[Electrical] Another back stab bit the dust

Click for full size
I had yet another back stab fail this weekend

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

Thanks for the pic. Did you take any in situ? I'm interested in the condition of the insulation over the conductors that were connected to this outlet. Since you've had more than one fail, do you have any intention of inspecting the rest of them (assuming this is your home and you own it).

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to DarkLogix

Probably worth the time and little money investment to go through the house and change them all out before one fails worse than that.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to pike

Well I had an electrician replace it as I had to go to work Saturday .
this is the last of 4 that were in my bed room.

And well the house is being sold next summer so...

So at 2:30am (just got home heated up some food turned on my computer and was going to eat then get on the computer a little before getting some sleep, I smelled some electrical burning smell looked around and didn't see anything (the outlet isn't exactly visible due to stuff in front) then I heard a load pop sound and looked at the outlet because that was the general location of the sound, and pointed a flashlight and saw smoke.

then I heard another pop and the power went out, I hit the power buttons on my UPS's and went outside to the breaker panel to turn off the breaker if it wasn't tripped already, well it was.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to DarkLogix

if you go to put a plug in an outlet, and it feels loose, this can happen. any loose outlets need to be changed immediately, they wear out, and give you a high resistance connection. backstab or not.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

the outlet was tight 5+ years ago when I plugged the single outlet surge suppressor in and screwed it down.

I'll get a pic of the directly connected device tonight
--
semper idem

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to DarkLogix

Receptacle Tension Tester
This Receptacle Tension Tester by Woodhead ensures there is proper tension on all your outlets.

It might not be the back stab connection but lost tension on the male plug by the receptacle plug.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Yeah, the fact that the scorching looks like it came out the front of the outlet does appear that the prong wasn't held tightly enough.

smoked

@myvzw.com
reply to DarkLogix

The contacts in those resi-grade receptacles are complete crap. Even when new many will barely hold a plug tightly. With some age, even a light load will cause heating and what little contact tension exists goes out the window ultimately causing meltdown or worse. Good thing this circuit wasn't protected by an FPE breaker or you'd probably be posting from a hotel room.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to DarkLogix

You should carefully check the plug that was plugged into the outlet as the prongs on it may be also damaged or at least need to be cleaned.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to DarkLogix

Don't fool with it, fix it. When you sell is moot. Safety today is the first and only project as it is a fire issue.

I bought an older home and discovered there was far more to r/r that I an anticipated. The first thing on the list was to install a larger electric panel and replace every wall socket and light switch in the house. The second was to add lighting where there was none. I've since replaced a couple of switches and three outlets that were new. They arced when I used them. I could hear a soft 'pop'. Of the outlets, one was not holding the plug securely. It was causing a breaker to fail.

Good luck to you.

--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Click for full size
Here's a pic of what was plugged in

Not plugged in now. I just have the cable that was next plugged directly
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Of the 4 so far atleast one failed with nothing plugged in.

If I had more time Saturday I would have gotten a hospital grade outlet

instead I just left an outlet from a contractor pack I had on the table for him to install. (to exhausted to diy at the time.)
--
semper idem

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

I had yet another back stab fail this weekend

How is the backstab connection relevant ?

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to DarkLogix

Are you sure the backstab failed and there wasn't a paperclip/other metal object between the hot and neutral that fell into the gap between a slightly pulled out plug and its socket?

It looks like you have a surge protector/splitter plugged in. Did a MOV fail and short to ground/neutral?

join:2013-07-08
MA
reply to DarkLogix

Bad outlets or something else happening but nothing to do with backstabbed.

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to DarkLogix

Show us a picture of the back of the receptacle.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to DarkLogix

looks like the surge suppressor device had the failure to me...

Darr247

join:2013-10-08
United State
reply to DarkLogix

Testimonials like this should convince people to add Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) protection in all their bedrooms without delay.

$35 to $45 for AFCI breakers at the big box home improvement stores (it's not much cheaper to use an AFCI 'first' outlet with remaining outlets on circuit daisy chained), though if you have the older Bulldog/ITE/Pushmatic breakers you would need to put in a sub panel (cheaper than replacing the entire service panel), in which case I recommend hiring an electrician.

MA

said by Darr247:

Testimonials like this should convince people to add Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) protection in all their bedrooms without delay.

Hasn't happened since 1960 so I'll pass. Thanks!

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to dosdoxies

Click for full size
said by dosdoxies:

Show us a picture of the back of the receptacle.

The thermal runaway can be in the male sometimes.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to DarkLogix

When I had a backstab issue, it was no power. The neutral or hot pops out the back.
And lucky it doesn't short n the back.
But this looks nothing like the backstab failures I had.

Hindsight for me was using the outlet tester and the initial push pull caused the failure of the backstab to pop out inside the outlet. Lost neutral on line.

From then on, I replaced all my outlets and secured side screw in, with white tape wrap over all ('cept ground).
--
Splat

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to DarkLogix

From the pictures, it look more like a neutral tension problem, but that's not conclusive with out a better examination.

I generally trust Leviton, but they too have troubles. When an addition was put on my house in the early to mid 70's they used Leviton outlets and 100% of them failed in 10 years due to poor contact tension. (well after the 4th one gave up the ghost I checked and replaced the rest all were not good) Their new product is back to trustworthy, I hope.

speedypetey

join:2011-12-10

said by SmokChsr:

From the pictures, it look more like a neutral tension problem, but that's not conclusive with out a better examination.

This!!

It was NOT a paper clip (lol), not a bad back-stab, and it was not the device plugged in.

Older receptacles, especially resi-grade ones, that get used a lot tend to lose tension in at the prongs. This is extremely common, especially in older homes.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by speedypetey:

Older receptacles, especially resi-grade ones, that get used a lot tend to lose tension in at the prongs. This is extremely common, especially in older homes.

I have an outside receptacle that is getting loose and have been meaning to change it out.

--
October is National Vegetarian Month

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19

said by Coma:

I have an outside receptacle that is getting loose and have been meaning to change it out.

Keep in mind, most receptacle replacements must now be tamper-resistant.
And there is an assinine new code coming in the 2014 NEC that will require AFCI protection for even a simple receptacle replacement.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by Speedy Petey:

And there is an assinine new code coming in the 2014 NEC that will require AFCI protection for even a simple receptacle replacement.

Then I should pickup the materials sooner then later.

--
October is National Vegetarian Month

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Speedy Petey

said by Speedy Petey:

said by Coma:

NFPA Tamper resistant electrical receptacles

Require it for simple receptacle replacement? Ha I have enough conventional receptacles on hand to last the rest of my life. I suspect many others also have some on hand.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Speedy Petey

said by Speedy Petey:

most receptacle replacements must now be tamper-resistant

I just bought a new GFCI and it wasn't labeled tamper-resistant, but when I looked at it, it was... I had bought some tamper-resistant (non-GFCI) outlets years ago when the kids were younger and hated them. They were a pain in the *ss even for me to plug things in.

MA
reply to DarkLogix

I'm in the process of replacing all the outlets in my house with TR outlets. I don't see what the big deal is with them. They slow me down for 1/2 a second more then the old plugs.