Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

Foreign call signs

Just curious how many how you have held foreign call signs?

I have had two.

DA2GI and DA1DMS

OldCableGuy

@planetcr.net
I would think just about any HAM would regularly hear foreign call signs, do you never work HF bands/frequencies?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
The way I read tobicat See Profile's post, I thought he means being licensed by foreign authorities. I'm not, only having been licensed here since July of this year.

For US hams traveling abroad a foreign call sign is not always required. US hams that are also US citizens for example qualify under CEPT to operate in much of Europe using their US call sign. A similar agreement covers a number of countries in the Americas (this too allows operation using the US call sign).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

tobicat
Premium
Tombstone, AZ
reply to OldCableGuy
Click for full size
said by OldCableGuy :

I would think just about any HAM would regularly hear foreign call signs, do you never work HF bands/frequencies?

Huh I was talking about holding a valid foreign license like this one not hearing them. I probably talked to thousands of em.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
That address is just around the corner of the Fachhochschule Frankfurt where I got my Dipl.-Ing. degree and in the same year as you got your Amateurfunkgenehmigung. How is that for coincidences ?
--

tobicat
Premium
Tombstone, AZ
Yep it was right across the street from the TOR used to eat there a lot until they kinda got unfriendly to Americans for some reason.

It was in a kaserne named Atterberry. I think they tore all of the buildings down as soon as the Army moved out of Frankfurt.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
Studying for a technical degree we didn't get involved in political activism of any kind. I know that this is quite different from social sciences where it was (perhaps still is) common to find students that were very outspoken against anything American (as well as many other things).
I don't know which kaserne was called Atterberry. Some were indeed replaced by modern office towers. One former US Army facility in Frankfurt however was declared a historic site and restored. It served as police academy for some time and now houses the German equivalent of the FBI (Bundeskriminalamt).

I do remember doing some TV conversions in those years to enable the reception of AFN (American Forces Network) which was broadcast in Germany using the NTSC standard. In some cases it was just a change of the crystal for the audio subcarrier to view AFN in BW, but in some TVs it was possible to install a NTSC demodulator (with varying amounts of surgery) for color tv while retaining the ability to also watch the German programs (using the PAL standard).
--

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Yes a few - 9G1LR, G5DWY and YB0AFA. Other locations reciprocal was in place.

Leibold - AFES sold a couple TV's that were combination PAL (both common scan rates) and NTSC. Samsung and Sony were two of the brands that I remember. The cost was vary reasonable and if my memory serves me correctly there somewhere between $75 and $100 over a regular NTSC set and $100 or so cheaper than buying a PAL TV on the local economy.

OldCableGuy

@planetcr.net
reply to leibold
I am sorry I totally misread the question.