He probably meant teksavvy cable. That's $44.95 for 25/unlimited

Indeed
Bandito
join:2003-01-23

1 edit

Bandito to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
said by Ikarasu:

I do 1 TB a month on Shaw, and no warnings or anything. I'm a bit worried about the bump up program though. Anyday now, they can just decide to charge me an extra $100.

I'm going to jump ship. I'll be calling them, and giving them my 30 day notice. I decided to switch to Ciktel, I've heard good things about them (Bad things about their support...) But unlimited 25MB for $40. Including Chinese IPTV(For G/f) and home phone. And if I change from them, I'll goto Teksavvy... I'm done with the big 2 internet companies. Willing to give up my $50/50MB plan, even though I have 4 months left on it... I'd rather support the smaller companies.

I want to switch to but then the home phone and tv are so bundled together then you'll likely pay more per year? Of course, I heard of people switching every few months but obviously what they're not telling is that they will be gaps where they will not have service. Also Ciktel's website is just horrendous. I wouldn't trust them.
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu to spock8

to spock8
Last promotion Ciktel had, they clarified that the "One time promotion" applied to the free modem / ect. And that the $40 plan, was a lifetime thing.

I have not asked about this promotion, but I imagine its the same thing. But thanks for pointing it out... I'll make sure to ask before I cancel (Been busy lately)
eject
join:2013-01-23

eject to zod5000

to zod5000
why haven't you delved deeper into online streaming, Live247.tv / MyStreams.tv / StarStreams.tv all offer fairly robust sports programming, i'm sure there's more services like them also. check the schedule if you don't believe but they're far more reliable than things like wiziwig and the plethora of free link aggregators. it costs $250 CAD annually i think...you're not going to be channel surfing but pretty much smashes shaw/telus in the teeth for price and good reliability/programming. forget the premium channels/ppvs it relays the thing pays for itself fairly quickly, only problem is joining which maybe problematic since they may not be accepting new accounts. just wanted to point it out for demonstration on how bad the modern cable television delivery system is, outstripped and clunky. internet needs to become the sole focus going forward and emulating these services for tv delivery.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8

said by eject:

why haven't you delved deeper into online streaming, Live247.tv / MyStreams.tv / StarStreams.tv all offer fairly robust sports programming, i'm sure there's more services like them also. check the schedule if you don't believe but they're far more reliable than things like wiziwig and the plethora of free link aggregators. it costs $250 CAD annually i think...you're not going to be channel surfing but pretty much smashes shaw/telus in the teeth for price and good reliability/programming. forget the premium channels/ppvs it relays the thing pays for itself fairly quickly, only problem is joining which maybe problematic since they may not be accepting new accounts. just wanted to point it out for demonstration on how bad the modern cable television delivery system is, outstripped and clunky. internet needs to become the sole focus going forward and emulating these services for tv delivery.

I tried those 3 sites but it looks like registration is closed
spock8

spock8 to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
I would be interested in the promotion if it was 40$ for life
eject

1 edit

eject to spock8

to spock8
ya you'll have to keep an eye on their twitter or join their irc or something, there's no real invite system that i know of. not a shill for them either, as a matter of fact i'm not even a member but i do share a friends account and toss him half the cash to keep it going, last time i sent 125 so that's why i think its 250, hell maybe i'm paying the entire year lol but that wouldn't matter cause it's worth it, i can stream to my wdtv through serviio and watch on a big screen or use rtmpdump to watch on pc, they also have a xbmc app too i believe. even do 720p streams but that's a bit overkill for my shitshaw, it works but gets the chop. they're not the only game in town either and are more sports centric, there's a couple more 'premium' stream sites out there and very competitive with cable.
Rawrzy
join:2005-08-17
Canada

1 edit

Rawrzy to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
So they dissolved the higher tier unlimited plans then charge an arm and leg for the lower speed unlimited all the while increasing its cost every 6-8 months by increments of $5 or so. Nice...

I'd switch to Telus if they weren't already on par with Shaw's pricings so there's no real competition here.

25/50 used to be $10 difference now it's $20...

bucko2012
@sasknet.sk.ca

bucko2012

Anon

switch to telus, they have higher uploads than Shaw so high price means bit better upload for telus. if you want great uploads and pings, telus is for you.
wholewheat
join:2013-10-07

wholewheat

said by bucko2012 :

switch to telus, they have higher uploads than Shaw so high price means bit better upload for telus. if you want great uploads and pings, telus is for you.

We get it, you spend your day telling people to switch from Shaw. I hope you get paid well.

I'm not saying Shaw is definitively better than Telus (or vice versa), but do you actually have anything of value to contribute?

ikarasu2
@shawcable.net

ikarasu2 to spock8

Anon

to spock8
This is the E-mail I got from Ciktel -

"Dear Customer,
Thanks for emailing us.
For your information, the service we provide is not just for 1 year, whenever we shall change the price, we will let you know first or post it on our website. You can call Sales hotline to get full-detailed information."

Looks like it isnt just for a year. I'll be calling and switching sometime this week.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to eject

to eject
said by eject:

How about increasing the baseline cap for all packages, just because you did it 3 years ago doesn't mean it's current for 2013 going in to 2014 and the Xbox One/PS4 digital downloads era of 20-40 gigabytes a game.

It probably won't happen. Telus isn't really competing on that front, and lower caps help protect their TV services. I think thats a North American trend. Lower Caps to keep people from consuming too much online video.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
Just thought I would share some pricing with you guys.

THrough alberta supernet:

IP Transit from Beaumont to Calgary MMC is 1700/mnth for 100mbit
Internet Gateway Access through Axia is 1700/mnth for 100mbit

So 3400/mnth for 100mbit unmetered without going through any of the large providers

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

That is much much cheaper than what I was quoted for 100 mbps in Nanaimo...
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by kevinds:

That is much much cheaper than what I was quoted for 100 mbps in Nanaimo...

THat is using the ALberta Gov Supernet.

FYI is you dont go with 100mbps or 1gbps it was like 50bux trainsit

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I know, thats why I liked the idea of the Supernet when it started.

Before the Supernet, there wasn't a way to get those speeds of internet access for that little
Ikarasu
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

Follow up to Ciktel, for those who had questions.

The price is "forever", unless the promotion says otherwise.

The transition from shaw was painless... didn't lose internet, or nothing.

As expected, the customer service is a joke. I went to online chat to inquire why I was getting 10M, instead of 25 (Same day of hookup), and they told me to d/c my modem from the router / directly connect it to the comp..and then let her know the results of a speedtest. (Funny, because I would have been dc'd by doing that...).

And a few other funny tidbits. I hear the customer support is from china, so they can do 24/7 support... Not very knowledgable.

Besides the 10M thing, which was just the first day of hookup... the net is working just as fast as shaws. And I dont have to worry about being bumped up to a $170 a month plan.

Funny thing is, EVERY week since I canceled, shaw called me...asked what they did wrong / whether I'd re-consider going back... offered me 50M internet for 6 months for $50 a month... I told them I wasn't ok with their business practices, and I still had 3 months left on my last $50/50 deal, and I'd rather pay $40 a month for 25M, to a company that offers unlimited, even if shaw hasn't enforced the cap yet.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Lesson being direct connect before contacting support next time?
Expand your moderator at work
Ikarasu
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu to kevinds

to kevinds

Re: 10/25/50 + (Unlimited) New plans?

Lesson being support is stupid, as is normally the case.

If a un-techsavvy customer did an online chat, and did what they asked... It wouldn't have gone over too well.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Might have been their plan? the average customer time would go down significantly
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70

I called Shaw again yesterday to inquire about the lack of BB250 and now the apparent removal of Unlimited 100.

The rep claimed that at least in my area, their network couldn't support the traffic being generated by the unlimited 100 people, and also the BB250 trials they had in the area... so they've put both of these on indefinite hold with no ETA.

They never mentioned what would happen if you go over the BB100+ cap though.

Pretty disappointing nonetheless. :/

Baud1200
join:2003-02-10

3 edits

Baud1200

Hopefully the addition of Verizon will pressure them to actually upgrade their available packages and infrastructure, rather than downgrade them after a year!
said by spectrum70:

The rep claimed that at least in my area, their network couldn't support the traffic being generated

So much for their fine type excuse of bad speeds being a limitation of the "dynamics of the internet" and not their local gear

At very least they won't be able to complain about network overhead when the majority of their users migrate to superior speeds elsewhere.

Maybe with some competition one day we can catch up...also note the limited amount of countries in the chart, since its gov of Canada provided many Asian and European countries are left off so that the user cant see its even cheaper there than anything on the chart.
eject

2 edits

eject to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
this topic is very interesting since it shows shaw's in a strange spot and in my opinion the most relevant to me since joining this forum, they've always reconfigured their package offerings and been highly inconsistent on that front but with these new unlimited 10/25/50 it tells me they're acting somewhat logical...besides the pricing. i still think it's the right move going forward because the 100/250 or even gbit internet isn't as practical as larger data bandwidth but the pricing must be way off reasonable, i can't say for certain as i have no real knowledge on back end workings and logistics, but it looks exaggerated and geared towards short term gouging. i've read more learned people like kevwinds here describing the process and pricing but am still curious what the 25mbit unlimited data package should be priced with value for customer and profit for share holder striking a better balance since $155.00/mo must be more in favour of the money handlers when third party providers can do the same package at $50.00/mo. Why does shaw desperately need that extra $105.00 if it obviously isn't that necessary, I don't know.
gitaroo
join:2010-08-03

gitaroo to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
I got 2 warning before, and I have 100+, and going over very often. Can't help it when theres 5 people in the house and everyone want to stream HD video and do video chat every week end. First time was 1 TB, second time was 900 GB, not sure what is going to happen if I go over if I go over again, since they removed the note subject to bump up program. Very frustrating when other people in the house just abuse the internet leave video chat video on even when they are no talking GRRRRRR!
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by zod5000:

I guess the question would be is Telus going to offer 180 dollar/month unlimited packages?

Do you want them to? As far as I know Telus doesn't enforce their caps so I would think you're better off with out them introducing a formal unlimited plan with crazy expensive monthly fees (to be fair I haven't heard a peep out of shaw about my contant overuse of my bb50 package either).

S250
@shawcable.net

S250

Anon

I have been on BB250 since the 1st day it was available. I have done almost 5TB's some months and they don't ever bother me.

This is all 95% downloads. I don't do the uploading stuff. As far as I am concerned in my area BB250 might as well be unlimited.

Puhing just over 16mbps UP in Med Hat is awesome when needed! No one can compete with this, right now!

Baud1200
join:2003-02-10

Baud1200 to Ikarasu

to Ikarasu
Shaw Phase II

Shaw Phase III