uniqs
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

4 edits

18286719 (banned) to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu

Re: 10/25/50 + (Unlimited) New plans?

lol so essentially shaw is making everyone looking for unlimited usage on cable go to tek savvy

Shaw Unlimited 10 = 155 / TSI Unlimited 10 = 39.95

Shaw Unlimited 25 = 160 / TSI Unlimited 25 = 44.95

Shaw Unlimited 50 = 180 / TSI Unlimited 50 = 99.95

LOL is whoever came up with those shaw plans needs a reality check

Shaw Unlimited 250 for 195 is the only option that tek savvy cant match, and Shaw confirmed on the phone today to me that unlimited 100 and 250 are gone

also BB250 = $120 - 1TB, on unlimited 10 for 155 in order for a user to use 1tb in a 30 day period requires them to use 9.26mbps 24/7, i would challenge shaw to show 1 unlimited 10 customer that uses more then the 1tb cab of bb250 which would save them $35 and give them better speeds
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by 18286719:

LOL is whoever came up with those shaw plans needs a reality check

I agree. I'm hoping teksavvy expands their cable offering to Vancouver Island (currently they only offer DSL here). I guess they have so many problems with Rogers out East that its not on their radar

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Marc (CEO) says they are working on it, but Shaw keeps not installing their backhaul to be able to offer to more Shaw areas
Chilli
join:2013-10-05
Canada

Chilli to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu

x

a

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium Member
join:2011-02-03

MerinX to Ikarasu

Premium Member

to Ikarasu

Re: 10/25/50 + (Unlimited) New plans?

What a joke, back when internet cable first came to my city Monarch.CA offered a power user plan with limitless usage for 10 more bucks. Which was more then fair.

This is why i switched to telus because Shaw would not stop harassing me to upgrade to their most expensive plan. Now i just use unlimited with telus 50.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

But Telus 50 isn't unlimited either
e_phils
join:2001-04-19
Canada

e_phils

said by kevinds:

But Telus 50 isn't unlimited either

True. However, I download roughly 800-900 gigs a month for the past two years. Never heard a single thing from Telus.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

I've only been back on Shaw for two years and change, and I never had problems on Telus.

I used Telus for 10 years and in that time I only heard a peep out of them once. Around 2005/6 I think was. During some kind of telus strike they decided to take a stab at cap enforcement. I went to teksavvy for a bit then switched back when they were done.

As far as I can tell in the Telus forum they don't really harass you about overage (regardless of what the website says).

On the other hand Shaw hasn't bugged me either.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to e_phils

to e_phils
I do over 1TB on Telus 25 and not a peep from them and their online counter showed me as doing 300GB

Excuse me while I offload my vps mwhahaha
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by DanteX:

I do over 1TB on Telus 25 and not a peep from them and their online counter showed me as doing 300GB

Excuse me while I offload my vps mwhahaha

I'm still pretty content on Shaw's 50mbps package (Which is similar in price to Telus'). For me it's all about shaw increasing the fee too much, or harassing me about usage. Most months I do about 500 or 600 gigs. My biggest spike in the last year was an 800 gig month. So far shaw has left me alone. Then again I cancelled my phone line with them so it's entirely possible they can't figure out how to reach me

If Shaw ever raises the cost too high or harasses me about caps Telus is definitely an option (assuming they stay relaxed on limits). My only concern is if Telus did enforce I'd be stuck in a situation where I would have to move from Telus to Teksavvy. For me this would be DSL to DSL. I tried that once. I had no internet for a week. It's better going to dsl to cable or vice versa. Then they don't use the same line, so you have the services overlap each other in case something happens.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Or just Shaw to Teksavvy
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
True. Except telus doesn't charge dry loop fees which makes it a bit cheaper....

Of course this all hinges on shaw harassing me about usage. The minute they do.. I'm gone.... but it's been two years and nothing yet. I try not to exploit it but I do go over the cap by several hundred gigs a month.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

them harassing you will only be because they wanna sell you something more expensive like bb100, and i mean if you are going over your cap, for shaw to ask you to switch to a higher tier does make sense, but asking anyone to switch to there new unlimited plans is a crime, also i am about 99% telus is starting to ask users on lower tiers going over caps to upgrade aswell, some telus people try to deny it but its true, however if you subscribe to there fastest plan the 50/10, i dont think anyone on that plan has been nagged about going over there 500 yet

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

It has to do more with if your node is saturated, if they bug you or not

If your node has 10% utilization, it isn't worth the time bugging someone about their usage.
If your node is 100% utilization, a single modem at 50 mbps can have a noticable effect on the 320 mbps available to a node
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
I'd probably shell out $10 or $20 more to get bb100 with a bigger cap but because I'm grandfathered it ends up being 29 or 39 more.

I've never experienced node saturation the whole 2+ years I've been on bb50. Even using up 500 to 700 gigs a month, my connection is probably dormant or low usage 98% of the time. I guess most other people are like that. When you have a fast speed downloads are quick. I guess I'm also lucky that I have no node saturation here.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

your grandfathered?, howcome in your shaw review you say it used to be 59 but now its 80, also im about 99.9% sure u cant switch from one grandfathered plan to another lol, and im fairly certain u cant be grandfathered on bb100 or 50, unless you have like the nitro or whatever the 50/1 was that shaw used to have. anyway, your shaw review and your post in this thread kinda go against each other so i would fix one of the 2 if it was bb50 when you signed up, im pretty darn sure it can not be grandfathered and you will be affected by the bump up like everyone else, also i commented on your shaw review the other day aswell asking about why you have connection reliability at 100%, a response to that would be nice, thx .
eject
join:2013-01-23

eject to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
changing the plans to include an unlimited offering is double edged since they will try to gouge money off their bump up plans if ever activated, but at least they're reacting, albeit poorly, to the criticism of their shoddy plan structure. shaw has quickly turned 'heel' from canada's best ISP to one of the worst and it will require a mass exodus of clients before another watershed moment occurs, i believe the last time that happened was nearly a decade ago but they did come back better from it so if you're harassed by one of their heavily accented lisp voiced enforcers certainly pull the trigger on a switch but do it peacefully and keep an eye on the situation since it's possible for shaw to recover from their current slump.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

said by eject:

so if you're harassed by one of their heavily accented lisp voiced enforcers certainly pull the trigger on a switch but do it peacefully and keep an eye on the situation since it's possible for shaw to recover from their current slump.

very true + i think people generally forget how many damn ports telus blocks, aswell as the fact they still dont offer a proper way of bridging there modems without hacking them and doing stuff telus dont want you to. aswell as outsourcing level 1 TSA's to india....... i dont even think verizon does that so they deserve to be in canada more then telus lol id rather support the states then india
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to 18286719

to 18286719
said by 18286719:

your grandfathered?, howcome in your shaw review you say it used to be 59 but now its 80, also im about 99.9% sure u cant switch from one grandfathered plan to another lol, and im fairly certain u cant be grandfathered on bb100 or 50, unless you have like the nitro or whatever the 50/1 was that shaw used to have. anyway, your shaw review and your post in this thread kinda go against each other so i would fix one of the 2 if it was bb50 when you signed up, im pretty darn sure it can not be grandfathered and you will be affected by the bump up like everyone else, also i commented on your shaw review the other day aswell asking about why you have connection reliability at 100%, a response to that would be nice, thx .

I put 100% connection liability because my line goes full speed all the time (no slowdowns) and it's always up and working? It's a rock solid connection.

As for the bb50 price. My bundle is BB50+Personal TV for 107 and that appears as such on the bill. I have no idea what shaw's breakdown is for just bb50 on my bill. I could be paying 80 for bb50 and 27 for personal tv. I could be paying 40 for personal tv and 67 for bb50. Since I had no idea I just posted shaw's current rate in the box.
eject
join:2013-01-23

eject to 18286719

to 18286719
well i was referring to shaw since every call i've received from them may as well be an indian. the person i dealt with had an issue of talking over me asking simple questions and had a weird lisp that made it hard to decipher what he was saying. telus isn't a great switch, i'd be looking at a third party provider since more are popping up but it's starting to become like usenet, if you find a good provider you keep it secret so the masses don't jump on it bringing more attention until it's as bad as the mainstream providers.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to zod5000

to zod5000
fair enough, but just to be clear your on bb50 (50/3) and not warp right (50/1), also in order for me to get connection reliability of 100% i will need atleast 3 months without my internet going down, and probably no more then 2 outages per year (announced if possible) with no more then 8 hours downtime yearly, id still call that 99% reliability but i have probably had almost one outage a month since i started with shaw, though i have high hopes i will go a longtime without downtime now, and i have been waiting for that time so i can see how reliable shaw has been, but in like the 5-6 years i had telus adsl2+ it definitely never went out more then my shaw has in the last 8 months, which is pretty sad, tho i did use to have problems with telus before i was on adls2+

ps it shouldn't be to hard for u to find out how much your paying for bb50 and how much for tv, lol

18286719 (banned) to eject

to eject
lol so many times i have been put on the phone with like someone chinese i ask to speak to a english person and they hang up on me, its fucking hilarious, one girl was like BUT I CAN UNDERSTAND U(extreme asian accent), and i was like NO U CANT. its still about 90% white people who dont have lisps tho, telus level 1 TSA's are still 100% from india

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

Even for mobility? I called with the number from GetHuman to get plan details for my cell and I got a nice guy who did not have an Indian accent and said he was from Alberta.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

i can't speak for telus mobility because i never have used that service, we are on an internet service forum tho, i was talking about telus internet if it wasnt obvious.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

I'll test later. I'm getting Telus Optik soon. It was obvious.
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

I do 1 TB a month on Shaw, and no warnings or anything. I'm a bit worried about the bump up program though. Anyday now, they can just decide to charge me an extra $100.

I'm going to jump ship. I'll be calling them, and giving them my 30 day notice. I decided to switch to Ciktel, I've heard good things about them (Bad things about their support...) But unlimited 25MB for $40. Including Chinese IPTV(For G/f) and home phone. And if I change from them, I'll goto Teksavvy... I'm done with the big 2 internet companies. Willing to give up my $50/50MB plan, even though I have 4 months left on it... I'd rather support the smaller companies.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by Ikarasu:

I do 1 TB a month on Shaw, and no warnings or anything. I'm a bit worried about the bump up program though. Anyday now, they can just decide to charge me an extra $100.

I'm going to jump ship. I'll be calling them, and giving them my 30 day notice. I decided to switch to Ciktel, I've heard good things about them (Bad things about their support...) But unlimited 25MB for $40. Including Chinese IPTV(For G/f) and home phone. And if I change from them, I'll goto Teksavvy... I'm done with the big 2 internet companies. Willing to give up my $50/50MB plan, even though I have 4 months left on it... I'd rather support the smaller companies.

That's my plan except I'm waiting for shaw to make the first move. If they either harass me about usage or completely remove grandfathered rates I'm gone. I still get best of HD for $20 and my bb50+personal TV is 107 a month instead of 120. After the onslaught of price increases there's potential for them to raise me another $28/month before I get to current rates.....

The thing is if shaw chases me a way.. I think that's when I completely cut out cable. Between the internet and online video stores I can get most of what I want without cable. The live sports is the toughest one.... but there's a few workarounds and I can live with missing a few things.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8 to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
said by Ikarasu:

I looked at Ciktel but I really dislike that the price after the one year promo jumps to $69.99. Teksaavy is just $44.95 25m unlimited
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by spock8:

I looked at Ciktel but I really dislike that the price after the one year promo jumps to $69.99. Teksaavy is just $44.95 25m unlimited

Hmmm the BC price for Teksavvy DSL is 45/month with a 300gb cap or 55/month unlimited plus the dryloop fee?

bucko2012
@sasknet.sk.ca

bucko2012

Anon

it sounds good does it zod, maybe the price of dsl is tempting, you wonder eh?

I wonder too if it was here.