egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to madbavarian

Premium Member

to madbavarian

Re: [IPv6] ipv6 stops working after a few days

im having the same issue too! I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I have a Netgear WNDR4500 and I can usually rectify the problem by disabling ipv6 and then renabling it and setting it to DHCP and then auto config but then a few days or maybe a week later (its sporattic) it ends up reverting back to losing the ipv6 address so yeah it definately sounds like a Netgear issue.

Also, i'm getting a little frustrated with Netgear. While their products are amazing, their firmware/driver support has gotten bad.

I also have a Netgear wireless adapter and ever since upgrading to Windows 8.1 rtm back in August (and even now) it doesn't connect to the 5ghz network. They haven't released a new driver to fix the issue and I don't even know if they will or even know about the problem.
willmo
join:2013-06-03
Seattle, WA

willmo to Kasoah

to Kasoah
said by Kasoah:

i actually had my ipv6 working for a while after a reboot

updated to the latest version r38509
and it stopped working after an hour

That's odd...after I updated to r38494 it's working great again. You must have a unique problem.

To be clear, while it's technically true that Netgear based their firmware on OpenWRT, they did that a long time ago and it was a very old version, and they made some major changes to it at the time and many more since. Meanwhile, OpenWRT has evolved massively, including brand-new written-from-scratch daemons for configuring interfaces and handling all aspects of IPv6. At this point they're barely more related than any other two Linux-based home router firmwares. So while both may have similar issues at times, those issues don't necessarily have the same root cause. We might consider keeping our discussion about OpenWRT separate from the main discussion about Netgear's firmware.
willmo

willmo

said by willmo:

said by Kasoah:

updated to the latest version r38509
and it stopped working after an hour

That's odd...after I updated to r38494 it's working great again. You must have a unique problem.

r38494 is still working for me, but I take back what I said about your problem being unique. Somebody else is having issues, I suspect due to r38505, so your version would be affected but not mine. Keep watching for changes to odhcp6c...
OCP
Premium Member
join:2004-10-11
USA

OCP to madbavarian

Premium Member

to madbavarian
My Asus Asus RT-N66U running the latest Asus, Merlin and Tomato (Shibby) all do it. There has to be an issue of some kind. The Comcast »test-ipv6.comcast.net/ test only work sometimes for me. Today rebooting the router seemed to fix it. I tried all of those different firmwares thinking it was a firmware issue. It's hard to believe now.

My cable modem is a SB6120, if that matters.

I fully admit to ignorance of IPv6. I'm kind of fumbling around trying to figure out why it doesn't work when it's not working.
earletp
join:2004-02-03
PDX
ARRIS SB8200
Asus RT-AC68

earletp to madbavarian

to madbavarian
I've made no changes on my end but recently I've gone from losing IPv6 every couple of days to where I now lose it every single day and have to re-boot my router to get it back.

NetDog See Profile, if you are still monitoring this thread, do you know if something has changed on your end in the Portland, Or. area?

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by earletp:

I've made no changes on my end but recently I've gone from losing IPv6 every couple of days to where I now lose it every single day and have to re-boot my router to get it back.

What router and modem do you have?
earletp
PDX

earletp

SB6120 and a WNDR4500(version 1)

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

said by earletp:

SB6120 and a WNDR4500(version 1)

It's a Netgear problem. All of their routers lose IPV6 on Comcast, except maybe the very newest one- the AC1900 Nighthawk. Not sure, though. I think I've seen reports that it works, but don't hold me to it. Anyway, I gave up waiting for Netgear and Comcast to fix it (I had a WNDR3400), and bought an ASUS router (RT-AC66R). IPV6 has been solid, shows a 64 prefix, and with the Merlin fimware loaded, it has a configurable IPV6 firewall.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

1 edit

NetDog to madbavarian

Premium Member

to madbavarian
Ok.. I am requesting a WNDR4500(version 1) for testing... If anyone else sees this issue with another model please tell me.. I am going to work with the vendor to correct this issue if we can..
madbavarian
join:2013-03-05
Fremont, CA

madbavarian

It happens with the latest model in the 3700 series too, Netgear WNDR3700v4.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

Netdog,

Also WNDR3400. I'll loan you mine if you want.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

Ok.. I am requesting a WNDR4500(version 1) for testing... If anyone else sees this issue with another model please tell me.. I am going to work with the vendor to correct this issue if we can..

Good luck with that. The new firmware for the WNR1000v2-VC (Comcast's version of the WNR1000v2) that was expected to fix the DHCP lease renewal problem did not fix the problem. Netgear does not seem to understand how to deal with Comcast's DHCPv6 implementation.

»Re: [Firmware] new firmware for WNR1000v2-VC

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

Netdog,

Also WNDR3400. I'll loan you mine if you want.

Thanks but I will get one ...

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

It is a Netgear problem. I talked to their tech support about a month ago as my R6200 was doing the same thing.
They know there is a problem, but really don't seem to be too concerned about it. Hope you have better luck with it.
earletp
PDX

earletp

I'm back on the "two day cycle" again.

In just this thread, these Netgear models have been listed as losing IPv6 every few days...

WNR1000v2-VC
WNDR3400
WNDR3700v3
WNDR3700v4
WNDR4500v1
R6200
R6300 v1

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

said by earletp:

I'm back on the "two day cycle" again.

In just this thread, these Netgear models have been listed as losing IPv6 every few days...

WNR1000v2-VC
WNDR3400
WNDR3700v3
WNDR3700v4
WNDR4500v1
R6200
R6300 v1

I would suspect the WNDR3400v2 is also subject to the problem.

jsterling
join:2013-04-23
Castle Rock, CO

jsterling to earletp

to earletp
Although it's older the WNR3500L has this issue as well.