch a few youtube videos had to do one of two things, allow it, or set the volume every time. Those like me just have to set the volume once per browser session, and I made no changes due to this.

Put the caffeine down, you don't need anymore ever.

kevin12345
@rr.com

1 recommendation

kevin12345 to spewak

Anon

to spewak
Yep, the cookies is what's causing the videos to be muted if you delete all cookies. I use ccleaner and after it removes them and you go to youtube the videos become muted. I did find a way around the mute by using a script for greasemonkey called youtube center It allows you to set a default for the volume level and other video settings.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
said by Cartel:

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR COMPUTER

YES THERE WAS!! WERE YOU SITTING AT MY COMPUTER? AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
There, I can have a freak out just as easily. I thought you BC'ers were relaxed and calm, eh!

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Same here.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to spewak

Premium Member

to spewak
Well I tried all the above to get this volume thing to work...and it did for about half a day.
I have that cookie saved in FF and ccleaner, and still the vol. is muted when I go to youtube. Also while on YT I see the s.ytimg doesnt even show up as an active cookie on the site, which is weird since it used to for the longest time.

Hope this gets correct sooner than later.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak

Premium Member

Do you have the cookie saved in the Flash cookie manager?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Click for full size
To the best of my knowledge I do. My privacy setting box doesn't look like yours, and there isn't anywhere on it to add cookies. But in another box I do have it saved.

Darth Bane
@bellaliant.net

Darth Bane

Anon

Youtube fixed it.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Confirmed, you can go back to blocking youtube flash cookies to your hearts content.

Cartel
Premium Member
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

told ya....
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Told us what? Oh, you wanted to tell us you didn't read the other thread I already linked where I said it was a bug, and I even quoted it here. I said that before you even joined the discussion Sherlock. The only control we had over this problem was our side, the cookies, and yes it was proven that if you deleted or block the cookies until it was able to set a cookie with the volume settings by default they loaded muted. So some people wanted to a quick fix to this problem.

Thanks for playing, you didn't win, but you're taking home the exciting board game.

Cartel
Premium Member
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to spewak

Premium Member

to spewak
It wasn't the flash cookies, and I quoted a back up to my assumption.
It was a YouTube issue and it was resolved without any user input on my end.

that is all

dandeman
MVM
join:2001-12-05
Chapel Hill, NC

dandeman

MVM

Well the problem went away immediately when I turned off the blocking of flash cookies for me...
Expand your moderator at work
System

to spewak

Anon

to spewak
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course