Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

7 recommendations

Just saying HI!

Hi everyone!
Obviously I haven't been participating much around here lately. I actually haven't spent much time anywhere on this sight most ofd the summer, though I have done a lot of "drive-bys" just not posting. Mostly because this has been one heck of a busy summer with my new job. And as for this particular forum, since I was forced to quit folding on my PS3 when Sony stopped supporting the software for F@H, I feel hippocratic playing in your playground without contributing!
Anyway, the good news is that because I worked so hard this summer. I was able to make a lot of money, got caught of on bills, prepaid some bills for the winter, and even save a little money too! I end my job for the winter next week, and once again will be unemployed. But this winter will be a lot better then last year in that 1) I planed ahead and prepaid major bills through most of the winter already. 2) My unemployment will be much higher per week so it be so hard on my budget. Last winter was a disaster and I don't need a repeat!

When things finally settle down, I am going to build myself a new PC. I could buy one, but I want to build it... it will give me something to do for awhile and not to mention it will be satisfying to me to get it working and say "I built that!" I am going to try and build one that will be a pretty decent folder, at least as good as the PS3 was at it. I was getting about 800-1000 points per day from that and I would like to at least match that anyway. I am also not likely to use it for much of anything except folding.... i like my iMac too much. (Yes I know I can fold on this iMac but I am not personally comfortable dong that with this machine.)

Well as I said. I just wanted to say hi to you all and please, feel free to give me hardware suggestions for the new PC!

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
kudos:1
Hi. Long time to see. Glad you're doing good and had a good summer on the job. Here's to seeing you around again..
--
You don't quit playing 'cause you're OLD. You're old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
kudos:5
reply to Dominokat
Hi! Glad to see you posting! I hope you enjoy your down time during the winter.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to Dominokat
As I said, I pledge myself for some of your help in building a system. And don't forget that both newegg and tigerdirect sell barebones and build kits, that is what my BIL does, it's easier for some people.

Haswell is out, it's the current generation for the Core i Processors. If you are planning on doing this, start visiting, even lurking, the hardware discussion/review forum.

»www.newegg.com/DIY-PC-SuperCombo···perCombo
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
Hey Kat!

No reason you can't hang around here and play as much as you like! Once you're in the 'family' you're in it for life.

Don't be a stranger this winter, come on by and sit a spell!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

4 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
Wow, we're just so proud to know you! Excellent work and financial management!

However ... frowning at you ... when you say "your playground," you misspeak. Helix is "ours" and ours is everyone who ever folded with this team, which includes you.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by sortofageek:

Wow, we're just so proud to know you! Excellent work and financial management!

However ... frowning at you ... when you say "your playground," you misspeak. Helix is "ours" and ours is everyone who ever folded with this team, which includes you.

Perhaps I should have said "the" playground. But either way, thank you!

I have always had fun with everyone here. A very friendly, fun, concerned, and helpful bunch of folks here.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to Dominokat
»www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund···.1307672

That's a pretty nice kit. Basically everying but speakers, keyboard, mouse, monitor, all of which you probably already have? There's cheaper too, but that one is pretty nice.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Thats definitely in the price range. I have a keyboard and a mouse, but no monitor.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Fortunately, monitors have become really affordable, even PVA and IPS monitors (the screens have truer colors and darker blacks) are affordable now.

Here's a type of IPS: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···24116581

TNs are cheaper and what most people use, but blacks aren't AS black and colors aren't quite as vibrant, and viewing angles aren't quite as good.

A 22, 23, 24 inche monitor is generally good for most general uses. Check monitors for types of connectivity (VGA, DVI-*, HDMI, Display Port...) and for native resolution (the only res you want to run in).

LCDs are illuminated by either CFLs or LEDs, Often, LED illumination is a little better.

L
--

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ
said by Dominokat:

I am also not likely to use it for much of anything except folding

Seems like a very basic monitor would be all that is required.
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Yes, and a TN panel is cheaper, but I won't the options show.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···24113034

Just remember, like a bed that you spend a third of you life in, the monitor you will be looking at frequently. I have TN monitors, and for me they are adequate, but for some folks, they aren't.
--

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to Dominokat
Wow ,,, it sure is good to have you posting here again. I will be looking forward to more.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

3 recommendations

reply to signmeuptoo
I may have taken a wrong turn somewhere!

»www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund···.1432275
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

said by sortofageek:

I may have taken a wrong turn somewhere!

»www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund···.1432275

And you're buying THAT for Dominokat See Profile????
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Gee thanks!
An early Christmas present!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to Santa Fe
No, but it should be noted that one is limited to only 5 per customer.

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ
Don't forget me Santa Sorto, I've been a good boy this year.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

I could never forget you, Howie. As Icky is fond of saying, "Just wait by the mailbox."

Icarus
Department Of Redundancy Department
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

3 recommendations

said by sortofageek:

I could never forget you, Howie. As Icky is fond of saying, "Just wait by the mailbox."

ITS A TRAP!!!!!
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Team Helix- Folding@Home and Rosetta@Home

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
Time for Publisher's Clearinghouse magic (like that will ever happen!)

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
Reviews:
·Mediacom

2 recommendations

reply to Icarus
said by Icarus:

said by sortofageek:

ITS A TRAP!!!!!

Awww........

You keep saying that!
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
A twap?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium