spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Booooo Hoooooo Netflix...

Yea, I think if I would say fuck'em too if they bitched that I didn't build out just for their bottom line and then they started to cry about me not bundling their product.

""We would love to reduce the friction to the end consumer, and to be available via the existing device in the home, which is the set-top box," said Wells."

Bullshit. It's all about getting your app into as many devices as possible to increase the chances that you will gain more customers.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

What the hell are you talking about them building out for Netflix's bottom line?

Netflix is doing just fine with the current poor broadband structure in place. Sure it could improve and thus Netflix and lots of other 3rd party companies would be able to deliver a better service, but that is universal to the entire internet and not just one company.

Sure if the crap ISPs were to deliver better service to under served areas that would probably increase Netflix's bottomline, but it would do that for pretty much any 3rd party providers of services so again it is universal to the entire internet and not just one company.

Least you forget, the consumers pay for their connection and Netflix pays for theirs. It is 100% the ISPs responsibility to make sure the 2 are able to service one another.

battleop

1 recommendation

"What the hell are you talking about them building out for Netflix's bottom line?"

How often do we see their bullshit ISP rankings story on the front page of this very website? It's their way of trying to shame ISPs into building out faster networks so they can benefit. If I bad mouth you and then a week later expect for you to do me a favor how quickly would you do that favor?

"Least you forget, the consumers pay for their connection and Netflix pays for theirs. It is 100% the ISPs responsibility to make sure the 2 are able to service one another."

No, the ISP has a responsibility to service their customers, not Netfilx. Netflix want's ISPs to build out their networks and their expense for Netflix's benefit.

By the way I'm not advocating that ISPs should not build out and expand their networks.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Expand your moderator at work

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to battleop

Re: Booooo Hoooooo Netflix...

First off, their ranking can be viewed many ways and shaming ISPs is just one of them. May I ask why would any ISP be shamed if they were providing adequate services?

Second, if an ISP is not providing an adequate network to their consumers for them to be able to use Netflix (or any service for that matter) to their liking then it is the ISP's problem. All of them, including Netflix, simply serve bits at the request of the ISPs consumers. The ISP has a choice, they either shutup and deliver the bits and ignore their consumers or they improve their network so their consumers are satisfied with their experience. You see it as Netflix wanting the ISPs to build out, I see it as the consumers of the ISP wanting them to build out to make their experience better. Ultimate it is never at the ISP's expense. It is always at the consumers expense so I think what you really mean is that it is at the shareholders profit expense and that is what the ISPs really dont like.

Lastly, tell me how any of this would be any different than programmers wanting MS to improve their coding to their benefit or HP wanting Intel to improve their processors to HP's benefit or me wanting the place I play hockey at to improve their facilities to my benefit? Your right, there is no difference because in the end the consumer pays for everything as cost get passed on.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to battleop

Our ISP's deserve every bit of that shaming, and more.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by KrK:

Our ISP's deserve every bit of that shaming, and more.

+1000 You can't say it enough.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

No, the ISP has a responsibility to service their customers, not Netfilx. Netflix want's ISPs to build out their networks and their expense for Netflix's benefit.

And the ISPs in general are doing a poor job at it. No, the customers of the ISPs want this and they're using Netflix as a service via their connections. You have a pretty twisted perspective.

battleop

reply to Skippy25

The ranking is bullshit because it only measures what the end user subscribes to and not what they could subscribe to. This unfairly and incorrectly skews the results.

I would also like to know how in the world Google debuts at the #1 spot with almost no customers. How is it that EPB in Chattanooga who has almost 50k subscribers who had 50Mb and 3k who had 100+ at the time of the last ranking not even make the list?

"Lastly, tell me how any of this would be any different than programmers wanting MS to improve their coding to their benefit"

MS pretty much does what the hell they want. Programmers can scream all they want but MS is going to do what is best for MS and their customers.

"HP wanting Intel to improve their processors to HP's benefit"
They are not doing this for free..

"me wanting the place I play hockey at to improve their facilities to my benefit?"

You are their customer. So they would improve their facilities for their customers but they are not going to do it just to benefit a brand of skates.

--

battleop

reply to KrK

You are clearly sending a message by sending them your dollars every month.

Etobicoke, ON

said by battleop:

You are clearly sending a message by sending them your dollars every month.

I would agree if there are multiple providers everywhere and everyone had options but in many areas this is not the case and it is a matter of SUCK ISP #1 or SUCKING MORE ISP #2 and you don't have an option. This isn't like other material items where you have multiple options or just decide not to buy it.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

The ranking is bullshit because it only measures what the end user subscribes to and not what they could subscribe to. This unfairly and incorrectly skews the results.

They're not bullshit at all. Actually it is not measuring either. It is an average speed of the streams provided to the customer base of the ISP. The average combines both SD and HD content. IMO the numbers would make more sense if the SD and HD content were separated. There are a variety of conditions which influence the numbers such as the types of devices customers are using to view Netflix which results in different stream speeds based on the screen resolution (.e.g. SD, 720p, 1080p, 1080p SuperHD), the speed of their connection, the quality of the ISPs network in the last mile / backhaul and core, their transit or peering connectivity depending on how traffic is reaching the Netflix servers, etc.

said by battleop:

"me wanting the place I play hockey at to improve their facilities to my benefit?"

You are their customer. So they would improve their facilities for their customers but they are not going to do it just to benefit a brand of skates.

Except most of the time it doesn't work like that.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to battleop

Yes, because I can always do without.

Ah, the power of choice. Take what they offer or do without. Healthy competitive market!
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini