spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

johnt519

join:2003-10-16

Yet another Charter outage?

Once again, Charter goes down (in the Worcester, MA area at least). Started last evening, around midnight. Called, said it was "scheduled maintenance until 6am". Gee, you would think a 6 hour maintenance window would warrant some sort of notification? Nahhhh.. this is Charter.. We'll just shut 'er down.

So is it up in the morning? Nahhhhh... Now it's a all-service outage. No info if (when?) it'll be back. Super.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

It went out at my place this morning around 6:40. I called Charter about 40 minutes later. The tech asked if I had a wireless router said they wanted me to go thru the process of removing it and power cycling the modem, which I had already done. I told them I had power cycled and the power led was on, ds led was flashing and all others were out. Then the rep checked and said there was an outage and Charter techs were in route to fix it and there was no estimate to it being restored. When I left for work service was still out.
I wasn't using it last night so I don't know if it was stable.

Charter business service downtown has been up since sometime over the weekend.
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

Techie01

@charter.com
reply to johnt519

The reason for the outage was because at the main headend in Worcester, they had a FM200 explosion happen, the entire building had to be evacuated because the powder from it eats all the oxygen in the air.

Meathax
Looking for better Pings

join:2010-10-24
Cherry Valley, MA
reply to johnt519

This is why I'm hesitant to get my phone service through charter. My phone could be down and I wouldn't even know it. I live in Leicester, but I think the Charter service in Worcester is even worse

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to johnt519

This is not uncommon for residential service, anywhere. Enterprise business customers, with an SLA, typically get a notification about any anticipated downtime.

sharkyfour

join:2002-06-20
Windham, CT

As a business customer with a mix of both fiber and coax product, that doesn't always hold true. I get notification of any planned outage on the fiber side, even if it's just 30 seconds to reboot a switch. On the coax side, I get no notifications. I've asked for them, but they say they aren't able to provide them for the coax side, which doesn't sound quite right to me.

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

Enterprise business, i.e. fiber.

Eyeballs
Premium
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA
reply to Techie01

said by Techie01 :

The reason for the outage was because at the main headend in Worcester, they had a FM200 explosion happen, the entire building had to be evacuated because the powder from it eats all the oxygen in the air.

Didn't that same thing happen a year or 2 ago at the same building? Because your wording is eerily similar to a Worcester Fire Dept response a few years ago.
--
Team Discovery--BBR Team Helix--Cuz I Care!!