tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol

Re: Looking over my recent usage, im using more

The percentage of net earnings not paid out as dividends, but retained by the company to be reinvested in its core business or to pay debt.

Start with the basics
»www.investopedia.com/ter ··· ings.asp

It's already being reinvested so they can't spend it again.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

You're not understanding basic financial statements.. At all.

The $17 billion is still there to be spent. Can be used for upgrading the network.

I'm not sure what you are confused about.
Alcohol

Alcohol to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

It's already being reinvested so they can't spend it again.

No...

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Perhaps you forgot about this,
»blogs.wsj.com/deals/2013 ··· g-night/
something that in ComCast Managements judgment added value to the company, something shareholders agree with.
I think the problem is you mistakenly believe the company and it's investors are there just to benefit YOU (a customer) while in reality the company is there to benefit the owners and investors while selling you a service. at a profit.
that cash or cash equivalient or investment in other items to benefit of the shareholders IS NOT YOURS even if some of it came from fees you paid.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

I make no mistake believing a corporation's goal is anything other than maximizing shareholder value.
Upgrading the infrastructure has a direct link to that. Comcast is one of the most hated companies in the world. There isn't a single person that wouldn't switch if there were better options available (fios, google fiber..) so it's in the best interest of comcast to use it's retained earnings to improve its services before there are other options available.

Having a cap is the worst thing comcast can do but they will get away with it until the monopoly is there. But that monopoly will end as barriers to entry are reduced.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Alcohol:

Upgrading the infrastructure has a direct link to that.

And they are, just not the way YOU want, but everyone saw what happened when Verizon choose to overbuild there own plant with fiber, good for a few consumers (until the price hikes kick in) but near disaster for the company. (it isn't over yet , but more fiber isn't happening there)
said by Alcohol:

Comcast is one of the most hated companies in the world.

So you keep saying. The big guys are always a big target. Does loving Google some how make your internet work better? or make it cheaper?
I'm pretty happy with comcast because they came in to my area where TCI and AT7T failed and rebuilt the plant from scratch, and continue to upgrade year after year with faster offerings while verizion FAILED to finish the promised FIOS build out, dumped us to frontier who is marginally capable of keep POTS working let alone faster DSL or fiber.
So I don't hate comcast and I'm pretty sure if they are honest a lot of people would be happy that Cable offers advanced service over a huge portion of the country where NO OTHER PROVIDER does.
said by Alcohol:

There isn't a single person that wouldn't switch if there were better options available

If BP started selling gas for half of what exxon charges, or grocery chain A offered you BETTER meat for less than B charges.
Of course people will change where there is some clear advantage to them, but as Verizon noticed, quite a few people saw no clear advantage and they continue to experience a higher than expected churn rate in fios areas.
Low take rate +high churn = not nirvana.

mike34
Premium Member
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
Netgear CM500V
Asus RT-AC68

mike34 to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

There isn't a single person that wouldn't switch if there were better options available

These cap threads always produce some real pearls, don't they?
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
You would be wrong about not a single person wouldnt change. I for one have fios available and stay with comcast. At least until they have one more rate increase that is. Judging by most of my neighbors. Im not alone.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

1 edit

Alcohol

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

You would be wrong about not a single person wouldnt change. I for one have fios available and stay with comcast. At least until they have one more rate increase that is. Judging by most of my neighbors. Im not alone.

Enjoy your inferior service. I don't know a single person that chooses cable over fios. But i guess i underestimated the noobs.
Alcohol

Alcohol to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

said by Alcohol:

Upgrading the infrastructure has a direct link to that.

And they are, just not the way YOU want, but everyone saw what happened when Verizon choose to overbuild there own plant with fiber, good for a few consumers (until the price hikes kick in) but near disaster for the company. (it isn't over yet , but more fiber isn't happening there)
said by Alcohol:

Comcast is one of the most hated companies in the world.

So you keep saying. The big guys are always a big target. Does loving Google some how make your internet work better? or make it cheaper?
I'm pretty happy with comcast because they came in to my area where TCI and AT7T failed and rebuilt the plant from scratch, and continue to upgrade year after year with faster offerings while verizion FAILED to finish the promised FIOS build out, dumped us to frontier who is marginally capable of keep POTS working let alone faster DSL or fiber.
So I don't hate comcast and I'm pretty sure if they are honest a lot of people would be happy that Cable offers advanced service over a huge portion of the country where NO OTHER PROVIDER does.
said by Alcohol:

If BP started selling gas for half of what exxon charges, or grocery chain A offered you BETTER meat for less than B charges.
Of course people will change where there is some clear advantage to them, but as Verizon noticed, quite a few people saw no clear advantage and they continue to experience a higher than expected churn rate in fios areas.
Low take rate +high churn = not nirvana.

Good thing i wasn't talking about verizon fios then.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
Again i am the majority, Fios has a 24 percent penetration rate in this county. I dont really know what comcasts is but its at least 50 percent penetration rate.
biomesh
Premium Member
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

biomesh to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Good thing i wasn't talking about verizon fios then.

FiOS is Verizon. If you are referring to ftth that is totally different as it could mean any number of other providers.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Again i am the majority, Fios has a 24 percent penetration rate in this county. I dont really know what comcasts is but its at least 50 percent penetration rate.

Yes because most people choose comcast before fios was available and are unwilling to change or are simply unaware of the superiority.

Not sure if fios is more expensive but that will also be a criteria for most. Technology wise there is no doubt, fios is superior. Service is also superior because of better speeds with no caps.

Regardless, most tech savvy people will choose fiber (fios, google fiber, new startups..) when it's available as it's the better option.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

Its priced pretty close on the video side, Fios is more expensive for internet and phone tho. Comcast is pretty dam good around here. On par with fios. As far as people only having it because they already had comcast i guess you missed karls front page story of how many people have abandoned ONTS on the side of there house. That my friend would be thanks to people changing away from fios. If you want to talk superior fiber than i would just take comcast and run the metro E fiber which is also available from comcast. That my friend will blow fios out of the water. Again tho i want a reasonable speed at a reasonable price. As of now i have that with comcast.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to Alcohol

MVM

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

said by rody_44:

Enjoy your inferior service. I don't know a single person that chooses cable over fios. But i guess i underestimated the noobs.

I have also stayed with Comcast over FIOS. I was in TV/Film production for over 10 years, and I am now in IT. Not a noob, just a smart consumer. Every time my promo expires, I call and tell them I'm thinking of switching to FIOS, and bang- promo extended.