join:2013-03-05
Fremont, CA
Motorola MB8600
Netgear WNDR3700v4
(Software) lede

1 edit

madbavarian

[IPv6] ipv6 stops working after a few days

I have a Netgear 3700v4 configured to use DHCP for ipv6. After a router reboot all is well and ipv6 works for a few days. They suddenly the ipv6 connection fails, traceroute6's stop at the router and it takes a reboot of the router to bring things back to normal. After a reboot the router's ipv6 prefix delegation (ipv6 address on the lan side) changes and ipv6 connections start working again. The netgear doesn't give me enough info to tell if the router fails to try to renew the dhcp lan PD address or if Comcast's dhcp servers are never answering. Am I the only one seeing this? I can't imagine that one of the most common routers can't work with one of the larger ISP's.

Is there some automatic way to reboot the Netgear 3700v4 every day? At least that would be a work-around till whatever real problem gets fixed.
earletp
join:2004-02-03
PDX
ARRIS SB8200
Asus RT-AC68

earletp

I have a WNDR4500 with the same problem, and it is on the list of tested routers.
»[IPv6] Losing IPv6 connection every couple of days

Netdog is, among everything else on their plate, working to reproduce/verify the issue and I'm sure once they have we'll hear back.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to madbavarian

Premium Member

to madbavarian
Can you PM me your CM-MAC address please... and can you post the firmware version your using please..
madbavarian
Fremont, CA
Motorola MB8600
Netgear WNDR3700v4
(Software) lede

madbavarian

Hardware Version WNDR3700v4
Firmware Version V1.0.1.42
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.151
Operation Mode Router

The router downloads the newest firmware with a gui mouse click and currently claims that this is already the latest firmware.
earletp
PDX

earletp to madbavarian

to madbavarian
Out of curiosity, are you getting a /64 IPv6 WAN address on your Netgear router?

Earl

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by earletp:

Out of curiosity, are you getting a /64 IPv6 WAN address on your Netgear router?

Earl

you should get a /128 for the WAN..
earletp
PDX
ARRIS SB8200
Asus RT-AC68

2 edits

earletp

That's what I thought, but I'm getting a /64

Here's a link to a post where they are also getting a /64 and have to re-boot the router every couple of days to regain IPv6.
»Re: [IPv6] Evidence of Comcast IPv6 CPE Dual Stack (CPE and CPEP

I was wondering if madbavarian was getting a /64 and if that is a common theme to losing IPv6.

(edited to add)
Here are a couple more links to posts that show a /64 WAN address

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

3 edits

NetFixer to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

said by earletp:

Earl

you should get a /128 for the WAN..

Yes, but as I have also previously reported several times in this forum, my (Comcast supplied) Netgear WNR1000v2-VC router also reports a /64 IPv6 WAN address (and it also loses IPv6 connectivity every time the IPv6 lease expires...requiring that I either reboot it or disable and re-enable IPv6 to recover). Here are some of those posts (for the OpenWRT CLI references in the posts below, eth0 is the WAN interface):

»Re: [IPv6] Troubleshooting Comcast IPv6 (Start Here)
»Re: [IPv6] IPV6 Drops Off
»Re: [IPv6] OpenWRT and Comcast IPv6
»Re: Recieving /128 Address (OpenWRT)

FWIW, that router is no longer connected to my network, but if it would aid in obtaining a fix from Netgear for the IPv6 lease renewal problem, I can put it back on-line once again on an isolated VLAN for testing purposes.

EDIT: I decided to hook it back up for testing, and as shown by the two IPv6 status screen shots below, I didn't even have to wait until the IPv6 lease timed out to see the problem. All I did was connect it, check the IPv6 connectivity, and then power cycle it...a single power cycle was all it took to get a different WAN IPv6 address and a different DHCP-PD prefix:

None of my other routers do this. Perhaps it is just a coincidence that only this Netgear router displays a /64 WAN IPv6 address instead of a /128, but...
earletp
PDX
ARRIS SB8200
Asus RT-AC68

earletp

We know that three models of Netgear routers (WNR1000v2-VC, WNDR3700v4, WNDR4500) as well as a Linksys EA4200v2 have shown a /64 IPv6 WAN address.

NetDog See Profile, would it be a help if there was a thread specific to which devices are reporting a /64 IPv6 WAN address? (and maybe location)
kmax
join:2009-03-27

kmax to madbavarian

to madbavarian
R6300 v1
Firmware V1.0.2.70_1.0.50

Gets a /64

Works for about a day. Also takes down IPV4 connectivity as well. Router requires a reset.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to earletp

Premium Member

to earletp
Your not receiving the /64 for the WAN, your receiving a /128 but the interface is reporting the /64 that your /128 is apart of. This shoudl be ok it is just reporting the network you on.

Now if you receive a /64 and put it on your WAN to work with that would be a problem..

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to kmax

Premium Member

to kmax
said by kmax:

R6300 v1
Firmware V1.0.2.70_1.0.50

Gets a /64

Works for about a day. Also takes down IPV4 connectivity as well. Router requires a reset.

Yet another Netgear router!

Makes me wonder how Comcast's new Netgear business class gateway is doing in the business class IPv6 trials. A Comcast engineer offered to send me one of those boxes if I agreed to join the IPv6 trials. I agreed, but the deal fell through on Comcast's end (I never got the gateway, or a reason why); I think I am glad that I didn't get it.
madbavarian
Fremont, CA

madbavarian to earletp

to earletp
Yes, it is a /64 (as far as I can tell). The wifi and lan both share the same /64. If it got a /60 and is hiding the other 15, I can't tell. I assume not.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by madbavarian:

Yes, it is a /64 (as far as I can tell). The wifi and lan both share the same /64. If it got a /60 and is hiding the other 15, I can't tell. I assume not.

earletp See Profile was asking about your WAN IPv6 address assignment, not your LAN DHCP-PD IPv6 prefix.

For example, my Netgear WNR1000v2-VC router (which has the DHCPv6 lease renewal problem) displays a /64 WAN IPv6 address assignment (as shown below):

But my D-Link EBR2310 and DIR655 routers (which do not have the DHCPv6 lease renewal problem) correctly display a /128 WAN IPv6 address assignment (as shown below):

Since you did ask about a /60 PD assignment, the above screen shot does show that Comcast can indeed supply a /60 PD to a router that asks for it ( »[IPv6] ALL areas support /60 now... ).
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

I just had a look at my Netgear R6300v1 router...

I am also getting a /64 on my WAN

Router's IPv6 Address On WAN
2001:xxx:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:xxxx/64

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by neufuse:

I just had a look at my Netgear R6300v1 router...

I am also getting a /64 on my WAN

Router's IPv6 Address On WAN
2001:xxx:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:xxxx/64

Has your IPv6 connection been up long enough for you to know if your R6300v1 has the DHCPv6 lease renewal problem? That problem usually shows up at ~4 day intervals when the IPv6 lease expires, and I see that you have quite recently posted that your CMTS was not yet IPv6 ready.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

on Comcast no, but I've seen this issue on another ISP with the same router.. Netgear routers with IPv6 seem to be beta quality at best... I had a LOT of issues with netgear routers getting IPv6 wrong when we did 6to4 on Comcast, mainly it would hold an IP for a while then drop it and all the sudden IPv6 wouldn't work again until you power cycled the router (changing IPv6 settings and reapplying did nothing, only a power cycle worked)... saw similar on our other ISP with a DHCP'ed v6 address.. so I'm expecting Comcast's IPv6 implementation to do the same

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

1 edit

santy to madbavarian

MVM

to madbavarian
Click for full size
Well you can add me to the problem. I have a Netgear WNDR3700v4
Firmware version is: v1.0.1.42
GUI Language version is: v1.0303151

Above is a current screen shot of the IPv6 page showing a /64 IP and I currently do not have IPv6 connectivity. Will have to reboot to see if connectivity comes back or not. Will edit after reboot on IPv6 status.

EDIT: After rebooting the router still no IPv6. Rebooted modem, and then refreshed the IPV6 page in router I still have the same IP address on Wan and Lan, And I now have IPV6 connectivity. Modem is a Zoom 5341J

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

1 edit

owlyn to madbavarian

MVM

to madbavarian
I have reported my Netgear WNDR3400 here previously for the same issue- it drops IPV6 after a few days. It is showing a /64 WAN (and LAN) address.

I fix it by changing to 6to4, let it get set up with a 6to4 address, and then change it back to DHCP.

BTW, it continues to show the IPV6 address, even after IPV6 is dropped. Even hitting "refresh" makes it look like it is still using IPV6, but it isn't.

Firmware Version V1.0.0.50_20.0.59
madbavarian
Fremont, CA
Motorola MB8600
Netgear WNDR3700v4
(Software) lede

madbavarian to santy

to santy
I use "autoconfig" instead of "dhcp" on the lan side. It seems to be faster at propagating the address changes without having to reboot the laptop too.

I've got a Zoom 5341J upstream of the Netgear 3700v4 also. As strange as it sounds, I'll try rebooting it next time things get stuck.
madbavarian

madbavarian to NetFixer

to NetFixer
My Netgear also displays the wan address as a /64, but it doesn't have the host bits cleared in the address. That is often shorthand for the network you are on is /64 but the host address is clearly a /128. I'm so used to seeing that convention that I just ignored it.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum to madbavarian

Premium Member

to madbavarian
ahhh so I am not going nuts.. I too have the same problem with ipv6 not working after several days..

Netgear WNDR3700v3, firmware V1.0.0.30_1.0.27

Same problem would happen with previous firmware version - I flashed to the current version about 1-2 weeks ago. I've noticed this mostly via my RIPE Atlas probe, it will bounce from using ipv6 to using ipv4, never holding ipv6 longer than 3 days. A reboot of both router and probe would get me back to ipv6 again - for 3 days at least.

My router too is getting a /64.

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

santy to madbavarian

MVM

to madbavarian
said by madbavarian:

I use "autoconfig" instead of "dhcp" on the lan side.

I tried that initially back in June but I don't seem to get an IPv6 addy.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse to madbavarian

to madbavarian
I just started to have the IPv6 loss issue on my Comcast account today with my Netgear R6300v1 router... the internet started to drag and thought something was up... ran the test ipv6 sites and it had a lot of "bad" and "timeout" errors listed in the tests... worked 100% just the other day... until I disable IPv6 on the router the internet is obviously having timeout issues and is going very slow.. disable IPv6 and works fine again.....

falcor
@comcast.net

falcor

Anon

Quick side note here...Even after reading a lot about ipv6 I'm still pretty confused about it...that site to check if you have it ready to go says I'm 10/10

And my router set everything automatically, so is that it?...Am I using ipv6 now?

So does this basically just mean that sites such as google who have ipv6, I will connect via ipv6 to them now?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

If your browser is set to prefer IPv6 over IPv4, then it will try IPv6 first and fall back to IPv4.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

You can add the Netgear R6200 firmware V1.0.0.28_1.0.24 to the IPV6 problem, but mine with a twist.
When I have IPV6 set to auto config. It causes problems with my Vizio TV. When I turn IPV6 to disable, problem goes away?
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse to madbavarian

to madbavarian
the best part is that Netgear doesn't seem to think this is an issue... I've taken it up with their support in the past and during the R6300 beta testing... basically got a "we don't care" response...
kmax
join:2009-03-27

kmax to madbavarian

to madbavarian
Well, I tried registering on Netgear's forum last week in attempt to notify them of the issues. What a complete fiasco. After about 5 days I got my confirmation email.

Glad to see they are taking your report seriously.
madbavarian
Fremont, CA
Motorola MB8600
Netgear WNDR3700v4
(Software) lede

madbavarian to santy

to santy
The "auitoconfig" setting I use is on the *lan* side. It is how the router hands out IPv6 addresses to the local machines. The autoconfig setting is the IETF SLAAC method. Unlike DHCP it has a way to invalidate the currently active address assignments without having to wait for them to time out or the client to ask to renew the address.