Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GiantTuna

join:2013-10-08
Canada

Internet Down for 14 Days, Long Distance Charge from Support

Hello everybody,

I live in Guelph (Ontario), and my roommates and I decided to go with Acanac's 35Mbps cable package. Use of this internet started out on a pretty decent note at the beginning of September. We had very small service interruption issues which began around September 12, resulting usually in ping of approximately 400ms-500ms for several minutes before resolving itself.

On September 17th (two weeks ago exactly) our internet completely stopped working. The problem with this disconnection is that the network is still available and at full strength, however there is no internet access available.

So on the 19th (two Thursdays ago) I decided to call Acanac's toll free (1-866-281-3538) support number which they have on their website to try to figure out what was wrong. After finally having gotten through the 3 hour long wait in the phone queue, I managed to speak to a technician who ran me through several troubleshooting methods. Needless to say, these did not work, and resulted in my modem (Thomson DCM475) having all lights solid green except for a blinking US light.

After coming to this result, the technician explained to me that the issue was either being caused by the outage they were experiencing in Barrie (although this was highly unlikely he said) or it was the result of a line issue. He told me that the internet may be restored within the next few days on its own, otherwise he had a technician scheduled to come to our house on the upcoming Sunday to fix the issue manually (Sept. 22nd).

So Sunday came and went, however no technician arrived at our house to repair our internet (or even contacted us to let us know that they wouldn't be coming). Being a rather calm and patient person, I decided to wait until Tuesday (Sept. 24th) before I attempted to get through to a technician via the same toll free number as before (1-866-281-3538). Three hours later (around 7pm), I reached first in line in the phone queue, so a recording played saying that I would be transferred to the next available representative. Within a couple of seconds from this the call was dropped. When I attempted to call the number back, there was a message informing me that "due to wait times exceeding one hour" I needed to try again later.

The next day (Sept. 25) I tried yet again and got in after just over two hours. I told the technician who picked up exactly what I had gone through with the last technician to attempt to troubleshoot. When I explained how an appointment had been missed by a technician to fix our internet, the only thing I was told by the representative was, "I don't know why you were told that it would only be a few days, wait times are like at least two weeks right now. I have no idea when it could be, but I forwarded the issue to support so you should receive an update by the end of the week." This call on the 25th was the last I had heard from Acanac's support, and our internet is still disconnected with the same problem (it is now October 8th).

Throughout this whole ordeal, I have had two poorly-maintained email tickets open on the Acanac website. Yesterday I decided to send a reply to one of the open tickets expressing how distraught I am over the fact that two weeks have gone by and I have received essentially no assistance in solving this issue. So, today I receive a call from Acanac (first time they have contacted me, rather than me contacting them) regarding this email; they are supposedly going to be calling me tomorrow to try to troubleshoot yet again. I would take this to mean the possibility of finally resolving our connectivity issues and be happy because of this, but shortly afterwards I came across some information that set me off like never before.

After approximately 10 hours on hold and 2 hours speaking to technicians, I had received negligible amounts of help, however Acanac gave me something else that I hadn't expected. I decided to check the billing on my phone, only to discover two different $50 long distance charges (over $110 including shorter attempts to contact) on my account from the calls that I made to the Acanac "TOLL FREE" technical support number.

TO SUMMARIZE EVERYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED:

Our cable internet with Acanac randomly disconnected 14 days ago. After calling the support phone line and waiting for a few hours, a technician was eventually scheduled to come to our house and fix the issue three days after the call. The technician never showed up, so I waited another day before I spent another two days trying to contact Acanac support. After getting through for the second time, the representative said that I had been told an unrealistic date for the technician's arrival and that he could not give me an expected date (but I would receive an update as soon as my account had been looked at later that week). On the 13th day without internet I decided to reply to an open ticket on my account through the Acanac website, expressing how upset I am over the lack of help I have received. I was called today by Acanac support as a result of this email and they want to attempt another troubleshoot tomorrow night.

Today, at the two week point, I discovered that Acanac has racked up over $100 in long distance charges on my phone through calling their "toll free" support number which never ended up giving me much support. The more than $100 in long distance charges for calling a "toll free" number, paying for two weeks of internet without receiving any service, the unnecessarily stressful process of attempting to receive technical support, and the inconvenience of not having an expected service has made my experience with Acanac a very regrettable one to say the least.

Thank you for reading and feel free to comment or offer assistance,

"Valued" Acanac Customer

Fergless
Premium
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

Re: Internet Down for 14 Days.

Can you check your PM's please.

Thank you.

GiantTuna

Canada
reply to GiantTuna

Re: Internet Down for 14 Days, Long Distance Charge from Support

Update for Day 18:

Within a handful of hours (at 5:45 a.m. the morning after specifically), this post was replied to by Fergless who is a representative of Acanac. Within the next few hours, I was told by Acanac on one of my tickets that basically they sent information to wherever it needs to be sent in order to receive service from a technician. However, this was over 72 hours ago and there has been no further communication from Acanac regarding the issue (not even assurance that help actually IS coming).

I must say, I truly am amazed by Acanac's lack of delivery when they promised fast and reliable customer service. Not only does their customer service take hours to get through only to be left in the dark after troubleshooting doesn't work by phone, but the fact that THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE RESPONDS TO COMPLAINTS WITHIN HOURS IF THEY'VE BEEN POSTED TO THE PUBLIC AND MAY HARM THEIR COMPANY'S INTEGRITY is absolutely appalling.

Do I understand that I was offered some assistance from Fergless? Yes I do.
Do I understand that it may take more than a couple of days to resolve an internet connection issue? Yes, I definitely get that.
Do I understand that after three weeks there is a good possibility that this issue will still be unresolved? No, that is absolute bullshit, there is no reason for customer support to take three weeks and still not tell me a possible date of resolution (let alone actually fix the problem).

Fergless
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to GiantTuna

Hi

We are having issues as other ISP's are also having with reasonable responses to our tickets. It's gone as far as submissions to the CRTC to see if it can be made more palatable to all customers, ours and the carriers.

Let me check on it on Tuesday and I'll get back to you.

Thank you.

GiantTuna

Canada
Thank you, Fergless.

Fergless
Premium
Toronto, ON
Glenna just replied to your ticket.

GiantTuna

Canada
Uhm...the ticket was sent on October 15th saying that a technician was sent on October 12th...

"Posted on 15 Oct 2013 09:40 AM

Dear Valued Customer,

Our records indicate service technician appointment: 10/12/2013 Between 11-2PM:Contact number:519-xxx-xxxx"

GiantTuna

Canada
Just to note: I was not contacted through my phone which I had on me at all times and in service. Just now is the first that I am seeing about this appointment that was scheduled during Thanksgiving weekend while everybody in our house was gone home, thus not being able to answer the door even if the technician did show up and knock. If we had been contacted before 3 days after the appointment, somebody may have been able to stay to meet the technician...

Fergless
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to GiantTuna

Re: Internet Down for 14 Days,

Can you please let support know they didn't show up and they will arrange for another appointment?

Thank you and sorry for the delays.

GiantTuna

Canada

1 edit
Yeah I sent another ticket update...please tell me this doesn't put me back at the end of the waiting line because that will definitely be the last straw. This is the 21st day, by the way.

GiantTuna

Canada
reply to GiantTuna

said by GiantTuna:

Uhm...the ticket was sent on October 15th saying that a technician was sent on October 12th...

"Posted on 15 Oct 2013 09:40 AM

Dear Valued Customer,

Our records indicate service technician appointment: 10/12/2013 Between 11-2PM:Contact number:519-xxx-xxxx"

So now the current situation seems as though I just have to sit here and wait around some more.

Apparently the only thing that can be done about being disconnected from the internet for 21 consecutive days is to have a technician come to fix the problem while nobody is home on a holiday weekend during an appointment scheduled 3 days BEFORE being notified of the creation of the appointment.

Fergless
Premium
Toronto, ON
Please check your PM's

Thank you.

quote:
during an appointment scheduled 3 days BEFORE being notified of the creation of the appointment.
Just to clarify.
Glenna replied to your ticket this morning when I asked her, she replied today and that would have today's date on the ticket. She noticed the install had been missed on the date you mentioned, not that it was a notification of being scheduled.

Fergless
Premium
Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to GiantTuna

What is your ticket # again, it's buried in PM's here. I'll see if there are any updates.
Found it VMZ-67364, checking with Glenna now.

GiantTuna

Canada
reply to Fergless

Click for full size
The ticket as of this morning when Glenna made the newest post.
"Just to clarify.
Glenna replied to your ticket this morning when I asked her, she replied today and that would have today's date on the ticket. She noticed the install had been missed on the date you mentioned, not that it was a notification of being scheduled."

Fergless
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to GiantTuna

Which says dated today, since I checked the ticket today, you had an appointment scheduled for 10/12/2013 Between 11-2PM and is your service OK.

Latest Update:
quote:
Update:I've replied to the carrier citing your last update. Pending carrier confirmation of
dispatch.

Cable Support

GiantTuna

Canada
And I'm saying that I was never notified of the appointment through the contact number that Glenna stated or through email, explaining why the appointment was missed: it effectively came and went without being known about by anybody but the technician himself.

Fergless
Premium
Toronto, ON
It does seem you weren't notified.

GiantTuna

Canada
That is correct, and that is also the reason as to why I was hoping that the rescheduling of my appointment would take priority.

Fergless
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by GiantTuna:

That is correct, and that is also the reason as to why I was hoping that the rescheduling of my appointment would take priority.

It can't go any faster, you're already aware of the carriers and tickets.

GiantTuna

Canada
said by Fergless:

It can't go any faster, you're already aware of the carriers and tickets.

For any followers, what Fergless is referring to is the ongoing issue between independent ISPs and Rogers (who is the incumbent, they own the cable lines the IISPs rely on). Basically, the Rogers technicians are used by Rogers themselves as well as indie ISPs. What is highly thought to be foul play by Rogers has essentially created a massive backlog for requesting a technician by the indie ISPs. This is because they were not notified before Rogers' cable lines underwent some form of upgrade, resulting in large outages which there are not enough technicians available to repair them quickly.

This explains why it took 18 days for a technician to be sent to our house, but still does not explain why it took 21 days to receive any form of notification of said appointment.

Fergless
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to GiantTuna
It's also due to the agreement between the carrier and the CRTC, which the Indies had no say in. Lots of info on the TekSavvy forums about it.
»CRTC asks for your comments to CNOC Cable Part 1

»[Cable] CRTC - CNOC Part 1 Cable Carrier Services & Update

And you just have to read about the Delays and Outages as well to get a feel for it.

GiantTuna

Canada
AKA get trolled.

GiantTuna

Canada
reply to GiantTuna
Well, they finally sent a notice to us saying that we will have a technician sent to us on Monday evening to fix the issue. I'd say this was handled quite smoothly...only a grand total of 28 full days without internet service before the arrival of a technician? This journey has been an epic quest for the internet as far as I am concerned, and it was plagued by the seemingly endless obstacles of both the Acanac tech support's lack of structure/organization and the scheming of good old Rogers.

All in all, Fergless has been very helpful in trying to assist me throughout this quest, and I would hope that Acanac could possibly even learn from this. I can basically break it down to this:
-Using a phone system for tech support which takes 3 hours to get through on and having an email-based system which takes from hours to days to receive responses through as your primary means of receiving assistance is very frustrating as well as difficult in the case of email due to a lack of internet to begin with.
-It's astonishing how small the amount of help I received over the course of 14 days (through email and phone) is compared to coming to this 3rd party website with my story and receiving help from Fergless within 24 hours.
-Based off of this experience, I think that Acanac should look to employ some form of instant messaging help system to assist their customers. Let's say that they decide to get rid of their useless SMS(texting) support system, these employees could potentially host IM queues specifically for people with internet connectivity issues that have already received some form of help, thus having a ticket key required to join the instant messaging queue.
-The main benefit of this would be to lessen the amount of people waiting in the phone queues who are unable to have their issue resolved by means of phone (as in troubleshooting including factory reset of modem) as well as offer some additional help/information to them quickly during a period where they have internet access. This is mostly because keeping up with email is rather difficult when you don't have access to the internet all day, and there being such a large delay between responses.

Fergless
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to GiantTuna
Hello again

Are you aware Acanac has it's own Community Forum?

Here's the link:
»community.acanac.com/acanac/index.php

GiantTuna

Canada

1 edit
reply to GiantTuna
This just got legendary.

The technicians showed up today, they fixed a couple of old crappy connectors and said that our internet should be running very smoothly. They then looked at the lights on the modem only to say, "Oh, your modem is dead man, you gotta talk to your ISP and have it replaced".

So my face is basically the equivalent of saying, "Are you shitting me?" and the answer is no, he was not shitting me. Apparently after all of this, some of the green lights on the modem are supposed to be blue. How, Acanac? How?

GiantTuna

Canada
reply to GiantTuna
Still no internet, so we've decided we are going to leave Acanac tomorrow. It has been over a month now, and we've had literally everything done that they've said needed to be done in order to resolve our issue. First the technician came, then we swapped modems, then we called to troubleshoot again, and then we were told yet again that we're being affected by an outage in Markham? First it was a Barrie outage, then it was a Scarborough outage, now it's a Markham outage.

I no longer care for what outage is causing it, I just want to have what remains of our year of service refunded and I want to switch providers because as far as I'm concerned, Acanac is far from being considered a trusted provider.

GiantTuna

Canada

1 edit
reply to GiantTuna
Six days later I'm still waiting in line to have my internet disconnected. My internet can be inexplicably disconnected for five and a half weeks, yet when I request to have it disconnected they can't do it even within a week.

This company has become my worst nightmare over the course of this ordeal.

GiantTuna

Canada
reply to GiantTuna
Waited a full week to have our internet cancelled and refunded. No response from them whatsoever.

Rebel_Spawn

join:2013-10-28
Gatineau, QC
reply to GiantTuna
ugh, this is disheartening to hear. I am considering switching from Videotron as the savings would be $20/month, but if I could possibly lose my internet connection for up to a month? Not worth it IMO. Also my wife LOVES/sarcasm spending hours on the phone with tech support (hello apple) and as she is home during the day, would most likely have to take the first stab at getting this resolved.
2nd guessing this move now.

markie58

join:2009-04-24
Chateauguay, QC
7 years with Acanac 4 DSL 3 Cable in QC. The cable has never gone down except for power failures.