Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

Re: Looking over my recent usage, im using more

said by tshirt:

It's already being reinvested so they can't spend it again.

No...

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Perhaps you forgot about this,
»blogs.wsj.com/deals/2013 ··· g-night/
something that in ComCast Managements judgment added value to the company, something shareholders agree with.
I think the problem is you mistakenly believe the company and it's investors are there just to benefit YOU (a customer) while in reality the company is there to benefit the owners and investors while selling you a service. at a profit.
that cash or cash equivalient or investment in other items to benefit of the shareholders IS NOT YOURS even if some of it came from fees you paid.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

I make no mistake believing a corporation's goal is anything other than maximizing shareholder value.
Upgrading the infrastructure has a direct link to that. Comcast is one of the most hated companies in the world. There isn't a single person that wouldn't switch if there were better options available (fios, google fiber..) so it's in the best interest of comcast to use it's retained earnings to improve its services before there are other options available.

Having a cap is the worst thing comcast can do but they will get away with it until the monopoly is there. But that monopoly will end as barriers to entry are reduced.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Alcohol:

Upgrading the infrastructure has a direct link to that.

And they are, just not the way YOU want, but everyone saw what happened when Verizon choose to overbuild there own plant with fiber, good for a few consumers (until the price hikes kick in) but near disaster for the company. (it isn't over yet , but more fiber isn't happening there)
said by Alcohol:

Comcast is one of the most hated companies in the world.

So you keep saying. The big guys are always a big target. Does loving Google some how make your internet work better? or make it cheaper?
I'm pretty happy with comcast because they came in to my area where TCI and AT7T failed and rebuilt the plant from scratch, and continue to upgrade year after year with faster offerings while verizion FAILED to finish the promised FIOS build out, dumped us to frontier who is marginally capable of keep POTS working let alone faster DSL or fiber.
So I don't hate comcast and I'm pretty sure if they are honest a lot of people would be happy that Cable offers advanced service over a huge portion of the country where NO OTHER PROVIDER does.
said by Alcohol:

There isn't a single person that wouldn't switch if there were better options available

If BP started selling gas for half of what exxon charges, or grocery chain A offered you BETTER meat for less than B charges.
Of course people will change where there is some clear advantage to them, but as Verizon noticed, quite a few people saw no clear advantage and they continue to experience a higher than expected churn rate in fios areas.
Low take rate +high churn = not nirvana.

mike34
Premium Member
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
Netgear CM500V
Asus RT-AC68

mike34 to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

There isn't a single person that wouldn't switch if there were better options available

These cap threads always produce some real pearls, don't they?
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
You would be wrong about not a single person wouldnt change. I for one have fios available and stay with comcast. At least until they have one more rate increase that is. Judging by most of my neighbors. Im not alone.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

1 edit

Alcohol

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

You would be wrong about not a single person wouldnt change. I for one have fios available and stay with comcast. At least until they have one more rate increase that is. Judging by most of my neighbors. Im not alone.

Enjoy your inferior service. I don't know a single person that chooses cable over fios. But i guess i underestimated the noobs.
Alcohol

Alcohol to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

said by Alcohol:

Upgrading the infrastructure has a direct link to that.

And they are, just not the way YOU want, but everyone saw what happened when Verizon choose to overbuild there own plant with fiber, good for a few consumers (until the price hikes kick in) but near disaster for the company. (it isn't over yet , but more fiber isn't happening there)
said by Alcohol:

Comcast is one of the most hated companies in the world.

So you keep saying. The big guys are always a big target. Does loving Google some how make your internet work better? or make it cheaper?
I'm pretty happy with comcast because they came in to my area where TCI and AT7T failed and rebuilt the plant from scratch, and continue to upgrade year after year with faster offerings while verizion FAILED to finish the promised FIOS build out, dumped us to frontier who is marginally capable of keep POTS working let alone faster DSL or fiber.
So I don't hate comcast and I'm pretty sure if they are honest a lot of people would be happy that Cable offers advanced service over a huge portion of the country where NO OTHER PROVIDER does.
said by Alcohol:

If BP started selling gas for half of what exxon charges, or grocery chain A offered you BETTER meat for less than B charges.
Of course people will change where there is some clear advantage to them, but as Verizon noticed, quite a few people saw no clear advantage and they continue to experience a higher than expected churn rate in fios areas.
Low take rate +high churn = not nirvana.

Good thing i wasn't talking about verizon fios then.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
Again i am the majority, Fios has a 24 percent penetration rate in this county. I dont really know what comcasts is but its at least 50 percent penetration rate.
biomesh
Premium Member
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

biomesh to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Good thing i wasn't talking about verizon fios then.

FiOS is Verizon. If you are referring to ftth that is totally different as it could mean any number of other providers.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Again i am the majority, Fios has a 24 percent penetration rate in this county. I dont really know what comcasts is but its at least 50 percent penetration rate.

Yes because most people choose comcast before fios was available and are unwilling to change or are simply unaware of the superiority.

Not sure if fios is more expensive but that will also be a criteria for most. Technology wise there is no doubt, fios is superior. Service is also superior because of better speeds with no caps.

Regardless, most tech savvy people will choose fiber (fios, google fiber, new startups..) when it's available as it's the better option.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

Its priced pretty close on the video side, Fios is more expensive for internet and phone tho. Comcast is pretty dam good around here. On par with fios. As far as people only having it because they already had comcast i guess you missed karls front page story of how many people have abandoned ONTS on the side of there house. That my friend would be thanks to people changing away from fios. If you want to talk superior fiber than i would just take comcast and run the metro E fiber which is also available from comcast. That my friend will blow fios out of the water. Again tho i want a reasonable speed at a reasonable price. As of now i have that with comcast.
patryan9
join:2004-06-16
Bolton, CT

patryan9 to egeek84

to egeek84

Re: [Caps] Looking over my recent usage, im using more

- No company would lower the price for people using less bandwidth if they are paying at amount already. I don't think there are many users out there that would budget their internet usage to stay under a discount cap.
- Peak usage is more likely their concern, using a lot of bits matters less than when you use them
- They set their prices to make sure they make the most they possibly can. There's no incentive for them to do otherwise.

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007 to train_wreck

to train_wreck

said by train_wreck:

not sure what you mean, "reintroduced"... I live in nashville, comcast started charging for over-cap residential usage over a year ago and hasn't looked back....

The correct thing I should have said is reintroduced to markets where they removed the caps. You got thrown under the bus by being in one of their "test markets".
said by train_wreck:

wish I could. i have a static, and so am forced to use it. the salesman i dealt with when I signed up told me that they were planning on dropping that requirement soon, but that was probably BS.

Forgot to put that into my post as well. I doubt they'll let people with statics run their own modems; sales reps will say almost anything to get you to sign. If you can work with a domain name instead of hard coding a static IP, I haven't had a problem with Dynamic DNS services out there. I'm currently using Hurrican Electric for my domain's DNS and they support DDNS updates. Still, my IP hasn't changed since I dropped the SMC; as long as the modem and router are up for the DHCP renewal, it gets the same IP.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by noc007:

The correct thing I should have said is reintroduced to markets where they removed the caps. You got thrown under the bus by being in one of their "test markets".

Figures.
said by noc007:

Forgot to put that into my post as well. I doubt they'll let people with statics run their own modems; sales reps will say almost anything to get you to sign. If you can work with a domain name instead of hard coding a static IP, I haven't had a problem with Dynamic DNS services out there. I'm currently using Hurrican Electric for my domain's DNS and they support DDNS updates. Still, my IP hasn't changed since I dropped the SMC; as long as the modem and router are up for the DHCP renewal, it gets the same IP.

Yeah ive thought about dynamic dns.... I just didn't want to be beholden to some service. I thought about writing a linux bash script that would login to my DNS provider and change the IP itself.... Actually, since you use dynamic DNS, i'll ask, about how long is the interval between when your IP changes and when the DNS gets updated?.... because i've heard varying reports of seconds to hours... I run a mail server here, so an hour+ of my clients (~20 total) not being able to access my server would be no bueno

btw, this threads kinda gone off the rails..

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by train_wreck:

Yeah ive thought about dynamic dns.... I just didn't want to be beholden to some service. I thought about writing a linux bash script that would login to my DNS provider and change the IP itself.... Actually, since you use dynamic DNS, i'll ask, about how long is the interval between when your IP changes and when the DNS gets updated?.... because i've heard varying reports of seconds to hours... I run a mail server here, so an hour+ of my clients (~20 total) not being able to access my server would be no bueno

FWIW, I have a dynamic IP business class account, and I use Namecheap as my domain registrar and external DNS provider. Their DNS service has integral IPv4 DDNS support (IPv6 DDNS is not currently supported internally). For my Linux server I use a cron script using lynx that synchronizes the dynamic DNS for several different domains every 15 minutes (but if I wanted it more often, it would not be a problem). For my Windows server I use their Windows DDNS client which has a minimum 15 minute resync time (but I suspect that could be shortened by just manually editing its XML config file).

However, as has been said already, if you don't change your router or it's WAN MAC address (or your server NIC if directly connected), chances are that the IP address(es) used by your router/server(s) won't change very often (if at all).

Since you run a mail server, there may be a price to be paid for changing to a dynamic IP address (even if it doesn't change). That price is that you will probably have to use Comcast's SMTP server as a smarthost instead of sending email directly, because many email servers will black list dynamic IP addresses. Also, you might need to change your SPF records if you are currently use A record entries in your SPF record.

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007 to train_wreck

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

Actually, since you use dynamic DNS, i'll ask, about how long is the interval between when your IP changes and when the DNS gets updated?.... because i've heard varying reports of seconds to hours... I run a mail server here, so an hour+ of my clients (~20 total) not being able to access my server would be no bueno

The TTL for the records is five minutes. I run pfSense as my router for now and it looks like it updates the record if the address changes. I am having problems keeping IPv6 functioning properly for more than a few days, but it is able to update HE with the IPv6 address if it changes; I haven't paid attention to the address so I really don'tknow if it has ever changed. My IPv4 address doesn't change hardly ever. Like NetFixer mentioned, either a MAC address change or everything being off when the DHCP lease expires is when one would probably have an address change. I've run years on the same dynamic address without a change and hadn't really bothered with DDNS until recently.
said by NetFixer:

Since you run a mail server, there may be a price to be paid for changing to a dynamic IP address (even if it doesn't change). That price is that you will probably have to use Comcast's SMTP server as a smarthost instead of sending email directly, because many email servers will black list dynamic IP addresses. Also, you might need to change your SPF records if you are currently use A record entries in your SPF record.

This is a really good point.

If you're cleaver enough, you may be able to write something to keep the SPF record updated. Depending on the DDNS provider, it may not be hard to update it. Since you've got a static address, they should be able to put the SMC in Bridge mode if it's not done already and allow you to run your own firewall without a nested NAT. Depending on your budget and situation, it may be beneficial to run the mail server on a VPS instead. The cost of the static address and modem rental may be more than a VPS from a quality provider.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to egeek84

to egeek84

said by NetFixer:

FWIW, I have a dynamic IP business class account, and I use Namecheap as my domain registrar and external DNS provider. Their DNS service has integral IPv4 DDNS support (IPv6 DDNS is not currently supported internally). For my Linux server I use a cron script using lynx that synchronizes the dynamic DNS for several different domains every 15 minutes (but if I wanted it more often, it would not be a problem). For my Windows server I use their Windows DDNS client which has a minimum 15 minute resync time (but I suspect that could be shortened by just manually editing its XML config file).

Word. I use hover.com as my regristrar, and they currently do not support ddns, so i'd have to go with yet another service to manage that. As well, because i'm running mail specifically, your point is valid about many other SMTP servers not accepting mail from dynamic addresses, proper DNS records or not. Ideally i'd like to stay away from using Comcast (or anyone else) as an intermediary, as that's part of the point of running my own server. As well, the SPF would be a bit of an issue.
said by noc007:

If you're cleaver enough, you may be able to write something to keep the SPF record updated. Depending on the DDNS provider, it may not be hard to update it. Since you've got a static address, they should be able to put the SMC in Bridge mode if it's not done already and allow you to run your own firewall without a nested NAT. Depending on your budget and situation, it may be beneficial to run the mail server on a VPS instead. The cost of the static address and modem rental may be more than a VPS from a quality provider.

I've worked it out, and it still is financially viable for me to do this on my own, particularly as I have the price subsidized by 3 roomates - if i went with an external host, i'd still have to have an internet connection here at the house, but then also foot the bill for the hosting.

Although this is becoming less viable, due to these seemingly-monthly rate hikes for various odds and ends... I do think it is a scam to not allow me to get out of the contract when these prices go up, even if it is because of some fine-print wrangling... but i digress

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to noc007

Premium Member

to noc007

said by noc007:

If you're cleaver enough, you may be able to write something to keep the SPF record updated. Depending on the DDNS provider, it may not be hard to update it.

Actually, I was talking about not using an A record reference at all in the SPF record since there would be no point anyway if you were sending email through Comcast's SMTP server instead of directly from your local server.

Here are the SPF records for my Linux and Windows servers (which use Comcast's SMTP server as a smarthost):

C:\>dig -ttxt webhost.dcs-net.net

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2 <<>> -ttxt webhost.dcs-net.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 64830
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1280
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;webhost.dcs-net.net.           IN      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
webhost.dcs-net.net.    1717    IN      TXT     "v=spf1 include:comcast.net ~all"

;; Query time: 46 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.9.2#53(192.168.9.2)
;; WHEN: Mon Oct 07 22:51:14 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 92

C:\>dig -ttxt dcs-srv.dcs-net.net

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2 <<>> -ttxt dcs-srv.dcs-net.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 18491
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1280
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;dcs-srv.dcs-net.net.           IN      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
dcs-srv.dcs-net.net.    1800    IN      TXT     "v=spf1 include:comcast.net ~all"

;; Query time: 93 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.9.2#53(192.168.9.2)
;; WHEN: Mon Oct 07 22:51:38 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 92

egkenny
join:2001-04-23
Huntsville, AL

1 edit

egkenny to train_wreck

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

not sure what you mean, "reintroduced"... I live in nashville, comcast started charging for over-cap residential usage over a year ago and hasn't looked back....

Huntsville is getting the 300GB caps in November. Going over the caps cost $10/50GB.
They do allow you to go over the cap 3 times per 12 month period without charging you extra.

Have you heard of anyone going over the cap in Nashville? Were they charged the overage fee?

BTW, wasn't reintroducing the caps supposed to be a trial? Is the trial over now with the caps now permanent?

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by egkenny:

Huntsville is getting the 300GB caps in November. Going over the caps cost $10/50GB.
They do allow you to go over the cap 3 times per 12 month period without charging you extra.

Have you heard of anyone going over the cap in Nashville? Were they charged the overage fee?

BTW, wasn't reintroducing the caps supposed to be a trial? Is the trial over now with the caps now permanent?

yes - i went over the cap for the first 3 months of the initial trial, back in fall 2012. i got emails and, eventually, an actual phone call from a human rep telling me i'd gone over the cap. In the 4th month, i got charged an extra $50. I switched to business class in January 2013, but a friend of mine said he went over ~2 months ago and got an email about it, so i think the caps are here to stay..
egkenny
Huntsville, AL

2 edits

egkenny

said by train_wreck:

yes - i went over the cap for the first 3 months of the initial trial, back in fall 2012. i got emails and, eventually, an actual phone call from a human rep telling me i'd gone over the cap. In the 4th month, i got charged an extra $50. I switched to business class in January 2013, but a friend of mine said he went over ~2 months ago and got an email about it, so i think the caps are here to stay..

It is strange that the information for Business Class clearly implies that it is meant for small and medium size businesses. Does the sales rep ask or even care if the customer is business or residential?

One evening last week I was browsing the information about Business Class internet. When I clicked the next button to see what the rates were I only got a message that stated a sales rep would call me. The first thing the next morning a sales rep did call. We were probably both annoyed when I had to explain I was only browsing their web site.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN

train_wreck to egeek84

to egeek84

yeah business class is somewhat of a stretched truth... it's the same backend as residential, just with slightly better reliability and a few useful features such as no cap and static IPs... other than that it's essentially overpriced residential
egkenny
Huntsville, AL

egkenny

said by train_wreck:

yeah business class is somewhat of a stretched truth... it's the same backend as residential

Since Comcast Business internet has no cap then a person would have to decide for himself whether the extra expense is worth it based on how much overage he might have to pay with Blast and how much Blast costs per month.

For example, if Blast is $70 and Business Deluxe 50 is $110 then 500GB per month is about the break even point. ($70 +4*$10)=$110. Of course since you get 3 free overages per 12 month period the break even point is closer to 600GB in this example.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to egeek84

to egeek84
sure. i will say, i never remember there being anything about 3 overages "per 12 months". I seem to remember it being 3 overages, period, then the charges start, but nothing about it resetting every 12 months.

and since then, my data usage has been closer to 1TB a month. the way i've worked it out, we would be getting charged an extra ~130-160 a month now. residential service would be about the same price then, and i wouldn't have static IPs. so business class makes sense atm.
egkenny
Huntsville, AL

egkenny

said by train_wreck:

sure. i will say, i never remember there being anything about 3 overages "per 12 months". I seem to remember it being 3 overages, period, then the charges start, but nothing about it resetting every 12 months.

What will happen if I exceed the new 300 GB usage allowance?
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· llowance

This information applies to customers in Nashville, TN only.

When you exceed 300 GB of data usage, you will receive an email, an in-browser notice (see below) and an additional 50 GB will be automatically allocated. In order for customers to get accustomed to the new data usage management plan, we will be implementing a courtesy period. That means you will not be billed for the first three times you exceed the monthly 300 GB allowance during a 12-month period. Should you exceed the monthly allowance after the courtesy period expires, you will automatically be charged $10 each time we need to provide you with an additional 50 GB of data for usage beyond your plan.

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

Click for full size
Xfinity Internet Usage for December
So just thought i'd let everyone know that this month was a heavy usage month for me because I started to stream my gaming on Twitch and because I downloaded a bunch of games on Steam for their Holiday sale. After all was said and done, I can't believe I hit over a terabyte of usage. Thankfully no one from Comcast has called me or anything. But yeah, going forward, I don't know if I will stream on Twitch because that eats up alot of bandwidth. It sucks because theres all these cool things I can do utilizing my internet connection yet I feel restrained in a way because I am always wary of going over the cap

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

2 recommendations

Johkal

MVM

That's incredible. I use that in 4 months. LOL!

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

LOL!! I know dude. I feel like any second now im gonna get a call where theyll be like "Sir, weve noticed an excessive amount of bandwidth being consumed at your household. We're going have to terminate your connection for the excessive use"

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 recommendations

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by egeek84:

said by Johkal:

LOL!! I know dude. I feel like any second now im gonna get a call where theyll be like "Sir, weve noticed an excessive amount of bandwidth being consumed at your household. We're going have to terminate your connection for the excessive use"

Sometimes I make download speedtests auto loop just to purposely rack up data usage lol.