tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob

Re: Exchange Server Hacked

create a firewall rule to block the email port from all LAN computers

create another firewall rule to allow your exchange server to send on the email port

i don't know if your server was compromised from the LAN or the WAN, but i think those rules are best practice.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130

Premium Member

If the messages are showing in the Outbound queue, the server itself is doing the sending so the firewall rule won't help in this case but it's a good thing to do.

I would suspect malware on a PC causing the problems assuming you truly aren't an open relay.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

gotcha, good point.

all he would need to do is block port 25, correct? a compromised computer wouldn't try to send using a secure port(s), would it?

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130

Premium Member

The point being that a compromised computer may be sending crap via the Exchange server. Since the user is authenticated, the server is accepting the message.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to tomdlgns

to tomdlgns
The Connected Sessions were all from outside as the IPs were all Internet Routable.

Thanks,

Blob
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

can you lookup the IPs to see who they belong to? is it a block? i'd start by blocking access to those IPs in your firewall if you still see this happening in the next few days.

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob

The have not returned since I unchecked 'Allow all computers that successfully authenticate...'.

If I see them again I sure will.

Blob

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob
said by workablob:

I discovered my outbound queue had 50K messages.

I have been through the Open-Relay hardening process already and am running on port 587 with Comcast SMTP as a smart host..

Yea, that's the most common experience I have with growing sites that haven't appropriately locked down their server yet went for years and years without issue.
said by workablob:

The Connected Sessions were all from outside as the IPs were all Internet Routable.

Make sure these aren't bounceback messages! Your issue could still be internal...

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob

I've been monitoring the queues and they have not reconnected and the outbound queue is normal.

Thank you for the advice my friend

I can use all I can get.

Blob