Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms

[DSL] Feedback Needed FTTN

I'm looking for some feedback on the consistency of the FTTN 50/10 and 25/10 packages with Start.

I'm currently with Bell and have been for 8 months, but my promo just ended.

Used to be $49.99 for 400GB @ 25/10, now it's $75 for 400GB @ 25/10 as you can see that's a huge price jump, basically I could be getting 50/10 with Start for less.

Feedback on how consistent these packages are with Start is what I'm looking for, as it stands I've had 100% guaranteed speeds 24/7 for 8 months with Bell. No hicks up, no congestion, nothing -- 25/10mbits 24/7, absolutely no issues and it has been an awesome ride.

The last time I tried Start, it was with Cogeco and the experience was terrible. With Cogeco I was getting 30/1.5 pretty consistently, but when I switched to Start I was getting 2/1.5 after 7PM - 2AM every night and they couldn't fix it. 30 seconds to 1 minute in order to open a webpage, I don't want to experience that again.
--
I love fish sticks. I love putting fish sticks in my mouth.

Shoey5

join:2013-03-29
I've been with Start.ca for 6+ years started on whatever DSL service was being offered at that time and gradually upgraded as new speeds became available. Currently on the 50/10 plan.

Can't speak to much on the 50/10 since it's fairly new but so far it's been great! Overall, their uptime over the years has been excellent, there have been a few hiccups over the years but they've always been resolved pretty quick. Worse outage I had was due to a faulty line card (not Starts fault) that had me down for about 3 or 4 days, throughout that outage, Start contacted me regularly and were pretty aggressive with Bell in getting me back up.

Beyond the up time and as I just touched on, I also find their customer service/support exceptional! I've converted a number of friends over to Start and they have also been very happy with the service.

One note on the friends I've converted over to Start, some have experienced various degrees of difficulty in getting ported over from BELL/Rogers to Start. Seems that Bell and Rogers tend to mess appointments, or cause other issues until the service is up and running. Start has been very helpful in those situations but I'm guessing it's a tactic to frustrate the user into returning. Of course, that's just speculation, they wouldn't really do that! Since you're already using FTTN, should be pretty easy for you though.

Also should point out that my speed has been very consistent at all times of the day.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to Gixxer
i had 45/4 cable with Start on Rogers and now have FTTN 50/10 and it's been rock solid. my latency overall is a bit lower than cable and I don't get the odd node congestion I used to get at peak time. I can always max out my VDSL2 at 50Mbit/sec.

as for stability, once I properly bridged the Sagemcom and got a newer router I was able to keep my PPPoE sessions for weeks. before that when I was relying on the Sagemcom to handle the PPPoE session and it would drop it once every week or so. I don't believe my session has dropped since I've switched my setup (48 days?).

obviously the Sagemcom isn't an issue with Start anymore with their better modems.

I kind of hated DSL and told myself i'd never go back, but that was the old legacy 6M DSL, VDSL2 has been amazing and I'd it over cable any day.

planiwa

join:2009-02-19
Toronto M5S
kudos:1
said by jmck:

once I properly bridged the Sagemcom

(In my continuing quest to understand "bridging" of MoRoWeRas )

I'm interested in what "properly bridged" means and how it compares with "improperly (?) bridged", for the Sagemcom. Thanks.

Gixxer

St Catharines, ON
reply to Gixxer
Thanks everyone.

Just put in my 30 days with Bell, hopefully the service quality is on the same level.
--

planiwa

Toronto M5S
You may want to consider having both services in place, side by side, for a considerable overlap (two weeks?).

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to planiwa
said by planiwa:

said by jmck:

once I properly bridged the Sagemcom

(In my continuing quest to understand "bridging" of MoRoWeRas )

I'm interested in what "properly bridged" means and how it compares with "improperly (?) bridged", for the Sagemcom. Thanks.

by default the Sagemcom does passthrough bridging which is CPU limited or something and can only go as high as ~35Mbit/sec. And even tho it's 'bridging' it's still connecting to the Bell network and running various services on the device still.

there's no way to simply disable this on the Sagemcom from the interface, you have to load in an older firmware which provides console/telnet access where you can disable all of the modem's management and turn it back into just a modem.

planiwa

Toronto M5S
Ah. Thanks for that.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
i wish there was fttn in london... my area... mockingbird crescent area... but nope... bell won't lay fiber or a stinger/7330 remote... stupid money hungry greedy bell...

Gixxer

St Catharines, ON
reply to jmck
Bell terminates on Nov 6th, when should I order Start?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
There isn't any need to wait, as soon as your disconnect is in it'd be good to give us a call so we have lots of time to get your order in. The more lead time the easier it is to hit a specific date you'd like. Thanks.

planiwa

Toronto M5S
What exactly does "your disconnect is in" mean?

Perhaps it means "your disconnect date is known"?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Your disconnect request which generally you'd also know the date for.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
reply to planiwa
said by planiwa:

What exactly does "your disconnect is in" mean?

I think he means call now.

NOW! NOW! NOW!

--
electronicsguru.ca

Gixxer

St Catharines, ON
reply to Gixxer
I'm ordering right now, I'd like the install date to be Friday, November 1st. Is that a realistic date to get the service installed?
--

planiwa

Toronto M5S
Plan A will give you 2 full business days of overlap. If all goes well that is plenty.

If not, what is your Plan B? Do you know how to prepare for, and what to say, ask for, check, expect, and demand of the Bell Tech and the Telecon Tech?

Have you read:
»[DSL] Getting Start DSL - Questions about wiring install
»[DSL] Which Installer comes first? Inside or Outside?

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gixxer
said by Gixxer:

I'm ordering right now, I'd like the install date to be Friday, November 1st. Is that a realistic date to get the service installed?

As long as the outgoing Bell service and incoming Start service are on separate copper pairs, you can have overlap between the two services.

Start FTTN always goes in as dry loop, so if you had Bell home phone service with your VDSL, you should be good. You can always ask Bell tor the GAS/DSL number of your internet service and if it's the same as your home phone number, that's wet loop.

Gixxer

St Catharines, ON
It's dry, so they will overlap.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Should be fine, I suspect you'll get a confirmation of your date on Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks and welcome aboard.

Gixxer

St Catharines, ON
Thanks, just got it now it's been confirmed for Thursday October 31st, 2013 since I have that day off as well as the 1st of November.
--

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
At least you got that upgraded burial line out of bell

Gixxer

St Catharines, ON
Haha, indeed. I'm looking forward to 50/10.

Gixxer

St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
reply to Gixxer
Starts modem came in, think I can bridge it now with Bell's login info and swap back to Starts when the service becomes active? I kind of want to send Bell's modem back to them ASAP.
--

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
said by Gixxer:

Starts modem came in, think I can bridge it now with Bell's login info and swap back to Starts when the service becomes active? I kind of want to send Bell's modem back to them ASAP.

it will work as long as you get the proper login info off Bell.