Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rdsteele

join:2005-02-13
Campbellsburg, KY
reply to rdsteele

Re: [Pricing] 4G LTE Billing for usage seems high

Nacraman, I have several customers that have switched from other broadband services that are complaining of the same problem. Their usage of the system in their small home based business is the same but their reported GB usage is at least double their usage on their older connection systems. It strikes me as quite odd that no one else has noticed this billing discrepancy. Also, I am getting complaints from iPhone users about having to turn everything off to not exceed their 2GB allowance within the first 1 to 2 weeks. The usage reporting and billing system seems to erroneously count GB usage.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

Or it could be what I've been maintaining for several months, that the complexity, graphics richness and embedded multimedia features of modern web sites have exploded exponentially, leading to far higher amounts of data being downloaded on an everyday basis by normal usage than used to be the case, a change that is "invisible" to most users if they haven't changed their normal surfing habits. I certainly saw such an increase in my monthly usage over the past year, even though I really had not changed my Internet habits that much.

A very good example is Youtube, where clips are now routinely posted that run at a variety of HD speeds. In fact, in addition to the two that have become standard, 720 and 1080, I even saw a clip the other day with a 4k option. It wouldn't surprise me if an in-depth analysis were to demonstrate that Youtube is a significant factor leading to increased average monthly usage.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rdsteele

said by rdsteele:

Nacraman, I have several customers that have switched from other broadband services that are complaining of the same problem. Their usage of the system in their small home based business is the same but their reported GB usage is at least double their usage on their older connection systems. It strikes me as quite odd that no one else has noticed this billing discrepancy. Also, I am getting complaints from iPhone users about having to turn everything off to not exceed their 2GB allowance within the first 1 to 2 weeks. The usage reporting and billing system seems to erroneously count GB usage.

If you have Sprint service although they are crap and I would never consider them no matter what.

Why not get Clear? it has unlimited usage and runs through sprint even if you only get 3G..

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

Clear no longer offers service ... they were acquired by Sprint
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit

To the best of my recollection, here's what Clear just told me about that.

They no longer sell new devices. However if one possesses a Clear-approved device, they still sell unlimited data plans that access their WiMax, provided the device one has is free and clear (p.i.!), and is not attached to an existing account and/or does not have any other jurisdictional problem associated with it (by which they mean, I would guess, a delinquent account).

There are two such approved devices, the Clear Hub Express and the Motorola modem. The latter Motorola designation/description was so vague that I asked for a model number but they could not provide it.

So I asked him directly about buying one of those devices used from eBay and they said that would be perfectly okay, provided there were none of the problems associated with it described in the above paragraph. If there were no problems, they told me, then all one had to do was to furnish them with what they termed the Mac ID for the device and one would be good to go.

While (as far as I could find) they no longer list plans on their own Clear.com web site , they still offer two plans for those folks who have one of the two devices listed above, according to this sales rep: One is a slower connection for $39.99 and the other is a faster-speed connection for 54.99.

Keep in mind that I am not a Clear customer, and have no history with them. There may be subtleties or ins and outs of their service which may materially alter the meaning of my understanding of the above; but that is certainly the information they conveyed, as far as I could tell.

And no, I did not bother looking up prices on on eBay for these two devices, since I find myself too often in a WiMax-less environment for this option to be of much use to me.

In addition, as some here may know, neither of those two devices can handle LTE. Under the circumstances, I've personally concluded that it is unlikely that there will ever be any Clear-approved LTE-capable device, which means that one will probably not be able, in the near future, to purchase an unlimited LTE plan through Clear, either with a new or a used device.

The bottom line: If anyone is lucky enough to have good WiMax in all the locations where one regularly finds oneself with one's laptop or other mobile web-connecting device, then this strikes me as a good deal. But if WiMax is not reliably available in all of one's frequently used locations, then fuggedaboutit.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

Clear is dead ..get over it

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1

The web site seems to back up what Jim is saying , But also what Criggs is saying if you own a device

»www.clear.com/