spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rowerowe
join:2013-07-31
Pen Argyl, PA

rowerowe

What wireless router are you using?

So when I'm directly connected to my modem, I'm getting about 76Mbps download which is good! With my Linksys E1200 router, I'm getting about 25 Mbps wirelessly and around 50Mbps average on a wired connection. I am also getting slow internal speed to my servers, sometimes around 5MB/s when backing up my computer.

So this isn't much of a 'I'm having issues with my cable company" because I'm not and I'm getting the speed that I am paying for, but my router they gave me is the slowest part of my network. What are other people using for their wireless routers? Just trying to get an idea of what others are using for reaching their top speeds!

I have wireless devices in my house, and then wired going to my Dad's caption phone, TiVo device, printer server, my laptop upstairs, and switch (servers) down in the basement.

So I need a good wireless router for my phones and laptops, and maybe I can get my laptop wireless (right now, wired is faster for my needs). I could get a gigabit switch, going from a gigabit router -- so now I'm full gigabit -- 300 Mbps wireless.

What are others using and what do you recommend for my needs?

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

Other than local transfers, those sound like typical speeds for a router that is a couple or so years old. LAN to LAN speeds however should be closer to wire speed if there's not some other bottleneck, such as disk speed on the participating systems. Try something like iperf for LAN-LAN benchmarking to get a better idea of the router's limitations.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to rowerowe

MVM

to rowerowe
2nd clarknova See Profile... to test LAN to LAN transfers, get two PCs and iperf or similar, run a throughput test for
at least 3 - 5 minutes JUST on the device interconnecting them (the E1200). If it hits the full 100Mbps or 1000Mbps
that the E1200 and the NICs are rated for, then you're looking at a bottleneck on the endhosts themselves.

My 00000010bits

Dumb question, when you're hitting 5MBytes, how are you transferring, Windows fileshares?

Regards
rowerowe
Pen Argyl, PA

rowerowe

Yes, with the 5MB/s issue, it is Windows File Shares. But, at times, I also get 12MB/s which is my 100Mbps lan connection from the router, but other times it is 5MB/s.

I am guessing the E1200 V2 doesn't have a powerful enough CPU for my 75Mbps connection. It will usually stop at around 65Mbps and the full upload speed. That is an extra 10Mbps (I'm not crying over it lol) that I'm losing.

I had DD-WRT but now I'm back to the stock firmware. No improvements.

I'm trying the iperf thing!

Is it possible that this router is basically used for just slower 25Mbps/50Mbps connections?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

If you do not get the full 75mb download, with a wired connection, using DD-WRT or stock firmware, then you need a better router. My guess is the E1200 just doesn't have enough horsepower to move that much data across the WAN port.
rowerowe
Pen Argyl, PA

1 edit

rowerowe

Well I tried the LAN ports and did a speed test, using my server downstairs and laptop upstairs -- so going through two routers, one switch, and it maxed out 95Mbps download 78Mbps upload so that's good!

I know a bit about networking, but not so much routers. Is that possible that the WAN port and LAN ports are split separate? Like if I'm getting 100Mbps on the LAN-LAN, shouldn't I get the same LAN-WAN? OR does it do something extra that the CPU really can't push through?

I looked it up and it is saying 97Mbps WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN 118Mbps.
That is the WAN-LAN performance for my router, but I'm not getting that. From modem to my computer, I am getting over 75Mbps.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· n-router
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to rowerowe

MVM

to rowerowe
said by rowerowe:

Is that possible that the WAN port and LAN ports are split separate?

LAN to LAN is an internal bridge on the device, and there is VERY little reason these days to get wirespeed there.
WAN to LAN is a different ball of wax -- you're talking NAT/PAT, potential SPI, etc, and yes this can slow packet
processing down.

Ignoring that for now and back to your main problem, so IPERF shows the device can handle wirespeed without issue,
so you're back to a bottleneck on the computers themselves that's independent of the network -- possibly CPU, RAM,
HDD / controller...

That's how I see things right now.

Regards

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to rowerowe

MVM

to rowerowe
LAN to LAN traffic is passed by the internal switch. It is a separate interface from the WAN port. Any traffic that goes through the WAN port is processed by the router. Regardless of the routers listed 'capabilities', if you get full speed direct from the modem but reduced throughput on a wired connection through the router, then the router is the likely culprit.