Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32

Re: [DIRECTV] Genie plus HR 24 DVR

To connect two 5 tuner units (34/44) you need a SWM16 (not the built into dish unit) and connect one to one leg and the other to the other.

SWM only has 8 lines per SWM port, so a SWM dish only has 8 total (ok technically 9 but the 9th is a shared one) each tuner takes one line, so once a 5 tuner unit is connected then only 3 lines are left.

You can connect a 5 tuner, 2 tuner and a solo unit to a SWM dish.

BTW though it exists a SWm32 doesn't have the DECA bridge like the SWM16, likely for the best as there's a max of 16 deca clients per deca cloud. (TDMA, only 16 time slots)

So if you get a SWM32 you have to use DECA to eth bridging to link them
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

To connect two 5 tuner units (34/44) you need a SWM16 (not the built into dish unit) and connect one to one leg and the other to the other.

SWM only has 8 lines per SWM port, so a SWM dish only has 8 total (ok technically 9 but the 9th is a shared one) each tuner takes one line, so once a 5 tuner unit is connected then only 3 lines are left.

You can connect a 5 tuner, 2 tuner and a solo unit to a SWM dish.

BTW though it exists a SWm32 doesn't have the DECA bridge like the SWM16, likely for the best as there's a max of 16 deca clients per deca cloud. (TDMA, only 16 time slots)

So if you get a SWM32 you have to use DECA to eth bridging to link them

Yes, I'm aware how it would work, but point is DirecTV will not activate two Genie DVRs on one account, for the most part.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Actually I talked to a DTV installer recently and his word was DTV won't sale you 2 genie's but they'll activate however many you want.

you'd just have to buy them from solid signal not from DTV
so in theory you could buy multiple SWM32's and go wild.

they likely won't sale you more than 1 because some installers wouldn't connect it right (you should see some of the crap on dbstalk that people post of bad DTV installs)

I'd bet some installers would try putting 2 or more HR44's on the same SWM leg (one person had posted of daisy chained 8way's with leg 2 capped off and over 8 tuners on the leg in use.)

so based on some of those I'd bet if they sold you more than 1 then they'd get calls about only being able to record 3 on the 2nd one and other issues (not saying they're all bad but that there are some that are bad and those would generate lots of support calls.)
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

1 recommendation

comp

Premium Member

Installer was being Stupid.. They will not activate 2 Genies on one account

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by comp:

Installer was being Stupid.. They will not activate 2 Genies on one account

He said he's done it. Might just be the phone tech you get.
comp
Premium Member
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

and i have won powerball 6 times also

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by comp:

and i have won powerball 6 times also

winning $5 isn't really winning.
comp
Premium Member
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

And saying to have activated multiple genies on someones account is not really doing it also

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

you can choose to believe what you like.
comp
Premium Member
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

If you follow dbstalk.com.. which is dedicated to SAT TV. There are directv employees and installers who will confirm there is no 2 Genies on an Account

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

So you even realize how much it'd cost to do it? (thus why from their perspective it hasn't been seen often)

1. you might also (depending on the setup you have) get a new LNB
2. you'd likely have to buy a SWM16 or 32 on your own
3. you might get one from DTV but the 2nd one would be full price.

you'd likely be looking at about a grand atleast, and then likely a day or more to get the right CSR.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to comp

Premium Member

to comp
said by comp:

If you follow dbstalk.com.. which is dedicated to SAT TV. There are directv employees and installers who will confirm there is no 2 Genies on an Account

I find it curious that they won't authorize 2 Genies on 1 account but they'll let you authorize a seemingly unlimited number of other receivers.

Say, 4 HR24's and 4 H24's or 25's.
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc

It has more to do with the software control of the genie (Bumping heads with the other one)Than anything else - Might cause more trouble calls for D* than it's worth at this time.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Likely just to do with the genie mini's and how they connect to the master.

I know someone that had thier genie replaced and had a hard time getting the mini to move to the new one, he had to reset it and some other stuff.

so if they did it for normal people then they'd get calls about hay I recorded on G1 but mG2 can't watch it or some other odd crap.

just like why they don't put SWM32's in homes, ordinary people would have trouble.

IMO they should come out with a new SWM32 by just modding the OTA input connections and putting a 4way combiner of sorts in the box (basicly something to add the option to link the 4 but make it optional so it could act as a RF deca bridge vs using a deca-eth setup to connect the segments, but then you might hit the 16 deca address max issue unless you were careful about what you connected to the deca "cloud"