share rss forum feed

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

Bought me some G-Oil

Well, I took the plunge and bought some G-Oil 5W-20 Bio-Based Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil: »www.getg.com/G-OIL/bio-based_adv···_oil.php

It just seems like a very innovative concept for such a matured product category... so I gotta give it a shot. I'm very interested to see how it performs as opposed to more established oils like Valvoline and Amsoil. Amazon has it currently priced at $8.42/qt including shipping: »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0095FVEC4/

I plan to pair it with a Napa Gold oil filter (basically a Wix), and see how it performs. As always, time will tell.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
After some additional research, I think the G-Oil paired with a NAPA Gold should be good for a 5-6K OCI. I'll start there before I take it out any longer with a NAPA Platinum filter (or equivalent).

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to SwedishRider
I still have yet to use their products, but I did some homework on their financials.. not so spiffy. Unless they get additional financing or bought out, looks like they may cease all operations.

Green Earth Technologies 10-K: »getg.ir.edgar-online.com/fetchFi···ype=HTML

It's a shame to see them fail. I read quite a few UOAs from BITOG indicating they make a fine synthetic motor oil (among many other products), especially their most recent formulas.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to SwedishRider
A great product, I hope they succeed. Innovation in this area is a difficult business, but there is a market for products that are more gentle on the environment.
I'll have to look into importing some of this for some of my vehicles.

Edit; one of the reviews mentioned that Wallyworld sells this oil.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
Yeah, UOAs show it really is a great product (with the newest formula performing extremely well). For example, here is a UOA on G-Oil 5W-30 (newest formula) extended over 10K miles: »www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub···t3134774

I'm hopeful they can find alternate financing or be bought out and allowed to continue... I think they are on to something very innovative here.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to SwedishRider
Click for full size
G-OIL 5W-20 Advanced Bio-Full Synthetic
Here it is, 4 qts. 5W-20 full synthetic ready to go in my truck soon. I'm anxious to see how it performs.. might get a UOA done in 5K miles.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
magnet the filter as well, just to see if there is any new filings made during usage.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
said by BonezX:

magnet the filter as well, just to see if there is any new filings made during usage.

How do you do that?!? I've never done that before..

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to SwedishRider
And as a sidenote, the bottle says to use for the maximum drain interval specified by the manufacturer. Normal service OCI for my Ford is 5K miles (severe service 3K miles). I plan to run it for the full 5K (some brave souls have run it for 10K+ with great UOAs ).

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
Canada

1 edit
reply to SwedishRider
you just stick a neodymium magnet on the end of the oil filter, steel shavings and aluminum that has been alloyed with ferrous compounds will stick to it.

or you could put one on the oil pan, but that kinda sketches me out a little.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
That's easy... but the only way to see if shavings actually accumulated would be to cut open the filter, correct?!?

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
Canada
yes

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to SwedishRider
said by SwedishRider:

Well, I took the plunge and bought some G-Oil 5W-20 Bio-Based Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil: »www.getg.com/G-OIL/bio-based_adv···_oil.php

It just seems like a very innovative concept for such a matured product category... so I gotta give it a shot. I'm very interested to see how it performs as opposed to more established oils like Valvoline and Amsoil. Amazon has it currently priced at $8.42/qt including shipping: »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0095FVEC4/

I plan to pair it with a Napa Gold oil filter (basically a Wix), and see how it performs. As always, time will tell.

so if I buy this oil I can pour it down the storm sewer? after Im done with it?

(theatrically speaking )

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
No, G.E.T. says to bring it to a used oil collection facility. After it's been used in an engine, it's contaminated from use in the engine (even though the oil itself is still biodegradable). Would not be safe to dump it down a storm drain.

But before using it in an engine, you could take the Advanced formula and pour it in your front yard with no ill effects... it's base stock is processed animal fats (beef tallon). It's toxicity is listed as "insignificant", and it's completely American made from American products. And it's API rated SM (with the non-Advanced formula rated SN): »www.getg.com/G-OIL_automotive.php

Pretty cool when you think about it.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Price is out of my budget for Full Synthetic

I use mobil1 Full Synthetic it cost about $25 +6 for a extra qt
10$ large oil filter + 10 oil change (labor cost). comes to about $51 that includes disposal

Should it then be organic oil?
"full synthetic" is some what misleading. regardless of the use of the word "advanced"

synthetic
(of a substance) made by chemical synthesis, esp. to imitate a natural product.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to SwedishRider
Assuming that they can keep their doors open and gain some traction in the market, prices on this stuff will tend to drop quickly, most likely. I've been using recycled oil for the past couple of years, and at first it was a bit more expensive, but then it dropped and now they regularly run oil change specials with it, where you can get the oil and filter for maybe $20 or $25 for a 5-quart bottle of the stuff. I'm old enough to remember when synthetics first came out, and while it took these a long time to gain traction and prices are still relatively high, things are a lot better here now than they used to be.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
Are you using Valvoline NextGen? If so, how do you like it?

scross

Cordova, TN
Yeah, NextGen is what I've been using. I haven't yet seen any difference between it and regular oil, but I'm not sure how I would really tell the difference anyway. BTW, typically what I do is make by own synthetic blend by throwing in a quart or maybe two of full synthetic and then topping off with NextGen, and using the NextGen to top off (if necessary) between oil changes.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
said by scross:

I haven't yet seen any difference between it and regular oil, but I'm not sure how I would really tell the difference anyway.

You could run a UOA after a your normal OCI and see how it comes back. That would yield some really good info as to what is going on in there. It's $18 per UOA (including TBN) plus shipping through Oil Analyzers (Polaris) with an Amsoil PC account.

scross

Cordova, TN
I may do something like that. I've had an empty Blackstone Laboratories container sitting here for a while now. I was planning to use it for a transmission fluid test, but I may use it for an engine oil test instead.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
said by scross:

I may do something like that. I've had an empty Blackstone Laboratories container sitting here for a while now. I was planning to use it for a transmission fluid test, but I may use it for an engine oil test instead.

That's cool. I have no real experience with Blackstone other than to say they are comparatively expensive and not ISO accredited to my knowledge (and Polaris is).

Blackstone charges $25 for analysis, and an extra $10 for TBN. Even without an Amsoil PC membership, OAI (which is Polaris) will do analysis and TBN for $22.45.

Either way you go, post your results here or at BITOG.

scross

Cordova, TN
OK, thanks for the info. I have three vehicles to keep up with now, and between having the oil and the transmission fluid tested this could end up getting expensive.