uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

1 edit

Texas peace officer fatally shoot by suspect

Upton County Deputy Billy "Bubba" Kennedy, a licensed peace officer for 14 years with stops in Pecos County, Brown County and Upton County, was remembered by his friends and family Thursday morning.

»www.officer.com/news/11185921/te···31003007

This is very sad hearing a peace officer was shot, and killed

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·Callcentric
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus

1 recommendation

Premium
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for more info.

Another thing is majority of people hate cops. There are many good officers, but people just don't see it this way.

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to 47717768
Just an aside:

Is "peace officer " now the PC version of. "cop"? Makes them seem all soft and cuddly, doesn't?

Sorry to hear that he was killed. It takes a very special type of person to be a cop, to be willing to go into potental harm's way every single day, and it's a loss to us all when they are taken away from us.

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Peace Officer is a commonly used term in Texas, both in the law and in common usage.

New York and many other states also use the term in their laws.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Yeah, but it's kind of vague. I mean, were we talking about an off-duty customs officer? Because he's a "peace officer" too.

If one means a police officer, one should say so.

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·Callcentric
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
It's not a vague term in Texas.

»www.tcleose.state.tx.us/content/···rial.cfm
»www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D···1701.htm
»www.tcleose.state.tx.us/content/···ions.cfm

Things vary in different states.

For example, in many states, a Justice of the Peace is a very minor official, but they have a fair amount of power in Texas. Ignorance of that led to a confrontation after JFK's assassination when the Feds wanted to take his body back to Washington right away.

Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 edit
reply to 47717768
I have always thought that "peace officer " term is a very common . To me peace officer term means an officer who is very nice, and generous who understands people, and of course wants nothing, but peace.

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
Beautiful NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
I don't think that I've ever heard it used around here. I suspect I'd hear a lot of guffaws if I used it in everyday conversation.

I respect the police, but I don't share your rose-colored view of them, I'm afraid. They're subject to the same character flaws like anyone else.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

It's a term I find used more in small, laid-back communities where the emphasis is more on the "serve" than on the "protect" aspects of law enforcement -- places where the officers are more inclined to mediate conflicts between residents than try to recall what statutes to arrest someone under.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
That's odd: it connotes the opposite in my mind, likely because it replaces a common and understood term by something that sounds a little more lofty while disguising the true nature. I am naturally suspicious of that sort of thing.

Additionally, it has some sort of Orwellian tone to it. Officers of the Ministry of Peace.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA
kudos:1

1 edit
Hence demonstrating how the original meaning of a word or phrase can be completely reversed over time.

(Or perhaps, I should say useage or perception?)

--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY
reply to 47717768
(Dr. Dre)
Yeah, and you don't stop.
(Snoop Doggy Dogg)
Cause it's 187 on an undercover cop.

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·Callcentric
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
reply to dave
I'm sorry to be repetitive, but you are using a connotation based on your home state. Maybe you've only lived in one, I don't know.

I've lived in several states, and things can be different, especially in the south and southwest. And most especially in Texas.

In Texas, a state-issued Peace Officer certification is above and beyond a regular police officer, worthy of extra pay:

Police Officers who have a Master Peace Officer Certification will receive the following additional pay incentive.

Master Peace Officer Certification $90 per month ($1,080 annually)

»www.roundrocktexas.gov/home/inde···page=786

-----

More broadly:

Years ago when I lived in the neighboring Virginia cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth, the people in one city said "hot dog" and in the other city said "frankfurter", and this was a big deal to them.

You can't assume that your use of language is the same as someone else's especially in a different place.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to DownTheShore
Constables are Peace Officers, they are a rank lower then Sheriffs. They are the people who watch over people taking out their items of a foreclosed house at the last minute or makes sure no funny business is going on during parental visits for a child. They also are used for private parties. They pretty much keep the peace in check during private matters.

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
Beautiful NJ
reply to jvmorris
That must be it then. It's definitely more "protect" than "serve" around here, given our population density.