share rss forum feed

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

[Satellite] DirecTV vs Dish?

Sorry if this has been asked many times, but I didn't see a recent topic on it.

I want to drop my cable TV and go with either DirecTV or Dish. I just need opinions, facts or whatever in helping me decide.

Thanks!
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

[Satellite] Re: DirecTV vs Dish?

If you want to see every NFL game on earth then DTV.

Otherwise its pretty much a draw depending on your interests and how they fall into various packages..

DISH tries to stay a little cheaper, but the difference is really that great anymore, and both are better than most cable.

Then again one or the other might have a better intro deal at the moment but they all go away in a year maybe 2 and both require a 2 year comitment.
--

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

1 recommendation

agreed. Both are better than cable. Direct TV is better for sports

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

I do not like the sneaky nonsense Dish Network does when you are trying to get accurate pricing for the different packages. DirecTV to me is more upfront about cost issues in my view. If you are into international channels Dish has a better selection.

bmetelsky
Premium
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH
Reviews:
·Dish Network
·DIRECTV

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

I had Directv and now DISH. I liked Directv but moved to DISH after a couple of years because I was interested in lowering the cost and also trying out "The Hopper". I like the equipment that DISH provides better than the equipment that Directv provided me at the time. It is more responsive overall. I know that my DISH bill will go up after the promotional period is up, just like with Directv. I really see no difference in programming or quality of picture.

iowaboy
Premium
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
Reviews:
·Windstream
·WildBlue

1 recommendation

I have had Directv and now Dish. besides the price, which Directv has come down in price, I would hardly if ever lose signal in a storm. But with Dish any small rain shower will make me lose signal. As far as programing I have everything I had with Directv. Quite frankly both seem to be cheaper in price than cable. At least compared to cable here.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

Just take afew minutes and price each one out and you will find they are very similar till it comes to regional sports when Directv's price will win out when comparing apples to apples as Dish does not carry many Regional Sports networks in major cities.

BTW Directv also offers a $200 discount ($10 over 20mos) for AAA members and if you subtract the yearly fee you still end up plus $70. Just google it and you will find a link.

dtgoodtonid

join:2005-01-16
Lexington, KY

1 recommendation

said by bohratom:

Dish does not carry many Regional Sports networks in major cities.

I'm not sure where this comes from. While I am waiting for Dish to get things squared away with Disney/ESPN, other than DTV's NFL package, Dish does very well with sports. I can watch the Pac12 Net, Big 10 Net, NFL Redzone- I almost prefer this option over watching 1 game, too many regional sports networks to list, PPV sports, alternate channels when a game is blacked out, NHL, NBA, MLB network, too many, IMHO, soccer channels, ....

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Dish Network is horrible when it comes to sports. They carry absolutely no NYC RSNs, which means not only is the the largest media market shut out, but the third largest state in the Union is. No MSG, no MSG Plus, no YES, no SNY. That translates into no NY Rangers, NY Islanders, Buffalo Sabres, NJ Devils, NY Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, NY Yankees, NY Mets or NY Red Bulls. Dish also does not carry the new TWSN for the LA Lakers and LA Galaxy and when the Dodgers go, they probably won't carry them either. Dish also does not carry the MLB Extra Innings package, they only carry Fox Soccer Plus in SD, which is a shame considering they change $15 for the channel, no ESPN U HD, it took them forever to get MLB Network, I don't believe they carry the Braves games that now air on Fox Sports South and Big Ten Network barley made it back to the line up.

So lets recap. no Yankees or Lakers which are the premier franchises in their respective leagues and also in the two largest markets. No other NYC sports, losing LA sports, and while here in Buffalo we are a small market, we are a die hard NHL market and Sabres games pull in the highest ratings of any US based NHL team.
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal Obamacare Now!

The_ANoN

@charter.com

1 recommendation

Yeah I also just recently switched from Direct to Dish.. Signal reliability is about the same, Directv might have the slight edge... Picture quality is about the same.. I like Dish customer service better and the equipment. Dish gives you a hopper with sling built-in.. the sling enables you to watch any live channel in your package over the internet on PC, tablet, or phone (if your internet and/or satellite signal go out, this will not work) Of course you could get the sling device separately with another provider but Dish has it built in. The Hopper is also very responsive.. Much better than the DVRs DirecTV provided..

So for me, Dish has the better equipment, customer service and price..

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

I like DirecTV much better than Dish. Better customer service and they are more up front on terms and conditions.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9
reply to Johkal

Thanks to everyone so far for all your input. I guess it will just come down to who has the best deal at the time.

Question: Do these companies give you additional discounts after your promo is done if you tell them you are considering going to the competition or switching back to cable?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

And one last note, I have both Comcast and DirecTV hooked up to the bedroom tv (since I get a better rate on Comcast HSI for having bare bones cable) so I can compare the services side to side on the same tv. I have the CC coming in through a TiVo and the DTV coming in through a soon to be upgraded C31 Genie "client" and the picture quality on DirecTV is MUCH better.

I know you are moving from Comcast as you are pretty active in the CC forums. I just thought I would give you my two cents for your decision to cut the cord and go to dish or directv.

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
reply to Johkal

Telling them you are going back to an outdated hybrid fiber coaxial cable system will probably get you thunderous laughter and a big good luck and good bye. If you are lucky enough to be in a functional FTTH area, then they might be less flippant. Telling them you are going over to the most evil sinister organization in existence, the other satellite company, might get you the elimination of the monthly fee on one of your 3 to 6 receiver set top boxes. Less than 3 set tops? Probably you get nothing. Discounts on content are a big no no from what I have heard.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

We have had both and DirecTV has much better picture quality, receivers, and customer service. Dish also seemed to go out in bad weather a lot more often the DirecTV does.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

Thanks to everyone so far for all your input. I guess it will just come down to who has the best deal at the time.

Question: Do these companies give you additional discounts after your promo is done if you tell them you are considering going to the competition or switching back to cable?

We have received them with DirecTV before.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

DISH Network and their third-party advertisers are shady ... to say the least.

»consumerist.com/2012/08/28/misle···-agents/

Papakid

join:2013-10-15
Morrilton, AR

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

Very little difference that I can see. I like DTV's Guide much better. Just personal preference but the second tier package seems to be slightly better at DTV--a couple of higher quality channels (Nat Geo and Hallmark) are included at DTV but not Dish. So you may pay a little bit more for DTV but you get just a little bit more quality programming.

I've had some bad experiences with PPV special events with DTV, which were either incompetence or outright dishonesty to get a few extra bucks out of people. I expect Dish is pretty much the same, I have only been exposed to them at other people's houses, but they both strike me as greedy and some times somewhat shady.

The_ANoN

@charter.com

1 recommendation

Ive had DirecTV twice...and both times had issues with them.. Im with Dish (its been 4 months) and have had no issues so far... They even gave me another 3 free months of premium movie channels.. But again I havent been with them very long.. Directv's guide does LOOK better..it looks a lot cleaner and more modern.. But I found Dish's to be more user friendly..thats all my input.. Good luck with your choice!

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
reply to Johkal

1. Don't get Time Warner Cable, they suck. 2. Dish is usually cheaper then Directv, and now they have an offer where you can take $20 off a month for 12 months or get an Ipad2 for free, your choice. 3. Usually with Dish they have availabilty the next day to do an install, where Directv usually will be a minimum of 2 days. 4. For both Dish and Directv, don't be suckered into the "you will not lose signal". It's a satellite dish, and weather does affect the dish. Picture quality, Directv beats Dish, but Dish is the best value for the money.
--
No Victim=No Crime

number2

join:2009-01-22
Ogden, UT
reply to Johkal

Re: [Satellite] DirecTV vs Dish?

I signed up with Dish almost a year ago and have to say I'm impressed with the Equipment, installation, customer service and never any signal problems. Billing layout & subscriptions are all available online and is clear on what I am paying for and what I will be paying once my promotion rates are gone. Love the Hopper!

My mother signed up for DirecTV a few months ago and shes just about ready to cancel her contract. It took 3 phone calls and two months to get her billing correct. The receiver they gave her is as slow as tar. The guide is full of glitches. The biggest complaint I have and don't understand is that they do not broadcast local channels in HD. Only in 480p.

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA

I think the FCC only requires the satellite companies to transmit a 4:3 format. If you look up the ATSC standards you can find a 16:9 format for 480p. It is not normally used, but it is available. I think the FCC figured that content requiring 16:9 could be handled that way. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_T···tandards

number2

Ogden, UT

That's great that Directv is doing the minimum FCC requirements. With everyone marketing on giving the best HD experience, you'd think getting the local channels in HD was a given.

number2

Ogden, UT
reply to Johkal

I've never used the Genie so I don't know how the two compare but here is what I like most about the Hopper

The beautiful remote!!!: RF communication, Remote finder, remote battery monitoring, Onscreen universal remote programming, the recall button to recall the last 4 channels or DVR recordings.

Everything else: Up-convert SD channels to a preset resolution so you don't have the annoying pause from your TV whenever the resolution changes when your channel surfing, Local channels are listed as the actual channel #'s. SD duplicates of HD channels are removable, Split screen Picture in Picture.

The few things that I don't like

The noisy hard drive that never turns off. Even while the system is inactive, The slow USB Sling adapter can only provide choppy video for the Dish Anywhere service.
The Hopper seems to have enough pep to surf around comfortably but when Prime-time-Anytime is running & one other tuner recording, things seem to bog down a bit and could use some more power.

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
reply to number2

The most important thing about local channels was the access to national network programming. Those are the shows that the satellite companies think is worth transmitting in HD. Transmitting the local news show in HD was not considered profitable. Also many local broadcast station owners were hostile to the requirement to develop local HD content. The satellite companies had tried to establish a direct relationship with the traditional national Over The Air(OTA) networks such as ABC, CBS, and NBC. This would have allowed them to get the truly nationally popular content without dealing with the local broadcast station owners and local content. That approach failed due to protests from local OTA broadcast stations and demands from subscribers for easier access to local OTA broadcast stations. The solution is a least common denominator compromise. When the next generation of satellites is operational there should be enough spot beam and throughput capacity to easily handle all the local OTA multi-casts and OTA HD broadcasts in the continental USA. I think at that point you will see transmission of OTA local HD content.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Johkal

My friend has Directv and loves it