spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

10/25/50 + (Unlimited) New plans?

Didn't see this posted before... not sure when they changed it. I did a quick search and didn't notice it... if it's a repost, please ignore!

»www.shaw.ca/internet/com ··· e-plans/

10+ - $155
25+ - $160
50+ - $180

(The + Means unlimited bandwidth).

I don't see unlimited 250 anymore... wasn't unlimited 250 only like $160?

Prices just keep going up and up..
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

Yah those are crazy expensive for unlimited.

I think you can get DSL unlimited through teksavvy for 55/month.

50mbps is nice but it's still faster than what I need. Most things stream less than 25mbps.

Shaw hasn't harrased me for my usuage yet (I probably average 500 to 600 gigs on bb50)..... I hope they don't try and push me onto one of these packages.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
I dunno I still see all the plans.. maybe just your area?
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
Hrm.

I have BB50 only because I need the quota - 400GB is good for me for now. But 25Mbps is more than fast enough for me, and unlimited is what I need.

AmRoD11
@shawcable.net

AmRoD11

Anon

Odd I don't see unlimited 100 anymore?
Gotspeed
join:2011-12-30

Gotspeed to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
Umm..I don't see unlimited 100 or 250 anymore.....I must be blind cause Shaw doing a move that that really would be stupid.
On another note .....Are you f*ck*ng kidding me $180.00 for unlimited 50mbps? Where the hell does Shaw get off asking consumers to pay that?
Gotspeed

Gotspeed to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu

Shaw's Phase one

Shaws Phase Two

Edward L
@184.64.79.x

Edward L

Anon

The iimage you have there is exactly how I feel right now and thank god I dropped shaw tv. I was planning to upgrade to 100 or even 100+ and down the line to unlimited 100 followed by unlimited 250 when it was available in my area but the impression I am getting now is that Shaw will never upgrade to 250 due to bandwidth issues from the move they have made now with the unlimited BB 50 and the price is the biggest rip off as compared to what they would have me pay or unlimited BB 100. That sucks.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
Wow,

That really sucks.

I usually defend Shaw but this is frickin highway robbery

bucko2012
@sasknet.sk.ca

bucko2012 to Edward L

Anon

to Edward L
wow!! is right

Thank god i'm shaw free and sasktel all the way. i think you should do the same, switch. sasktel and telus will never do such a thing like that.
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70 to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
It seems to me this may possibly be a ploy for when/if Shaw implements the bump-up program, to push people on to these 'unlimited' packages instead of the actual next-tier up which likely would be better/more suitable for most people.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
That's quite the staggering price increase.

84.90 for BB+Personal TV. I still have that bundle and it's 107 at my grandfathered rate. 107/84.90 = 27% increase in less than two years!

It gets worse. For new customers its 80+39.90=119.90 for that bundle. 119.90/84.90=41% increase in shaw advertised rates in less than two years.

I get the cable rates going up. The whole cable industry is probably doomed. No one seems to be able to reign in costs. Carriage fee's are going up through the roof which puts extreme pressure on a cableco's ability to turn profit.

The problem is shaw is also jacking the rates on broadband. More than likely because its more profitable than cable (no carriage fees).

I'm guessing this will continue. Higher carriage fee's mean higher cable rates which result in more people cutting the cord. The same companies that own TV distribution (cableco's and IPTV) are also people's only access to internet. I imagine we'll see a further shift of price increases on the internet (as cable companies will use the internet to recoup the losses from their TV side).

bucko2012
@telus.com

bucko2012

Anon

Just remember iptv is different cause I have sasktel max and they raised rates every few years or when they add more channels like hd. So I had an increase last april when they added twenty hd channels. So in reality sasktel does not raise four to ten dollars like Shaw does. They know better. Everytime they add new channels they only raise two to three bucks. But it only happens when they add new hd channels or new channels. That's only few years or every year depends on customer demands. Shaw raises rates whenever they feel like it. That's why I'll never beva Shaw customer.

Hope it on topic but that the way it is.
Gotspeed

Gotspeed to Doonz

to Doonz
Yup Highway robbery for sure...here's a video just o reinitiate the fact of a complete rip-off. Company's now are following Google $70.00s 1gbps/1000mbps unlimited while Shaw feels it's fair to charge $180.00 for unlimited 50mbps.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Mx7k7mso
wholewheat
join:2013-10-07

wholewheat to bucko2012

to bucko2012
said by bucko2012 :

Just remember iptv is different cause I have sasktel max and they raised rates every few years or when they add more channels like hd. So I had an increase last april when they added twenty hd channels. So in reality sasktel does not raise four to ten dollars like Shaw does. They know better. Everytime they add new channels they only raise two to three bucks. But it only happens when they add new hd channels or new channels. That's only few years or every year depends on customer demands. Shaw raises rates whenever they feel like it. That's why I'll never beva Shaw customer.

Hope it on topic but that the way it is.

IPTV is not different at all. Look at Telus, they are infinitely scummier than Shaw, and their prices go up just as fast (if not faster) for inferior service and smaller packages.

Sasktel is a Crown corporation, which I suspect has a lot to do with their rates remaining lower and not increasing as much.
Mustafa7
join:2006-10-04

Mustafa7 to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
They are all a bunch of greedy pricks.

I can’t say with certainty but I really would not be surprised if Shaw, Rogers, TELUS and Bell get together and set prices. They remind me of the oil cartels.

I know for a fact that Shaw and Rogers signed a no compete agreement so the oil cartel analogy really doesn’t seem so far fetched.

Something needs to be done to get these clowns in line. The peasants can make a difference remember the peasant uproar and then backtracking from the ISP’s when they tried UBB. We need something like that to pressure the bureaucrats for some changes to get reasonable prices. The way things are going your basic cable and internet package is going to cost about as much as a $100k monthly mortgage payment in another 5 years.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to Gotspeed

to Gotspeed
We all need to share this with Robellus and just spam them with it until they respond
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

Heres a pic of whats to come, for those who still are able to see the 100+ unlimited plan...

Note the big price is first three months, afterwards it jumps up quite a bit.

I live in Port coquitlam (Right by vancouver) Btw.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8 to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
I'm curious if they will throttle upload with the "unlimited" plan. To tell you the truth these prices make me sick. Prices for internet should be going down not up.

Teksavvy price for unlimited 10meg on cable is $39.99

WTF!!!! shaw $155???

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Ikarasu

Premium Member

to Ikarasu
I remember when they first announced the phase 1, 2, and 3 stuff, there was mention of the slower plans with potential unlimited pricing.

This matches what I can remember, maybe a little higher, of course Unlimited 100/250 has went up a lot in the mean time too
Mustafa7
join:2006-10-04

Mustafa7 to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
Is it a coincidence that for example BB50 unlimited is almost what I pay now for TV and 10Mb? I have phone to and it’s up to about $190 after taxes a month. You would almost think Shaw knows that eventually cable TV will be going the way of the Doo-Do bird. I guess this is the solutions to keep their high margins for that eventuality.
DanteX

DanteX to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
Goes ot show there is no cost difference between Unlimited 50 , 100 and 250 eh ?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yeah, unlimited 100 and 250 is what $195? Unlmited 50 is $180

5 times faster for $15
Gotspeed

Gotspeed

said by kevinds:

Yeah, unlimited 100 and 250 is what $195? Unlmited 50 is $180

5 times faster for $15

The Unlimited 100 and 250 are no longer available. From what I've been told by one of Shaw's frustrated foreman the network just can't handle it. So with the pricing structure of the new lower speed tiers with unlimited, Shaw is still trying to keep their revenue streams very profitable without giving the speed increases.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Mustafa7

to Mustafa7
said by Mustafa7:

I know for a fact that Shaw and Rogers signed a no compete agreement so the oil cartel analogy really doesn’t seem so far fetched.

Would it really matter. There's only one set of cable's going into a person's home and connecting all those homes together. From what I remember Rogers/Shaw had different zones (before shaw took over the west and rogers took over ontario) but they didn't directly compete with each other in those zones.

IE they didn't have two sets of copper going between all the homes. So it wasn't really competition as I don't think we ever had a choice between the two.. depending which parts of BC you live in you had access to either/or but not both.

The only competition is between the two sets of wires that go into everyone's homes. The phone company vs. the cable company. It's a duopoly. They don't really need to colude. They both have zero incentive to reduce prices (as the other one would be forced to match) so they just tip toe and continue to increase them. If they both keep raising them they win, if one of them lowers their prices they both lose out.
DanteX

DanteX to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
SO how long until telus jacks up their rates to match this scam Shaw is doing?
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

Do they need to? Telus' version of bb50 is the same price with the same cap (but they do give you a $5 discount for bundling). Telus' essentials is cheaper than shaw's personal tv, but it doesn't include sports channels.. so it's pretty much a wash.

I guess the question would be is Telus going to offer 180 dollar/month unlimited packages?
eject
join:2013-01-23

2 edits

eject to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
I gotta say to me this is a leap in the right direction to me. The prices are horrendous but at least they are no longer hoodwinking people with unnecessary throughput increases relative to the paltry data bandwidth. Would be curious for plans like 25 what the price is minus the modem rental since it's unnecessary to have their wifi offering. Now if they claim you do need it that's another leap backwards since I can download multiple TB's a month on my 25 package with an older modem I purchased. Pretty ok work from Shaw, it is highway robbery but like South Park eloquently illustrated in last weeks episode cable can play by their own nipple tweaking rules but at least this is reacting to a failed package tiering system which was my largest issue. 100mbit would be nice but even for a hardcore every waking moment on the internet user unnecessary when compared to chits and bits data bandwidth, 25mbit and unlimited would suit that person much better.

How about increasing the baseline cap for all packages, just because you did it 3 years ago doesn't mean it's current for 2013 going in to 2014 and the Xbox One/PS4 digital downloads era of 20-40 gigabytes a game.
Expand your moderator at work