uniqs
share rss forum feed

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to firephoto

Re: Are We Witnessing the Decline of Ubuntu?

While generally agreeable to what you are saying, I think these complains boil down "They aren't doing it perfectly." There are so many areas that they could improve on, and there is enough criticism to go around to make up many news articles and opinion pieces.

Of course most companies develop their product and lock it all up behind copyrights, patents, company secrets, NDAs, etc. That is the norm in business. Trying to create a product that is open source, developed in conjunction with a volunteer community, and then balance that with your corporate needs is not something that is done lightly or easily.

Jono Bacon is an absolutely amazing community manager and the grace which he handles Canonicals decisions and the communities feelings is quite astonishing. I bet given permission to speak freely he could tell you plenty of Canonical horror stories.

That said, Canonical could go the Android route and just go it alone, which would be a reasonable approach. But they don't. They have gone through great lengths and spent a large sum of money to engage their community, their upstreams, and their downstreams. All engagements have not been perfect, and they will continue to not be. Furthermore, it is expected that the business needs of Canonical will continue to run orthogonal to other groups. I believe that despite all this what Canonical could do, the status quo, versus what it does do is quite good.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

said by Maxo:

Jono Bacon is an absolutely amazing community manager and the grace which he handles Canonicals decisions and the communities feelings is quite astonishing. I bet given permission to speak freely he could tell you plenty of Canonical horror stories.

And that's the issue right there. The organizations and societies and communities shouldn't be propping up the people, and those who support them, that only stand behind an issue because it's their job to say what they say. These are the peoples who's public views change as their jobs change but they gather a following that just hears what they say and looks no deeper into the substance of the matter. "He said it therefore it must be true or best!"
--
Say no to astroturfing. go to their profile, start ignoring posts and ignoring what's not true.