train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to egeek84

Re: Looking over my recent usage, im using more

if you're looking for the "real" reason, you most likely will never get an official response that makes sense.... it used to be congestion, but since that's been debunked, who knows.... conspiratorially, i'd say it has something to do with online video streaming's popularity in conjunction with the vested interest Comcast has in running a cable TV network. From a technical perspective, internet infrastructure is a fixed intial cost followed by infreqeunt change-outs in hardware (as in, once every 10 years or so for a typical CMTS, so i'm told), even if there is congestion, so..... it's anyone's guess.

A few months ago, I actually asked a tech support person about this very thing. His response was that Comcast was "a cable company first, an internet company last." Verbatim.

As regards to what to do about it, you should look into their Business class service. If you don't mind a bit of a speed drop, you most likely can pay the same as you are now, and all business class accounts have no cap As well, it seems like reliability is quite improved over the residential-class, plus you get 24/7 phone support, which is sometimes nice at 5:05PM on a Friday.

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by train_wreck:

As regards to what to do about it, you should look into their Business class service. If you don't mind a bit of a speed drop, you most likely can pay the same as you are now, and all business class accounts have no cap As well, it seems like reliability is quite improved over the residential-class, plus you get 24/7 phone support, which is sometimes nice at 5:05PM on a Friday.

The only reason I would suggest anyone to use Business Class is if they reintroduced caps on Residential. Business isn't any more reliable as the Residential since it uses the same infrastructure. My two years of experience with Business support wasn't that great either; two years ago they seemed relatively competent, but today I feel like I'm talking with Residential Support.

I had one incident where the rep didn't bother looking at the node and what was going on with the other modems. The earliest appointment was four days out. When the tech arrived, he informed me that this problem was going on with everyone connected to the node and had the tech on the phone bothered to look, they could have gotten the right person out sooner. He couldn't fix the problem because that was a different crew/department. So more down time.

Getting Business Class, lets not fluff the cost. For the full price (not promo price) of Residential, you get half the speed. In the least, you can lock in a price for the term of the contract, but when it auto-renews, the price can go up. Anyone getting Business Class, I recommend trying to get them to just rent you a basic modem and not a modem-gateway. They may not give you an option and that's fine. Once service is running on their PoS SMC gateway, put your own modem and separate router in its place and do the walled garden setup. Drop that PoS SMC off at their office and get a receipt; hold onto that thing like it's gold.

EDIT: I did forget to mention, that for now you still have to use their gateway if you need Static IPs. My router updates my Dynamic DNS service so I really don't have a need for static for my purposes. Thanks to EG and train_wreck for the correction.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 recommendation

said by noc007:

Once service is running on their PoS SMC gateway, put your own modem and separate router in its place and do the walled garden setup. Drop that PoS SMC off at their office and get a receipt; hold onto that thing like it's gold.

One caveat. You MUST use their supplied gateway device if you have static IP's assigned from them.

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to noc007
said by noc007:

The only reason I would suggest anyone to use Business Class is if they reintroduced caps on Residential.

not sure what you mean, "reintroduced"... I live in nashville, comcast started charging for over-cap residential usage over a year ago and hasn't looked back....

said by noc007:

Drop that PoS SMC off at their office and get a receipt; hold onto that thing like it's gold.

wish I could. i have a static, and so am forced to use it. the salesman i dealt with when I signed up told me that they were planning on dropping that requirement soon, but that was probably BS.

noc007

Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by train_wreck:

not sure what you mean, "reintroduced"... I live in nashville, comcast started charging for over-cap residential usage over a year ago and hasn't looked back....

The correct thing I should have said is reintroduced to markets where they removed the caps. You got thrown under the bus by being in one of their "test markets".

said by train_wreck:

wish I could. i have a static, and so am forced to use it. the salesman i dealt with when I signed up told me that they were planning on dropping that requirement soon, but that was probably BS.

Forgot to put that into my post as well. I doubt they'll let people with statics run their own modems; sales reps will say almost anything to get you to sign. If you can work with a domain name instead of hard coding a static IP, I haven't had a problem with Dynamic DNS services out there. I'm currently using Hurrican Electric for my domain's DNS and they support DDNS updates. Still, my IP hasn't changed since I dropped the SMC; as long as the modem and router are up for the DHCP renewal, it gets the same IP.

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by noc007:

The correct thing I should have said is reintroduced to markets where they removed the caps. You got thrown under the bus by being in one of their "test markets".

Figures.

said by noc007:

Forgot to put that into my post as well. I doubt they'll let people with statics run their own modems; sales reps will say almost anything to get you to sign. If you can work with a domain name instead of hard coding a static IP, I haven't had a problem with Dynamic DNS services out there. I'm currently using Hurrican Electric for my domain's DNS and they support DDNS updates. Still, my IP hasn't changed since I dropped the SMC; as long as the modem and router are up for the DHCP renewal, it gets the same IP.

Yeah ive thought about dynamic dns.... I just didn't want to be beholden to some service. I thought about writing a linux bash script that would login to my DNS provider and change the IP itself.... Actually, since you use dynamic DNS, i'll ask, about how long is the interval between when your IP changes and when the DNS gets updated?.... because i've heard varying reports of seconds to hours... I run a mail server here, so an hour+ of my clients (~20 total) not being able to access my server would be no bueno

btw, this threads kinda gone off the rails..

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by train_wreck:

Yeah ive thought about dynamic dns.... I just didn't want to be beholden to some service. I thought about writing a linux bash script that would login to my DNS provider and change the IP itself.... Actually, since you use dynamic DNS, i'll ask, about how long is the interval between when your IP changes and when the DNS gets updated?.... because i've heard varying reports of seconds to hours... I run a mail server here, so an hour+ of my clients (~20 total) not being able to access my server would be no bueno

FWIW, I have a dynamic IP business class account, and I use Namecheap as my domain registrar and external DNS provider. Their DNS service has integral IPv4 DDNS support (IPv6 DDNS is not currently supported internally). For my Linux server I use a cron script using lynx that synchronizes the dynamic DNS for several different domains every 15 minutes (but if I wanted it more often, it would not be a problem). For my Windows server I use their Windows DDNS client which has a minimum 15 minute resync time (but I suspect that could be shortened by just manually editing its XML config file).

However, as has been said already, if you don't change your router or it's WAN MAC address (or your server NIC if directly connected), chances are that the IP address(es) used by your router/server(s) won't change very often (if at all).

Since you run a mail server, there may be a price to be paid for changing to a dynamic IP address (even if it doesn't change). That price is that you will probably have to use Comcast's SMTP server as a smarthost instead of sending email directly, because many email servers will black list dynamic IP addresses. Also, you might need to change your SPF records if you are currently use A record entries in your SPF record.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

noc007

Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

Actually, since you use dynamic DNS, i'll ask, about how long is the interval between when your IP changes and when the DNS gets updated?.... because i've heard varying reports of seconds to hours... I run a mail server here, so an hour+ of my clients (~20 total) not being able to access my server would be no bueno

The TTL for the records is five minutes. I run pfSense as my router for now and it looks like it updates the record if the address changes. I am having problems keeping IPv6 functioning properly for more than a few days, but it is able to update HE with the IPv6 address if it changes; I haven't paid attention to the address so I really don'tknow if it has ever changed. My IPv4 address doesn't change hardly ever. Like NetFixer mentioned, either a MAC address change or everything being off when the DHCP lease expires is when one would probably have an address change. I've run years on the same dynamic address without a change and hadn't really bothered with DDNS until recently.

said by NetFixer:

Since you run a mail server, there may be a price to be paid for changing to a dynamic IP address (even if it doesn't change). That price is that you will probably have to use Comcast's SMTP server as a smarthost instead of sending email directly, because many email servers will black list dynamic IP addresses. Also, you might need to change your SPF records if you are currently use A record entries in your SPF record.

This is a really good point.

If you're cleaver enough, you may be able to write something to keep the SPF record updated. Depending on the DDNS provider, it may not be hard to update it. Since you've got a static address, they should be able to put the SMC in Bridge mode if it's not done already and allow you to run your own firewall without a nested NAT. Depending on your budget and situation, it may be beneficial to run the mail server on a VPS instead. The cost of the static address and modem rental may be more than a VPS from a quality provider.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by noc007:

If you're cleaver enough, you may be able to write something to keep the SPF record updated. Depending on the DDNS provider, it may not be hard to update it.

Actually, I was talking about not using an A record reference at all in the SPF record since there would be no point anyway if you were sending email through Comcast's SMTP server instead of directly from your local server.

Here are the SPF records for my Linux and Windows servers (which use Comcast's SMTP server as a smarthost):

C:\>dig -ttxt webhost.dcs-net.net

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2 <<>> -ttxt webhost.dcs-net.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 64830
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1280
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;webhost.dcs-net.net.           IN      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
webhost.dcs-net.net.    1717    IN      TXT     "v=spf1 include:comcast.net ~all"

;; Query time: 46 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.9.2#53(192.168.9.2)
;; WHEN: Mon Oct 07 22:51:14 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 92

C:\>dig -ttxt dcs-srv.dcs-net.net

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2 <<>> -ttxt dcs-srv.dcs-net.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 18491
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1280
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;dcs-srv.dcs-net.net.           IN      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
dcs-srv.dcs-net.net.    1800    IN      TXT     "v=spf1 include:comcast.net ~all"

;; Query time: 93 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.9.2#53(192.168.9.2)
;; WHEN: Mon Oct 07 22:51:38 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 92

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

egkenny

join:2001-04-23
Huntsville, AL

1 edit
reply to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

Huntsville is getting the 300GB caps in November. Going over the caps cost $10/50GB.
They do allow you to go over the cap 3 times per 12 month period without charging you extra.

Have you heard of anyone going over the cap in Nashville? Were they charged the overage fee?

BTW, wasn't reintroducing the caps supposed to be a trial? Is the trial over now with the caps now permanent?

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by egkenny:

Huntsville is getting the 300GB caps in November. Going over the caps cost $10/50GB.
They do allow you to go over the cap 3 times per 12 month period without charging you extra.

Have you heard of anyone going over the cap in Nashville? Were they charged the overage fee?

BTW, wasn't reintroducing the caps supposed to be a trial? Is the trial over now with the caps now permanent?

yes - i went over the cap for the first 3 months of the initial trial, back in fall 2012. i got emails and, eventually, an actual phone call from a human rep telling me i'd gone over the cap. In the 4th month, i got charged an extra $50. I switched to business class in January 2013, but a friend of mine said he went over ~2 months ago and got an email about it, so i think the caps are here to stay..

egkenny

join:2001-04-23
Huntsville, AL

2 edits
said by train_wreck:

yes - i went over the cap for the first 3 months of the initial trial, back in fall 2012. i got emails and, eventually, an actual phone call from a human rep telling me i'd gone over the cap. In the 4th month, i got charged an extra $50. I switched to business class in January 2013, but a friend of mine said he went over ~2 months ago and got an email about it, so i think the caps are here to stay..

It is strange that the information for Business Class clearly implies that it is meant for small and medium size businesses. Does the sales rep ask or even care if the customer is business or residential?

One evening last week I was browsing the information about Business Class internet. When I clicked the next button to see what the rates were I only got a message that stated a sales rep would call me. The first thing the next morning a sales rep did call. We were probably both annoyed when I had to explain I was only browsing their web site.