spc
uniqs

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep
join:2010-12-16

Shaw_Alex to Gotspeed

to Gotspeed

Re: [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

Hopefully I can provide some insight to your questions.

1) Bandwidth transfer costs more than pennies. You are paying for the delivery system, not just the cost of data. Apples grow on trees, yet they cost money at the grocery store. It's the delivery of services you are paying for. Costs continue to go up for many reasons, including of course inflation.

2) The network is a vast and growing system. Some areas are under more stress than others. If you are in an area that is experiencing issues, we will need to expand our resources for that section. Remember the internet is built on physical connections. When you connect to the internet in your home, that connection was built over years and years of expansions and upgrades to keep up with the latest technology. When demand increases, all of those parts need to change and upgrade to meet the new needs. In some cases entire roads need to be dug up to replace cables or investments in equipment worth hundreds of thousands of dollars need to be purchased to upgrade an area. It is a very expensive and time consuming business.

3) Similar to question 1, the demand for more data and faster speeds requires constant investment and resources. Our internet product has evolved constantly over the last 5 years that I have been with Shaw. When I started, 7.5mbps download speeds were the standard and now we are seeing 50mbps become a regular package. You may not notice it every day, but your internet connection is constantly improving and it's incredible.

I hope that helps.

AmRoD11
@shawcable.net

AmRoD11

Anon

@Shaw_Alex
What happened to Unlimited 100 and 250?
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex
said by Shaw_Alex:

1) Bandwidth transfer costs more than pennies. You are paying for the delivery system, not just the cost of data. Apples grow on trees, yet they cost money at the grocery store. It's the delivery of services you are paying for. Costs continue to go up for many reasons, including of course inflation.

so basically shaw is saying ," were cheap and we dont wanna upgrade people untill we rip them off for a bit to make up for the cash were gonna loose". that is called the cost of business, shaw cant jack prices just because telus's superior plans and pricing is forcing them to roll out upgrades sooner, you need to spend money to make money, not jack customers up to makeup for the money your about to loose, these raised prices would not be necessary if shaw didnt waste money on stupid shit like shaw go wifi, so were basically paying for that

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999 to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex
4) Wheres my Phase 2?
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

+1 but more specifically, where is my bb250, phase 2 is already done here lol

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I've been getting conflicting responces from Shaw lately, Phase 2 is now removing all the analog stations, not just the Tiers

JohnH1
@telus.net

JohnH1

Anon

Can two Shaw accounts run across the same coaxial cable or will I need to pull another cable?

The basement is being rented out and they are using Shaw for TV.

The whole house is wired for Cable/Ethernet and everything goes back to the closet. Their connection goes from the basement up to the closet, connects to another coaxial cable in the closet that goes outside the side of the house, down a conduit all the way to the garage into the smart panel.

There's a spare coax from the closet to the side of the house but terminates there. There's a fishing line in the conduit from the house to the garage so I could pull an extra coax cable and connect it to the spare coax. But is it necessary or is it all going to travel down the same line anyways?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

It will be the same cable coming from the street, and split to the upstairs and basement