spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ajafire

join:2013-10-07

[RANT] Mediacom Sold my info?

Brand new Mediacom customer 10/3. Had the phone added to the service. Within 2 hours of activation received a call and it was a telemarketer with my name and address. Friday received 2 calls both from tele sales. Today, Monday have received over 10 and the ADT Security sales rep TOLD me they bought the number off a list. We haven't provided this new number to anyone.
Reported to Cust Serv at Mediacom who denied it and said there was nothing more they could do other than give a different number. What's the point? This is how a new customer is treated?
We already are scheduled for a service call for replacement equipment. Feeling a bit harassed is an understatement.
Anyone know whom this should be directed to at Mediacom?

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
I'd like to hear Mediacom's answer, but I suspect what has happened is simply this: It used to be (and I believe still is the case) that unless you specifically get an unlisted number, your number automatically gets recorded in a "whitepages" directory and in an e911 database. I'm sure telemarketers pay the money to constantly watch those databases for each change and pick it up immediately. And they in turn sell the list. The speed of today's internet just being what it is. If you haven't already, get this number registered in the government's "donotcall" database - it is not perfect, but does reduce some of the telemarketers.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to ajafire
Did you have Mediacom port your old phone # over to Mediacom or did Mediacom issue you one of their phone numbers?

Dmnchild

join:2011-01-30
Columbia, MO
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to ajafire
Its all part of their master plan to squeeze as much money out of us as possible. Data caps, service always down, sell you out for marketing money.... They need to get what they can before google moves this direction because I guarantee nobody stays with this Sh*t service and support once they come in. More so given pricing, speed, and no limits. TV, uncapped data, and 1gbp/s connection for 120? Think thats around what I'm paying now for 100mbit. pffffttt...... Just saying

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117

1 edit
reply to ajafire
We do not sell customer information, but I'll look into this. Could you send me a personal message with your account or phone number?

To touch on what k9iua6 said. When signing up for services you have the option to have your number published (Free) or non-published ($4.50/month). Once the services are activated if the number is published we release this information to phone book companies to update their database. If you subscribe to the $4.50/month service your number is not released. Mediacom doesn't sell your personal information I assure you of this.
--
MediacomChad
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Premium
Clive, IA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to ajafire
This is a well known telephone company money-making tactic that goes way back before most of us were born. MediacomChad is 100% correct when he says that Mediacom (and other TelCo's) don't sell your personal information. They gladly spend the time an effort to give your information to your local phone book publisher and 411 services FOR FREE.

Thanks to technology today, telemarketers can scrape your personal data from the 411 sites in real time. Before you know it, someone is trying to sell you a new roof by dinner time.

Mediacom and other telephone companies would rather charge you a monthly FEE to keep them from publishing your data and exposing it to telemarketers. This, in my mind, is a scam. You are paying someone to keep your name and info off of a list (by doing NOTHING) MONTHLY!!!!!

When the Feds get their act together, go to »donotcall.gov and put your number on the do not call registry.

also, *77 blocks all anonymous calls and *67 will block specific phone numbers.

[EDIT] Fixed donotcall.gov to be a hot link.

--
The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost. (usually)

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
reply to MediacomChad
So Mediacom is running the same scam as the phone companies where they charge you NOT to publish your number? That's another reason to hate Mediacom I guess.

rfnut
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Mediacom
I would not lean towards Mediacom following the same "scam". It is more likely their provider that has this pricing schedule in place. ie. all phone companies do this. Mediacom is just the reseller that acts like a real phone company, but I could be wrong.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
what is medaicom reselling? they our there own phone company. Only difference is they are VOIP and don't guarantee that it will stay on in a power outage or weather related event. now what they pay when its switched off there network well thats a big question...

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to ArizonaSteve
said by ArizonaSteve:

So Mediacom is running the same scam as the phone companies where they charge you NOT to publish your number? That's another reason to hate Mediacom I guess.

While you may find fault with Mediacom, why should they cut off a revenue source that all the other telecommunication companies are availing themselves of? What would be needed is statewide bans of such practices, but good luck trying to get all states to pass laws, let alone a Federal law, prohibiting this billing.

iowaman5

join:2013-08-30
Davenport, IA
reply to ajafire
Most likely this number belonged to someone else and it has already been on a list long before you got it

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Premium
Clive, IA
"Within 2 hours of activation received a call and it was a telemarketer with my name and address."

Nice try iowaman5, but that theory doesn't float if they have his name and address.
--
The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost. (usually)

Klarth

join:2005-09-16
Oronogo, MO
Reviews:
·Mediacom
Yeah, but if you check the data caps thread you'll see arguing with him isn't even remotely worth it. Any reasoned argument just gets an incoherent word salad filled with misplaced rage and a poor understanding of how bandwidth capacity works.

But back on topic, it should be hardly surprising. Between their misleading scam snail mail that they send to non-subscribers with "important account information" that's really just attempts to get people to buy their service and the fact that you rely on your phone service for 911 calls, there's no way I'm putting the safety of my home and family in the hands of those incompetent buffoons.

The funny thing is I am actually interested in a landline, but out of disgust for Mediacom's marketing practices I'd rather send smoke signals than pay them a penny for phone service. Just as well as they'll probably soon force a metered plan for $5/minute if you go over 500 minutes. Makes about as much sense as a $5/month fee just to not be subject to telemarketers at all hours.

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Premium
Clive, IA
Klarth, you raise an interesting question. Has anyone inquired if Mediacom Phone (VOIP) adds to the monthly data totals on an account? Afterall, it is part of the network.

A little off topic, I know. But worth asking nonetheless.
--

iowaman5

Davenport, IA
reply to Radio_Guy
You are right. I can admit when i'm wrong

iowaman5

Davenport, IA
reply to Klarth
First off check my post below.
2nd I would say the same about you. as a lot of what you say is wrong. But hey you have the right to think what you say is right and I have the right to say what I think is right. And I know how bandwith capacity works. You also know how it works , your just way uninformed about the economicss of how bandwith works .
You have yet to provide any proof of what you claim. You have no ideal what it cost for them to provide this service. I also dont know.

iowaman5

Davenport, IA
reply to Radio_Guy
No they do not. I get charged 45.00 and nothing more. The data used by voip does not get added to your internet account

iowaman5

Davenport, IA
reply to Klarth
Klarth, learn before you speak, There phone service is unlimited. You are not bound by any limits. And you have no way of knowing what there plans are. You are just a spitful person, who is pissed off because you cant prove your case against them

Klarth

join:2005-09-16
Oronogo, MO
Reviews:
·Mediacom
You realize there's an edit button, right? That way you can amend your derp instead of just spamming the thread. Add it to the list of things to be wrong about, but being pissed off at Mediacom isn't one of them. They aren't worth it, much like yourself.

Next time before instinctively servicing Mediacom's image with your "spitful"ness, perhaps you should re-read my post in which I did not claim that it currently isn't unlimited.

(psst, it was a reference to Mediacom's habit of changing usage limits mid-contract. Remember when they've done that? Oh right, you aren't worth it, nevermind. Just keep fighting that good fight there, buddy)

rfnut
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL
kudos:2
reply to ajafire
Suffering Sucatash! Too much spitting going on in here.

ajafire

join:2013-10-07

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to MediacomChad
New # issued. Never informed it would be published, never offered for it not to be. Had a phone with broadband for 5 years and they never published it. In fact I contacted previous provider and they do not publish in white pages or any directory. In fact Mediacom is PAID to publish the numbers. 7 day old customer and THIS is how we are treated? Tonight, watching BEARS game and poof out went cable. Called in and after 15 min was told it WAS an area wide outage. Then an hour later get an email that they will do a service call on Monday. Call back in for clarification and get a gal who can't use common sense outside of the script she was reading. I think we will go back to our old broadband provider.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117
I'd love to look into this for you and see what is going on if you want to PM me your telephone# or MAC address.