join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

[IPv6] No ipv6 but comcast6 reads It ready

Click for full size
Click for full size
Comcast6.net I reading Your CMTS is ready for IPv6. I have a Arris tm722g emta with a Asus RT65N router. On my router page it is showing a IPV6 address. If I go to Test-ipv6.com I get a 0-10 test run. I have posted some screen shots of the pages.
What could the problem with this?
--
Caddy

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

Re: No ipv6 but comcast6 reads It ready

Even though the EMTA and your router are ipv6 ready, your market area is probably not configured for it, yet.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
How does that explain that he has an IPv6 address on that router?

If the OP's PC is not configured for IPv6 then it will not get an IPv6 address and it will fail that test. The LAN prefix length of /48 is questionable.

Tr0utp0nD

join:2000-12-20
Clarks Summit, PA
reply to Caddyroger
2002::/16 is 6to4 address so its not properly pulling a comcast native IPV6.

Try setting it to disabled, reboot everything, then put it back to Native with PD

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to Caddyroger
try this page »comcast6.net/ up near the top it will show if the CMTS is IPv6 enabled.
I agree the 2002 is a 6to4 address, so not native Ipv6

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79
reply to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

PM me your public IPv4 address and I will look it up, but if Comcast6.net says your good then you should be.. I have people do a factory reset on the ASUS that seems to fix it most times.. But let me look at your IPv4 address first..
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by NetDog:

said by Caddyroger:

PM me your public IPv4 address and I will look it up, but if Comcast6.net says your good then you should be.. I have people do a factory reset on the ASUS that seems to fix it most times.. But let me look at your IPv4 address first..

Pm sent
--
Caddy

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
reply to NetDog
Is the system having problems? My area isn't IPv6 ready yet and Comcast6.net is saying "Your CMTS is ready for IPv6. Please check this website for modem support." yet just the other day it said the opposite

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
It can change overnight

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
we were just told last week by enterprise services ours wasn't scheduled for a while yet (we're getting fiber and a D3 backup modem in and wanted IPv6 but they said the CMTS wouldn't be D3 for a couple months yet) that's what I heard last about my area

vandergraff2

join:2005-10-17
Los Gatos, CA
What are you going to do for an IPv6 firewall.

I was ready to try IPv6 (evidently my area is ready) but stopped when I found out that my ASUS RT-N66U has no IPv6 firewall when using ASUS firmware. Yes I could update with the 'Merlin' firmware which has an IPv6 firewall configured by default - but frankly haven't had the time or desire to do this yet. As the saying goes if it is not broken.................

Do you know if your RT-N65U has an IPv6 firewall - probably not if the RT-N66U doesn't........

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

Pm sent

Yep your turned up for v6...
--

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to Caddyroger

Re: [IPv6] No ipv6 but comcast6 reads It ready

If comcast6.net says your CMTS is turned up then chances are your area is.. But I like to check very now and then, my code is normally stable ..
--

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Caddyroger
Thanks every one I finally got it working. Tr0utp0nD and Tshirt mention that 2002 is a 6to4 address. That helped me to see if any thing has changed. Netdog mention he had people to do factory reset on the Asus routers. That what did the trick. Getting to do a factory reset is another story. Took me about an 1/2 hr.
--
Caddy

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to Caddyroger
I submitted that bug to ASUS about the factory reset to get things working again.. I don't know where they are at with it..
--

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
There is a problem with it. I had to rest it again and it took me to us a paper clip to get it it done.
--
Caddy

vandergraff2

Los Gatos, CA
reply to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

Thanks every one I finally got it working. Tr0utp0nD and Tshirt mention that 2002 is a 6to4 address. That helped me to see if any thing has changed. Netdog mention he had people to do factory reset on the Asus routers. That what did the trick. Getting to do a factory reset is another story. Took me about an 1/2 hr.

Did you check if you have an IPv6 firewall with the RT-N65U?

As above the RT-N66U doesn't with the Asus firmware?

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
On the fire wall page it does not say if it ipv4 or ipv6 So I can not say any thing about it.
--
Caddy

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by Caddyroger:

On the fire wall page it does not say if it ipv4 or ipv6 So I can not say any thing about it.

If it does not say anything about having a configurable IPv6 firewall, that does not necessarily mean that the router does not just automatically do a "deny all" for all incoming IPv6 traffic (but many residential/soho grade routers do indeed leave connected IPv6 devices unprotected). If you want to see if you are exposed to the Internet via IPv6, try going to »nmapv6.packetsize.net/
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Expand your moderator at work

vandergraff2

Los Gatos, CA
reply to Caddyroger

Re: [IPv6] No ipv6 but comcast6 reads It ready

There are many reports on other forums about the stock Asus firmware not having an IPv6 firewall.

An example »forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showt···firewall

You can install Merlin firmware »www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···reviewed

Which in the latest version has an IPv6 firewall.

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by vandergraff2:

There are many reports on other forums about the stock Asus firmware not having an IPv6 firewall.

I have the RT N65U model. They do not have a n65u merlin firmware. I tried the N66t but it would not take.
--
Caddy

vandergraff2

Los Gatos, CA

1 edit
said by Caddyroger:

said by vandergraff2:

I have the RT N65U model. They do not have a n65u merlin firmware. I tried the N66t but it would not take.

I am not sure why Comcast is showing support for some Asus Routers (currently the RT-N66U) »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?homegateway

without explaining the lack of an IPv6 firewall.

Yes it looks like Merlin firmware is available for

RT-N16
RT-N66 (U and R)
RT-AC66 (U and R)
RT-AC56 (U and R)

Edit - I wouldn't try installing the Merlin firmware on non-supported routers - you could brick it.

Coelispex

join:2013-06-03
Wilmette, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Caddyroger
Hey guys. I also have a ASUS router and these issues comes up periodically.

The only way to fix these IPv6 issues is to

IPv6 tab > Disable > Apply. Wait a few minutes.

Then Native with HDCP-PD > Apply.

IPv6 comes back 10/10 on the tests. No need to flash the firmware or anything like that.

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Coelispex:

IPv6 comes back 10/10 on the tests. No need to flash the firmware or anything like that.

That was not working for me. I had to press the small reset button to get IPV6 to work. That is a different story about getting the reset to work.
--
Caddy

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to Coelispex
said by Coelispex:

Thanks I will need to remember this..
--

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to vandergraff2
said by vandergraff2:

Ok we all understand this at this point.. No need to keep posting the same thing over and over again.. Just saying..
--

vandergraff2

Los Gatos, CA

3 edits

1 recommendation

said by NetDog:

said by vandergraff2:

Ok we all understand this at this point.. No need to keep posting the same thing over and over again.. Just saying..

Do the people who go here »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?homegateway and select the Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight really understand if they enable IPv6 there is no IPv6 firewall?

I don't think so. I didn't until I did some research.

Now are you saying it is OK to enable IPv6 without a firewall on the router? If so I would be interested to know the reasoning. Maybe it is - but from what I have read maybe it isn't.

It is great to encourage people to start using IPv6 - but people should go into it with their eyes open.

You can tell me this is a non-issue and why and I will go away quietly.

Edit - I am not trying to be disrespectful. It seems you are involved with enabling the Comcast IPv6 roll out and many members give you Kudos (thanks). So your thoughts on this would definitely be appreciated. If I am making a mountain out of a molehill - let me know why and I will stop.

I am actually keen to try IPv6