share rss forum feed

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC
kudos:2

[Parts Check] Thoughts on this system

Was browsing and came across this. »www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ··· 577-LM3A

Dont need the latest and greatest, but want it to handle any game I throw at it.

Mostly going to play APB-Reloaded, Star Craft 2, BF3-4. Star Trek online.
--
I can explain it to you, but I cant understand it for you.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
At what resolution?

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to DaMaGeINC
You would be better off getting the significantly cheaper 750k cpu which is a slightly lower clocked trinity core but is essentially the same cpu as the 6800k, but without the integrated graphics.
Then put the money saved into a discrete graphics card (at a minimum a radeon 7750).
This would perform better than the integrated graphics of the 6800k chip.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 19113328

On a tight budget you could also get by with 4GB ram and add more later, if needed.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC
reply to Krisnatharok
1680x1050

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC

1 edit
reply to asdfdfdfdfdf
Im not on a super tight budget, Most I want to spend is about 500. I still need a new case, psu and a hard drive. Ive waited 7 years to build a new gaming rig, I dont mind waiting and buying a part here and there. At this point, anything is better than what I have.
--

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

1 recommendation

reply to DaMaGeINC
750k cpu $80:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 19113328

ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M motherboard $70:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 13157334

corsair 430cx power supply $40:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 17139026

G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ram $50:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 20231259

or, IF you think there is much chance that you are going to want to salvage the ram to move to an intel system perhaps this g.skill eco as you don't want 1.6v ram for an intel setup:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 20231319

1TB western digital blue drive $70:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 22236339

graphics 7850 msi $150:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 14127663

Add a cheap case.

If you don't have a retail copy of windows then we will need to scale back the graphics card a bit and you will go a bit over the $500 budget. If you aren't sure whether you have a retail or oem copy go into the windows control panel/system tab and look where it says windows activation. The product id is a bunch of alpha-numerics and there is a center portion of 3 letters or numbers between two dashes. If these 3 alphanumerics are "OEM" then you don't have a retail copy and you can't move the license to your new machine. If it is a set of 3 numbers you have a retail copy.

We can talk about modifications if we need to reduce cost or there is something you don't like.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I really second the 750K + 7850 recommendation. This will be a very solid setup.

Ken Peterson
Premium
join:2000-12-08
reply to DaMaGeINC
+2 - there is no comparison between the built-in video and the 7850. I use a 7850 on my primary box and it's more than adequate for anything I toss at it.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC
reply to DaMaGeINC
How are the asrock mobos? Never used anything other than Asus.

And will a 430w psu be enough?
--

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to DaMaGeINC
The 430 psu has a 32A 12v(384 watts) which should be more than enough for a midrange card like the 7850. With a 100w cpu you should be looking at less than 300w needed on the 12v. If you want to scale it up go ahead but don't buy something cheap that says it has a lot more than 430 watts, as many of those won't provide more than 32A 12v. I would suggest, if you change the power supply, that you check back here about your choice before moving forward.

Asrock's reputation has done nothing but increase over recent years but if you prefer asus post back saying so and I will try to find you an asus alternative. It will probably increase your costs a bit.

I'm sure the poster would prefer some input from others about these questions(i.e. is the psu enough and is asrock acceptable).

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to DaMaGeINC
I agree with asdf: Asrock, like Rosewill, has recreated itself as a solid, dependable budget brand. Anything Sandy Bridge gen or later is good, I believe. I see no need to go with an ASUS mobo other than brand preference. Your individual experience may vary, and a single DOA component is anecdotal and not a solid representation of that company's quality control.

To elaborate, it's hard to draw QC conclusions based on a one-off, but in my personal experience, I've had hell with my current gaming build using a premium ASUS mobo and high-end NZXT PSU. Having had several (3 each PSUs and mobos) units come DOA or fail shortly (1-2 months) after working, I am getting ready to avoid both Asus and NZXT. in the future. For my next build, I'd personally stick with Corsair or Seasonic PSUs and Gigabyte or EVGA mobos.

That said, I've built several computers with Asrock mobos (two Ivy Bridge) and have built three different computers with Rosewill HIVE PSUs (OT, but relevant to the brand discussion at hand). I also have the same Corsair 430w PSU in my HTPC which has been operating well for the past several years. I would go for the 500w Corsair as the cost difference is small and gives you additional headroom if you decide to add a bunch of drives, but the 430w should be sufficient..
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC
reply to asdfdfdfdfdf
Thanks for the input. Its been soo many years since Ive done a gaming build, im out of touch on whats the latest and greatest, and the do's and dont's.

When it comes to server hardware, well im good to go there.

I did a search on the Asrock mobo, seens solid, and for what I need, the board you recommended is what im going to get. The great thing about newegg, is if anything is DOA or dies a few months later, they have a great warranty program, so that's what Ill get too.

I would like to upgrade the memory to at least 6-8GB. This day and age, 4 is the min any new system should have.

Ill only have the 1 drive in the computer for now, later down the road ill add an SSD drive.

I read something about SSD caching or something or another... Would I be able to do that with this setup?
--

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC
reply to asdfdfdfdfdf
For the memory, I see the board supports DDR3 2600+, So does it matter if its pc1600 or 2600? Any noticeable performance difference?
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to DaMaGeINC
SSD caching (Intel Smart Response) is an Intel-specific technology. I could be wrong, but I am not aware of an AMD version of the technology. SSD caching pairs a small (~32 GB) SSD with a mechanical HDD to speed up data access.

The good news is that it is superfluous and unneeded if you use an SSD as your primary boot drive, as marrying a smaller SSD to it would see negligible gains (if any).

For $68, you can get 8GB of DDR3 1866: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 866C10DC

I would also recommend the AMD 760K CPU for $10 more, you get a 400 mhz boost in clock speed (and is the newer Richland vs. older Trinity): »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· D%20760k
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to DaMaGeINC
said by DaMaGeINC:

For the memory, I see the board supports DDR3 2600+, So does it matter if its pc1600 or 2600? Any noticeable performance difference?

While tech sites generally recommend faster ram for use in the AMD APUs so the iGPU can take advantage of the speed increase, I do not have any data to suggest one way or another for the 760K, which ships with the iGPU disabled (requires a discrete GPU to function).

The only thing cheaper than the 8GB (2x4GB) 1866 ram I linked earlier is this Mushkin memory from NCIX (which is currently out of stock) and only goes for $63, a savings of $5: »us.ncix.com/products/?usaffiliat ··· Enhanced

If I were you, I'd just go for the 8GB of 1866 ram.
--

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to DaMaGeINC
You won't be caching with an amd setup but if you get an ssd you are better off just getting a reasonably sized 128GB ssd and using it as your main drive, rather than messing with caching with a smaller drive.

As krisnatharok said ram speed is more an issue with amd if you are using integrated graphics. As you are not I would not worry too much about the speed. I wouldn't spend for high speed ram. 1600 or 1866 should be fine.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I would strongly recommend going for 8GB vice 4GB--the difference in cost is negligible.

Ram prices change daily, but you can always get the lowest prices on pc parts picker (simply sort by whatever amount you need):

»pcpartpicker.com/parts/memory/

Today, the cheapest 8GB of DDR3 ram at 1600mhz or greater is Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 for $54 with free S/H at MacMall:

»pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-m ··· c9t3k28x
--

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC
reply to DaMaGeINC
»www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ··· 648-LM3A

thoughts about this over what I have already?
--

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
What I do like about it is the price. That said, I'm not a fan of the power supply, although it'll do for now. A good chunk of MSI boards also use questionable-quality voltage regulators (aka VRMs or MOSFETs), that one looks like it's one of them. Lower-quality 4-phase setup+FX-8350 is probably not a good combo. Read this for more info, particularly the failure database.

If you do end up getting that system, I'd recommend underclocking/undervolting the CPU a bit. I tested an FX-8350/Asus micro-ATX system a couple of months ago and got the VRMs to throttle quite heavily at stock speeds/voltage.
--
KI6RIT

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to DaMaGeINC
said by DaMaGeINC:

»www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ··· 648-LM3A

thoughts about this over what I have already?

What do you have already?

I really do not like the 1GB Radeon 7850. Its performance will suck once you are vram capped.
--

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC
reply to n_w95482
Ya, I read the reviews on that mobo, and decided hell no!

I have everything in my cart ready to buy, just waiting to see if prices come down. Total with everything is $572.
--

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC
reply to DaMaGeINC
Click for full size
This is what I have so far. Not pictured is the case which is 49
--

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC
I upgraded the memory to pc 2400.. Found a promo code that made it cheaper than the 1600.
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 20231667

Found a bunch of other promo codes that saved me over $50!!! Go Newegg!

So I ordered it all last night! Should be here friday.
--

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
Cool, should be a solid machine .
--
KI6RIT

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC

2 recommendations

reply to DaMaGeINC
Click for full size
Well got the parts in today! Built the pc and powered up with no issues! The only problem I ran across was when I tried to network boot Windows 7, the PXE did not have NIC drivers, so I had to use AIK and recompile a new bootloader. After the drivers were added, everything installed fine!

Performance is KILLER! I could not be more pleased! Every single game I throw at it runs on MAX settings! Just smooth as glass!

For a $500~ build, you can not beat this!
--

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to DaMaGeINC
Glad you are so pleased with the results and that everything went smoothly.
Enjoy your new machine!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

reply to DaMaGeINC
Gratz man! Glad you are enjoying it!

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to DaMaGeINC
That's a nice system. I'd build one exactly like that if I was in the market for a 2nd gaming PC.